1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Certifit hood and blending (Super White)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gneitzke, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Aug 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    gneitzke

gneitzke [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Offroad 4x4
    So I think I am going to pickup a certifit hood with the scoop for my 2006 offroad tacoma. The shop offered me to paint it for 200 out the door cash as long as they don't have to install it and I just bring it in. This works for me since I can take it to them in my Wife's highlander or just lay it in my truck. They are going to base the paint on my Vin. I asked about blending and they said that it would be 400 total out the door since they need to install/remove the old hood to properly blend.

So with that being said, the truck is a 2006 (made July 2006) so it is just over 5 years old. How close do you think the paint will match based on no blending? The painter said Super White is pretty easy to shoot and should match without blending. Just curious on your experiences based on body work (or other certifit hoods) that were done

Thanks
    - Gary

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    As long as you kept up on your paint, detailed or buffed/waxed at least once a year, you will have no issues.

If you are one of those people who never washes their truck, then you might see some blending issues.

Lack of wax leads to UV fading. UV Fading means your paint wont match :)

If you take care of your truck, and the paint don't match, I'd blame it on your body shop.... but I doubt you will have any issues.

My truck is an 07, spent no time in a garage in its life. I (at minimum) throw some wax on it at least once every 6 months or so. I just did a satoshi grill where I rattle canned the front grill surround and it matched perfectly.

3. Aug 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    Hmmmm.

If it were me I'd have the paint matched to your vehicle.

Over time paint fades, oxidizes, etc... kind of like your teeth. You'd want a cosmetic filling color/tint matched to your teeth, not "stock white".

I think you'll see the difference if you don't do it. And I know it would bother me.

The price, $400, sounds reasonable to me if they do the hood swap for you and do a premium job on the painting.

Anyone can shoot paint, but only some can do it well, and have the right facility to keep it free of contaminants.

4. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Not for nothing, but theres a reason body shops call Certifit, Sortafit.

You can buy a raw Sport hood for probably the same price, and for a couple hundred in paint, you have an OE hood.

5. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would pay the extra to have it matched but again I am anal like that when it comes to paint matching on my vehicles. If it were newer and they were using Standox and the paint was fairly new I would say you shouldn't have a problem but the truck is almost 6 years old. I have a 2010 and I accidentally keyed my own truck with a new watch I had on. I brought it to a buddy who has a shop that uses Standox and I was amazed at how perfect it matched after he mixed the paint. No real blending was necessary.

6. Aug 24, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    gneitzke

gneitzke [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Neoflex thanks for the tips on Standox I will ask them about it when I call them up.

Wild Jersey I checked the OEM price but it ~200 dollars more. I agree about non oem parts and being nervous, I have read both positive and negatives on the forum. It seemed most people were happy with the fit.

I am still pricing out this to see if it is worth it or not. I know it is a 50/50 split if people like them or not but I think they look pretty good. I am in the process of doing and engine build at the same time (headers + intake show up tomorrow, supercharger shows up in a few weeks as well as injectors/ecu, and valve body gets sent out next week). My budget is pretty tapped out so I am just weighing my options to get the hood. I agree on worrying about the matching on a truck >5 years old... choices choices I can call around to a few other shops as well to see their options.

7. Aug 24, 2011 at 11:44 PM
    supriseaztacoma

supriseaztacoma AZ it is a "dry heat"

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Surprise
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Crew Cab
    Please let me know how the hood fits! I am thinking of doing the same thing.. Regarding the paint matching your truck I would not be worried.. It is wht and non metallic..

8. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If it were me I'd find a paint shop that can scan the paint on your truck as it is today and mix the paint to match. That being said, I put a color matched 2011 superwhite grille on my 2007 and it matched perfectly so you'll most likely be fine. It'll look a little brighter but will fade out like the rest of the truck within a couple months. Clay bar the whole truck and polish it when you get the hood on and you'll never see the difference.

9. Aug 25, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    Give them the gas door to color match. White isn't a hard color to panel paint.white is one of the few colors you can get away with. Just make sure it's base coat/clear coat and not single stage. Single stage will die out in 2 years. $200 is really cheap and $400 to blend is crazy cheap.make sure they polish out dirt and orange peel out of clear coat

10. Aug 25, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Op, do you wash your truck regularly? Wax it frequently? Can you set a plastic bottle on your hood? (I'll explain that in a bit :) )

11. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    gneitzke

gneitzke [OP] Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Thanks for all the posts so far. I will ask if they are shooting single stage or not. Yesterday was just a quick call to see their pricing on the products. I had called them once before when we were thinking of changing our paint on our hotrod. My Wife had checked out their shop and said it was pretty nice, but I need to ask about matching + how many stages they paint. I will also ask about how much they do with the clear coat, I was surprised at the price as well and thought it was low.

The truck has been waxed once a year, waxing in Winter in Washington isn't that feasible, normally it is pretty chilly and rainy. It is due for a claybar again, I did my wife's highlander which is black and that took me forever last year so I skipped my truck.

The tips on leaving the gas door is a good idea then they can match closer. I should have a better idea on budget left after I decide which supercharger option I am going with.

Products Discussed in

To Top