1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CH4x4 switch wiring question with anytime backup cam mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hammertaco11, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jul 1, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    hammertaco11

hammertaco11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5 Pyrite Mica
    OME lift w/ HD Dakars Pro Comp 17" 7069 BFG KO2 275/70
    So I've searched all over and cant find an answer to this specific question, so I figured I'd see if any of you knew the answer,

I recently got the harness set for an 'anytime back up camera mod' that has basically 2 wires coming from the ground, a 12v power and a ground. I've hooked it up to a ch4x4 switch with 4 wires coming out. I hooked up the switch successfully so it functions properly, (off an on) my only problem is that the light on the switch that is supposed to be always on, isn't on.

Once the button is engaged, the light turns on, but it turns off once I disengage the function. I've tried hooking up a 12v wire from fuse panel, to the switch along with the wiring from the harness, which is how these switches are usually wired up, but all that happens is it engages the camera to turn on without even engaging the button. I've also tried many different combos of wiring this to work and havent found any correct combo.

Has anyone had this problem and was able to fix it? Is there a place on the switch's motherboard I can just tap into to get constant light or something?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      File size:
      397 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      File size:
      146.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Jul 1, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    desertrunner24

desertrunner24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Fresno , CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad 4x4
    Some
    CH4X4 Switch Wiring Connector.jpg if you have it wired like the pic shows you should be good. If not follow diagram

3. Jul 4, 2018 at 4:17 PM
    hammertaco11

hammertaco11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5 Pyrite Mica
    OME lift w/ HD Dakars Pro Comp 17" 7069 BFG KO2 275/70
    So just a heads up to those who wanna do this.... I tried more combinations and finally found one that worked. Its pretty close to the schematic the user above me posted, but the harness that plugs into the back of the radio that has a black and red wire coming out of it for the switch are wired up differently. The red wire from radio, which is positive, goes to the red 1, the Black wire from the radio goes to the Green and the Red 2, the black wire on the switch harness gets grounded.

Another important note, there does NOT need to be a separate power line running from the fuse panel. Trust me, I blew a couple IGN 1 fuses doing this, but I finally figured it out. The harness from the radio already supplies the power needed.

All it takes is some messing around with different combinations and eventually you'll get it.

Products Discussed in

To Top