1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Change key cylinders...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacopleasure, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    tacopleasure

tacopleasure [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Ok so as most of you have known that my keys was stolen and they have been entering my truck so now I've come to a conclusion that I will change all my lock cylinders; front two doors, and the ignition. Now my question is how hard is it to change these lock cylinders and how do I reprogrammed them or i need to take it into the dealer to do this for me.

I went to several dealers today and they've told me the cylinder and keys alone cost roughly $530 and the labor fee including the reprogram fee is $420 for a 4 and a half hours of work. So total came out to be close to 1K. :mad:

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    What I would do is setup these SOB's and have you and some of your bud's waiting for them fully armed to the teeth.

.357-.45 > 32" 30oz. Big Stick Rawlings wood baseball bat. That is a pretty easy one for me!

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    usnatclee

usnatclee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 corvette 12 Camaro 13 And Wrangler
    (SOLD)4 Bilstein 5100's, OME885s, 2" Toytec AAL rear, 3" total lift, 285/70/R17 BFG MTX on stock rims, AIRAID cold air intake w/ secondary filter removed, CB radio w/ firestik shorty antenna, custom bumper and sliders from those guys rod and customs, URD stage 3 competition clutch, Tom Woods one piece double cardan drive shaft, and URD short throw shifter.
    Go buy a camera set it up to catch them on film. Then go to the police. Or find afew friends wait for the guy then citizens arrest him and call the police. Both are good options. Even better catch him on film as evidence for when you turn him over to the police.

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    As per your other thread, only the dealer can reprogram your ECU. Its just as well to take the truck to a dealer. Although to change the cylinder in the door is fairly straight forward, when you change the cylinder in the steering column you will have to take the truck to the dealer anyways as the dealer will have to program your truck to read the new key that operates your new ignition cylinder. But since you installed a new cylinder at home, you now can't drive the truck to the dealer because the new key doesn't match the ECU programming.

Your cheapest solution is to have your key less entry remote security code changed and your security code for your key changed as well. This will prevent the perp from entering your truck via the remote and starting the truck since his key code is no longer valid. Next step is to go to a locksmith and have your door cylinder re keyed. You'll have to use a second key for the doors but it is a cheaper alternative to what you describe. The perp can no longer open the door with a key or remote, and can't start the truck because the security code has been changed. Your cheapest solution.

Personally, as I stated in your other thread, go to your insurance company if you don't want to pay out of pocket for the full repair. You had your CB radio stolen, some items on your truck damaged, and need $1,000 worth of re-keying and security reprogramming. This is why you pay insurance premiums. Somebody entered your truck, damaged it, stole your belongings, and now its up to either you or your insurance company to pay to have it fixed. No cheap way to do it properly. Cheapest method is a re key of the door and use a second key (if you already have your truck reprogrammed).

For those who missed the other thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/66382-lost-key-2.html#post1251500

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I just reread your post and see you said "keys" were stolen and that they are "entering" your truck.

Wasn't just one key stolen?

Have they returned and entered your truck a second or third time?

Your description makes it sound like multiple occasions.

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    ok seriously lets think about this

"someone" "stole" your key

that "someone" is apparently entering your truck on a regular basis

has it not occurred to you that it may be a friend of yours fucking with you?

who the fuck would go in your truck more than once WITH THE KEY and not steal the whole damn truck

7. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    It was just the masterkey and the keyless entry remote. I live in the state of California. This morning was the second time they entered into my car. I know this because after the first break in I had removed the battery cable so they can't use my keyless entry remote and this morning I found that my driver side door was opened. 12am this morning I went out to check on my car with my brother and everything was seem to be in place and locked up...

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    are they taking stuff out of your truck?

9. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    ^^^ first time they stole my cb and dug up my truck, second time (this morning) nothing was taken but I'm scare they're targetting my avic D3...I need to do something about this asap before the worst can happen. I'm planning to camp in my car because my rear cab are fully limo tinted so they can't see in but I can see out very clearly and until then i'll jump out and scare the life out of them.

10. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    boy thats a great idea since you dont even know who it is :rolleyes:

did you report any of the happenings to the police and maybe get a report so that insurance can help on the cost?

or maybe...it really is one of your friends...its odd that they have the keys and arent just flat out taking the truck

11. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    Fly me out to Cali and ill gladly keep watch overnight. gimme some armament and ill be a happy man!

12. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    my friend wouldn't be that much of a dick to rip out my cb and dug up my whole car up like a trash can...^^^ shit i hate jackasses like these, one of these night i'll catch them soon...

13. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you only have 1 friend?

its still suspicious that the truck hasnt been taken

14. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    when and where from were your keys stolen from

15. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    I think my dad or my mom went to my car and accidently dropped the key in the back of my apartment so somehow bad people got ahold of it and start doing bad stuff. my friends are mostly from different counties and only one of my closest friend live across the street and he is very mechanically challenged.

16. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    then your key was not stolen

it was lost and then found by people you dont want to have it...

17. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    either way it still consider lost...I don't think they would want to steal a newer model car because it can be every easily tracked down, whoever it is must be really hungry and want some quick cash, Hell they even stole my GF bag of beef jerky...

18. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    unless your toyota has onstar or lojack the age doesnt make it easier or harder to track down

someone is fucking with you

19. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    whoever it is...they're going to jail soon for this F$cked Up shit that they're doing...They can just simply find me and politely return the keys i'll give them some money as gratitude...

20. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    but in the end...if your keys were in fact lost/stolen and youre concerned about your truck you NEED to rekey the truck...period

2nd theres a lot thats fishy about this story

3rd waiting in your truck to "kick someone's ass" is premeditation...enjoy jail with the "bad people"

Products Discussed in

To Top