1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Change key cylinders...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacopleasure, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM
    tacopleasure

tacopleasure [OP] Active Member

Member:
    ^^ why would i be in jail for waiting to beat them up and hiding in my own truck? and what fishy about this story?

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    assault and battery

lying in wait like that to attack someone...even if its your truck...is more than likely frowned upon in a court of law

you never answered my question about getting police reports for the initial "break-in" or the 2nd one

again...its ODD that the truck hasnt been taken outright

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    First break in I reported, second break in there was nothing stolen so why would I call the police for?

after the first break I started to be cautious and put a steering wheel lock. Beside I don't think whoever breaking in my truck he just wants to find stuff that easy to grab and not take the whole car with him...

how is it assault and battery against the thief trying to break into my car?

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Lets say you did just that. The guy comes up, opens your door, and you attack him. You give him a good whuupin, and he takes off. Now....Lets say he calls the cops. His story is as follows:

I saw something move near my neighbors truck. I went to it and saw nothing. I checked to make sure they locked it, and when the door popped open, this guy attacked me..........

You were lying in wait. You attacked him. You do NOT know if its the guy breaking into your truck, or a good samaritan. Thus, you would be going to jail. To add. If a prosecutor found this post and read the part "I'll wait in my truck and kick their ass...." There is pre meditation.

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    what if that guy has my key in his hand and I gave him a good whooping and cops gets there?

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Then you still go to jail. Maybe he was returning the key to you?

7. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    that's stupid...but I already reported the key was lost and stuff were stolen out of my truck so there no way that guy can walk away free

8. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you still cant just attack someone

9. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    ok...what's the best option I have? videotape them? how is the cop gonna see their face even if they're caught in the act?

10. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i think the best option is to rekey the truck...or call the cops WHILE theyre in the truck

11. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    rekey the truck is way too expensive, I'm having second thought on that unless I can call around junk yard and be able to find a used set of key then that would be great

12. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:32 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    out of curiosity

is it more expensive to rekey or replace the truck

13. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    tacopleasure

Member:
    so my insurance won't cover it if my car was stolen/damaged by the thief?

14. Dec 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    theyre more likely to cover stuff if you have police reports

15. Dec 28, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    I've got to ask, how old are you? No offense, but you don't seem too far on the maturity scale and I'm willing to bet you aren't making the payments on the truck either - as anyone who is forking out their hard earned cash would have been more proactive.

I've been following this closely since you first posted your problem last week and have been offering you legitimate advice throughout the whole ordeal, as have others. Anyone with half a clue and any motivation at all would have done something to rectify the problem by now - even if it meant parking the truck across town at a friend or family members home, where the thieves wouldn't find it.

This whole scenario has been dragging out now for over a week, and you continue to ask for the same advice over and over and over.

When you originally posted last week that you lost a key and was worried, lots of people gave you advice - you ignored it and the truck was broken into.

When you posted that the truck was broken into and your CB radio was stolen, you were given advice and you ignored it - the truck was entered AGAIN.

This brings us to the present and you are still asking for advice trying to find a $5 fix to solve YOUR problem. If you don't have the cash in hand, contact your insurance company. If you don't want to go through your insurance company, park the f---ing truck somewhere where they won't find it. Take a bus, walk, do something. Explain the situation, leave it at the dealer, anything. Is there another vehicle in your home? Why not park the truck really close to an object on one side where the door cannot be opened even a hair. Take the second vehicle and park it super close to the other door so it can't be opened either. The next morning move the second vehicle, climb into your truck and drive away.

There are literally dozens of things you could do to temporarily aid your situation if you would bother to think outside the box and engage your brain. I for one have spent lots of time thinking and posting advice for you on the subject - but no more. I call TROLL because I really don't think anyone is this stupid.

Good day gentleman, and Happy Holidays!

16. Dec 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    notbrigum

notbrigum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 double cab 4x4
    TRD intake, Magnaflow exhaust, billet grille, tube steps
    Seriously, laying in wait for.. thieves, hungry or not is potentially life threatening. You've no idea if they have weapons. Forget who's right/wrong as it's hard to defend/explain to police with a knife in your belly or maybe you simply fall out of the truck in the fight and hit your head, HARD and get left on the ground with head injuries.
    Please, don't go looking for trouble.
    If someone has a key you have several probs; they can ENTER your cab untill you rekey your door locks, they can START the vehicle until you reprogram. As I understand it.. you should not have to rekey the ignition. It might be nice to do so (you get 1 key that does it all but there is significant cost I believe.. in rekeying your ignition and it's not needed to prevent them from starting the vehicle). If you don't rekey the ignition, you'll end up with 1 new key for the doors and your original key for your ignition. This is probably the cheapest solution. You should still have the dealer erase all key codes from the ignition computer and then reprogram it to your remaining keys. I suspect if you buy a new spare from them, they'll erase/reprogram for the cost of the key. If not, I think any locksmith can. Call and see. Hell, probably $300 total?
    Your lost key will no longer operate your new door locks but IF you were to leave a door open the worst they should be able to do is put the key in and turn the ignition to ON. It should not start as the dealer/locksmith will wipe ALL key codes and them reprogram it. They can listen to your radio, but not start the motor.
    The proper.. thing to do though is expensive, it's to rekey both the doors and the ignition locks. It's just expensive. Insurance claim. Dealer work. $500 deductible? Do it right. $200 difference between half-ass job and two keys or having it done right and one key does it all and with guarantees? No brainer for me.. But do something. Good luck. Keep us posted? Regards, Bill

17. Dec 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    I think you should listen to tigerfan00 and Chris4x4 they know alot about vehicles and the laws. Espicaly tigerfan. If it was a big deal, you probably would have done something besides park your truck in the same spot every night.

Products Discussed in

To Top