1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing Rear Differential Oil on 05 Tocoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by parfleet, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Jul 12, 2007 at 7:15 PM
    parfleet

parfleet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Pensacola, FL.
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner, SR5 Package, 4.0 Engin
    Front Bush Guard with 100 Watt Driving Lights, Color Match Tonel Cover. Cold Air Intake By True Flow,added an additional 26 HP.
    I shall start getting prepared for a 30,000 miles service on my 05 Pre-Runner, V6 Engine, 2 Wheel-Drive soon. Changing the spark plugs should be pretty start forward I would think. In reviewing the Maintenance Book that came with the vehicle it indicates the rear differential oil must be changed at 30,000 miles if the vehicle came with a "limited slip differential." First, how do I kow if I have a limited slip differential and if I do then do I have to install 100% limited slip differential oil. My experience with GM vehicles is that use use standard 80/90 weiight oil but put in a limited slip differential additive. And just how do I change the oil. For instance, is there a drain plug and a fill plug. Or do I have to drop the differential plate, remove the oil gasket, install a new gasket and/or black high temp RTV and then fill with oil?

Anybody got the straight poop on this?

Thanks!

Rex from Pensacola, FL.:mad:

2. Jul 13, 2007 at 5:48 AM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you have a LSD, there will be a sticker on the rear differential that will say "LSD" some place. If it is a elocker or just open differential, the sticker will not say "LSD" anywhere.

I use a rear differential oil (Redline) on my LSD Miatas that is specifacially made for LSD's because it has the additives already included. I have read that you can buy some LSD additives that will allow you to convert regular "open diff" oil to LSD oil, but I have never tried them.

As for your differential, yes it has a seperate drain and fill plugs, so you do not have to remove the back plate.

3. Jul 13, 2007 at 1:58 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    drain plug on bottom to the right(when you drain it, lift driver side rear of truck a bit to completely drain), and fill plug is is the one your looking at when you look at the diff. i used mobil1 in mine(rear locker) it took 3 quarts. the lsd's take close to 3 quarts, and a bottle(or tube) of lsd additive. i will recommend using a synthetic like mobil1,redline or royal purple. to me,synthetics make a difference.

it is an easy process.....removing the spare makes it really easy, but if you dont want to remove it, i suggest you getting a small bottle pump(available at autozone,wal-mart,etc.), as it will make life easier for ya when you are filling your diff. hope this helps!!

4. Sep 26, 2007 at 6:22 AM
    bock10

bock10 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 4x4
  5. Sep 26, 2007 at 7:30 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    do you really have to change the differential fluid at 30,000?

there's Transfer case oil and also the front too?

cost a bit much to do it no?

6. Sep 26, 2007 at 8:32 AM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    It all depends on how long you want to keep your truck in good shape. If you do not care, then never change you fluids till the truck dies or parts wear out.

Remember, it's your fluids that prevent or slow down wear and tear in these areas. So the more ofter you change your fluids (to a point), the better your mechanicals stay in good shape.

7. Sep 26, 2007 at 11:18 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    i understand it needs fluid change to maintain the vehicle in good conditions.
    but if I do it, I dont want to screw it up and if i let the shop to do it, its going to cost me a lot of money...

8. Sep 28, 2007 at 4:49 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    pay now or pay later

9. Feb 18, 2016 at 2:43 AM
    tacom7

tacom7 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    None
    Hi Tacomaman06
    I have a 07 Tacoma, I assume that it will need the same amount of fluid that you wrote (3 quarts), but I still have 4 questions:
    1) can you tell me the viscosity of the oil
    2) I have a button in the car that says RR Diff Lock, does that mean the truck has LSD.
    3) Can you tell me the brand of the LSD additive, and it's viscosity if there is any.
    4) is there a specific amount of torque to tighten the nut after I fill the oil.
    I read all the manual when I purchased the vehicle, and there is no mention of this type of oil, except for in the maintenance schedule to change it every 15,000 miles. so your help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

10. Feb 18, 2016 at 2:51 AM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    @tacom7

1) can you tell me the viscosity of the oil - owner's manual under Specs - get to know that area. http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM35869U/pdf/07omsour/2007/07tacoma/8.pdf pg 405
    2) I have a button in the car that says RR Diff Lock, does that mean the truck has LSD. - you have the TRD off road model which means you do not have LSD
    3) Can you tell me the brand of the LSD additive, and it's viscosity if there is any. - you won't need it.
    4) is there a specific amount of torque to tighten the nut after I fill the oil. - 36 ft/lb of torque.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top