1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing rear end

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by robinsonda1, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Mar 27, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    robinsonda1

robinsonda1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport Pre-Runner v-6 auto
    Does anybody know if there is a good rear end out there for the tacoma? I have the 6 speed and was considering getting the auto particularly because the 6th gear isn't that tall and the RPMs are kind of high while cruising on the highway. I thought if I could find the right rear end it might lower them a bit and save me some $$$.

2. Mar 27, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    No, you are right, with 4x4 if you want to change gears you would want to change both the front and rear gear sets. Otherwise when in 4X4 the tires would no rotate at the same speed, and that would be bad juju.

3. Mar 27, 2008 at 7:49 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not exactly sure what you're asking.... but... The differences in gearing you're talking about (auto vs manual) is within the transmission - not the differential. You can change the gears in your differential to gain more power - but that doesn't change the difference in gearing between the transmissions.

If you're looking for more power = higher rpm's = more gas usage but better response for passing. If you're looking for less gas usage = lower rpm's = less response for passing.
    When you change the gears in the differential - it'll affect ALL gears 1st-6th.

I have an auto - but I'm really surprised the toyota didn't gear them better for 6th gear (cruising).

What RPM's are you getting while going 60mph ?

4. Mar 27, 2008 at 7:54 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    I know what he wants to do, he wants to change the gearing in the diffs so you have a higher overall ratio so you would be driving faster in any gear at a given RPM. Just like you Rock crawlers lower the ratios to have super slow crawling action, he wants his truck set up for better fuel efficiency on the highway.

5. Mar 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    As a note though, by doing what you want, you will gain overall speed, but you will lose torque, and towing capacity.

Products Discussed in

To Top