1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chassis "Click"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChrisGralnic, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Mar 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    ChrisGralnic

ChrisGralnic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    06 Prunner with AAL and Trd suspension W/lift
    Previous owner used to haul heavy loads, so he put an AAL on it and TRD front suspension with a lift and custom rear suspension for added weight capacity. I recently installed a tow package (Curt with lifetime warranty) So i will definitely see what this thing can handle as far as weight goes.
    My truck makes a clicking sound somewhere in the chassis when i start from a stop. its been doing it more lately and has recently started doing it when shifting to second. Is it maybe the leaf springs? I'm not sure. sometimes i feel it coming from the front, sometimes from the rear. When it happens in the rear, it does it when i press the clutch. Any advice? I read another thread from a similar symptom and they said it was axle wrap. That was with an automatic trans. I asked my ROP Auto Instructor what axle wrap was and he had no clue. (25 year ASE technician) I don't feel as though thats what it is cause i feel the click in the front too. (i have a prerunner)

2. Mar 22, 2013 at 9:50 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    axle wrap as i understand is when you load the rear axle with power, and it twists opposite of tire rotation because the rear springs are weak/ spring perch is too small. goes back to the ol' "every action has an equal and opposite reaction" saying from physics.

as the axle twists, the driveline must shrink or grow with the changing pinion angle. the driveline has a slip-yoke that is non-serviceable, so after some time it can become sticky and make noises, wierd thuds, all kinds of crazy stuff. i dont know if this could be your problem, but, thats my understanding of axle wrap

3. Mar 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    Previous owner used to haul heavy loads, so he put an AAL on it and TRD front suspension with a lift and custom rear suspension for added weight capacity. I recently installed a tow package (Curt with lifetime warranty) So i will definitely see what this thing can handle as far as weight goes.
    Thanks a lot man, When you say weak suspension, what are you referring to? cause, I have a pretty heavy duty suspension mod... AAL and very stiff shocks.. The sound happens mostly when i am at a stop sign with clutch in, and in gear. When its my turn to go, and i let off the clutch and accelerate. or when i don't rev quite enough when releasing the clutch it will do it too. (1200-1500) my muscle memory automatically revs it to 2000 now and lets it drop as i let go of the clutch to about 1400 sometimes lower. 4cl

4. Mar 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    If it is axle wrap, and its normal,and won't hurt anything, that's cool i'll live with it.. I just notice every noise and sensation when driving my truck. I'm a total maniac about maintaining and preventing future issues with this thing.

5. Mar 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum

this kind of sounds like how my truck was before i did the aal. mine wasn't audible but i could feel it shudder at takeoff. like what a burnt or glazed flywheel would feel like. if your really up for it, try taking the slip yoke appart and greasing it, see if that solves the click

6. Mar 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch, Sherpa Grand Teton/Crows nest, Baja Designs S8 light bar, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights
    axle wrap...
    [​IMG]
    Spring wrap is caused by the torque of the axle when accelerating and/or braking. Inserting lift blocks amplifies spring wrap by allowing the axle to impart more leverage upon the springs simply because it is mounted further away from the springs. Since you have aal's you more than likely won't get axle wrap (i don't with mine.) Check to make sure your u-bolts are correctly torqued. I believe it's 73 ft lbs.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. Mar 24, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    I have AAL's and i still get them. I will try tightening my u bolts are torqued right. If someone added the leaf themselves they might not have tightened them right.

8. Mar 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully i haven't burnt my flywheel :O i just had it resurfaced when i got my clutch replaced 7,000 miles ago.

9. Mar 26, 2013 at 12:43 AM
    ChrisGralnic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern cali
    Vehicle:
    So i towed my trailer and did some light off roading with my truck and the click went completely away even after i dropped the trailer and drove around all day.. I'm not complaining :) :D

Products Discussed in

To Top