1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheap gas cans!

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by DansSr5, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Mar 19, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    DansSr5

DansSr5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sr5 double cab silver 4x4
    P265/75/16 Destination AT stock wheels 12v socket bed pocket install diy Truck bed beer bottle opener No drill hidden/uv5r ham radio installed GoPro hero 5 session Center console organizer and top tray Front air dam delete Sidestep delete Add factory mudguards Recovery/equipment: Everything fits behind or under the seat Tool roll up bag Battery terminal cleaner Electrical grease for terminals Digital multimeter Alternator tester 4 gauge jumper cables Breaker bar with 19&21mm sockets Viair compressor Tire deflator Tire repair kit Tarp Hitch with d-ring Standard hitch 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 open ended hitch wrench Rope Ratcheting tie downs Tire gauge Cellphone charger wall/socket adaptors Gloves Recovery strap Crowbar Mighty might fishing pole Small tackle box First aid kit Michelin road atlas (4) 1 liter water bottles in rear doors 1 empty grey plastic ammo can (not sure what to put in it yet).
  2. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:44 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    10 to 1 that wouldn't last more than a year or two if it's stored outside on the vehicle.

Wulf and verynearlypure like this.
  3. Mar 20, 2019 at 11:46 AM
    verynearlypure

verynearlypure Clean & Decent

Member:
    First Name:
    Ernest
    The Buckeye State
    Vehicle:
    2015 BRM DCSB TRD OR
    Ray 10’s & Basic Bastard Goodies
    Especially if filling with ethanol.

4. Mar 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    DansSr5

DansSr5 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sr5 double cab silver 4x4
    P265/75/16 Destination AT stock wheels 12v socket bed pocket install diy Truck bed beer bottle opener No drill hidden/uv5r ham radio installed GoPro hero 5 session Center console organizer and top tray Front air dam delete Sidestep delete Add factory mudguards Recovery/equipment: Everything fits behind or under the seat Tool roll up bag Battery terminal cleaner Electrical grease for terminals Digital multimeter Alternator tester 4 gauge jumper cables Breaker bar with 19&21mm sockets Viair compressor Tire deflator Tire repair kit Tarp Hitch with d-ring Standard hitch 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 open ended hitch wrench Rope Ratcheting tie downs Tire gauge Cellphone charger wall/socket adaptors Gloves Recovery strap Crowbar Mighty might fishing pole Small tackle box First aid kit Michelin road atlas (4) 1 liter water bottles in rear doors 1 empty grey plastic ammo can (not sure what to put in it yet).
    I agree. I keep them in the garage just in case. Do you guys keep them on your trucks full time?

5. Mar 20, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Certainly not if it's a plastic one. The metal jerry cans I wouldn't have a problem leaving them on, but then you have to worry about theft.

But I have essentially that can that I use for my weedeater's pre-mix. They are cheap, flimsy and the valve broke way too easily. I wouldn't trust it to hold up getting bounced around on a truck all day long, even if you keep it in a camper shell (which you shouldn't really do anyway).

Just spend the extra $20 or $30 and get a more sturdy can.

I have a pretty nice 5 gallon jug I got for my motorcycle. I've had well over a decade. I tend to leave it in the bed of my truck when I'm riding, but I definitely store it in my garage.

basically one of these:
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/lc-lc2-utility-jug-with-12"-filler-hose-p

6. Mar 20, 2019 at 5:10 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Cheapest gas can that actually works. They sell these at Lowes and Home Depot for about $45. I picked up 2 that way, 2 more from Amazon at about $35 each and another 2 at yard sales for about $10 each

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-...82&s=gateway&sprefix=eagle+gas,aps,145&sr=8-2

The funnel won't work to gas up a vehicle if attached to the can, but it comes off. Place funnel in gas filler and pour gas in. It isn't vented, but gas goes in pretty easy with no mess.

These are a little better, but not enough to justify the cost

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003FZB3N0/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

7. Mar 20, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    I store mine outside near where my stack of firewood is located. Once a week I'll pour 1-2 cans into either my Honda or the Tacoma and fill the empties up when I fill up my F150. I have a system where I rotate the cans so the gas gets used up within a month and doesn't get old. It also gets used in the ATV's, lawn mower, chain saws, etc. and I always have a 30 gallon supply for the generator if needed.

8. Mar 29, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    That sounds like a lot of work, lol

The gas in one of my cans is easily a year old (stored inside). Lawn mower still runs fine on it.

9. Mar 30, 2019 at 6:38 PM
    huachuca

huachuca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD DC w/TRD offroad
    Are you running fuel with ethanol in your small engines?

Scepter MFC’s are expensive but the best I’ve found. Mine are over ten years old and have taken a beating but are holding up well.

10. Mar 31, 2019 at 12:13 AM
    shawn3210

shawn3210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    2018 turd offroad 2wd
    stock
    Where can we order the scepter mfc?

11. Mar 31, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    huachuca

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    They're not too hard to find if you don't mind paying a premium https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Scepter-FUEL-CAN-MILITARY-20Liter-5-4-Gallon-/123688268610 I live near several large military bases and they often show up for sale on Craigslist. Around here, $50 used in good condition seems to be a reasonable price. I think there are a few threads on this board about them.

ebay sold items for reference https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0&_osacat=0&_odkw=max+axe&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Do your research as there are a lot of variables; A few things to be aware of:
    - Scepter is a Canadian company that makes several grades of fuel/water containers; You want the military model FUEL can
    - Make sure it has a Viton gasket (grayish black color as opposed to black)
    - You'll probably need to buy a spout as I don't usually see those included with the container
    - You'll need a cap wrench; The caps fit really tight

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Mar 31, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    shawn3210

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    2018 turd offroad 2wd
    stock
    Thank you!

13. Mar 31, 2019 at 6:15 PM
    shawn3210

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    2018 turd offroad 2wd
    stock
    What’s the best way to get the gas from the mfc into the tank without spilling everywhere? Lol

14. Apr 1, 2019 at 4:56 AM
    huachuca

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    Most of us use a spout w/ 3/4" hose for gas. Diesel uses a larger hose. I suppose a funnel could work..........maybe.

Finding one ain't the problem https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCEPTER-Mi...493624&hash=item5465db61ed:g:crAAAOSwmNlbwqgp

Finding one at a reasonable price is a little more difficult.

Videos are on the web of how to make your own.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Apr 3, 2019 at 5:12 PM
    Harvo

Harvo Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    Look up super siphon on Amazon. So easy and fast... no spillage.

16. Aug 14, 2019 at 11:50 PM
    Eselkopf1

Eselkopf1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    https://swissarmyvehicles.com/surplus/51/SAV9101-4/army-utility-jerry-can-20l-set-of-4

I got 2 of these and just strap em down and run a siphon. Works way too easy.

I use just a two pieces of hose but I was looking at these siphons. https://safetysiphon.net/pages/how-to-use-the-siphon

I just use a piece of hose with a few 1/2 inch washers slipped on the end for weight so they sit in the bottom of the can the other end in the tank. Then a second 2 foot hose I put just barely in the gas can. Cover the gas can spout with my hands and a rag or something and make a half-ass seal. Blow in the small hose to make some pressure (like I am inflating the gas can) and the siphon starts in the other hose into the tank super easy. Just using regular 3/8 fuel hose. Works great. I can't siphon 100% of the gas I always end up with an inch of so at the bottom. But it works great.

Alot like this vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpHqraOdMDs

I am an exploration geologist in Nevada. The middle of nowhere Nevada. 77 miles to a gas station Nevada. Love these gas cans. I bought 2 to start. Might end up getting 2 more.

Hamer95USA and kimw880 like this.
To Top