1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cheap paint?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by kris219, May 22, 2009.

1. May 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    kris219

kris219 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    miami
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd
    spindle lift with dakar leaf pack, blacked out headlights and tailights, satoshi, debadged, HID headlights n fogs, flowmaster 40 single in dual out
    i was washing my car today and i noticed all these little black dots all over the place. some of them i was able to scrub off but a lot of it is too hard to get off. so i was wondering if its just tiny chips in the paint. i kinda got the feeling that toyota either uses cheap paint or they dont lay it on thick enough. does anyone else feel this way.

2. May 22, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    those spots are probably dead bug remains that get embedded in the paint. try a clay bar and see what that does. afterwards, you'll need to polish and wax also. the clay will really clean the paint well.

3. May 22, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    try some dryer sheets to get the bugs off then do what Will (tacomaman06) said

4. May 23, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It can also be tar/rubber flung off the road. Clay bar oughta take care of anything you have on there.

On a similar note- The paint isn't amazing. It chips pretty easily and doesn't stand up to rubbing/pinstriping well.

5. May 23, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are they tiny black balls?

Do you park next to mulched areas?

If Yes - I've heard its from the mulch. Mulch Spores or something.

I get them all the time and its been worse these last couple years. The ones I can't get off, I've been using a clay bar on.

6. May 23, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Try clay or bug and tar remover. Just be sure to wax the areas when you're done as both methods remove wax.

I'm very happy with my Toyota paint.

7. May 23, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    my truck is like that too. My dad has a older tundra, and he says that it was like that, but the paint seemed to harden up after a few years.

Products Discussed in

To Top