1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cheaper 4x4's on the west coast?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seligman, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    seligman

seligman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I might be moving to the midwest next year.

A friend told me 4x4 Tacomas might be cheaper in Southern California - where demand is lower - compared to other parts of the country. I'll need a 4x4 for the winter.

If this is true, how much cheaper in SoCal?

2. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    My understanding is california has insane taxes, and I would think that would completely defeat any savings due to lower demand, but I don't know.

You could try getting some price quotes over the phone where you are and where you'll move, and see where you start out.

3. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    we are charged 8.75 in some counties are inthe 9s. But from somewhere else...I am sure they ship more 4x4 so you get more somewhere else where has if there is one available here people usually pick it up.

Tri

4. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    seligman

Member:
    If this job goes through, I would buy a 4x4 just before moving and register it to my new midwest address. I'm talking just a few days before.

I wonder if I can get around being taxed by CA?

5. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I believe if you buy it in CA and immediately move, you can register AND pay sales tax in the new state, assuming you make sure the stealer doesn't roll sales tax in. If you tell them you're now living in whichever state, you should be able to do that.

Typically you have 30 days.

6. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    taxes for vehicle registration fees are in the state registered, not purchased.

You will get hammered with "Welcome to California" fees is you purchase out of state and bring it to california.

7. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    seligman

Member:
    I'd be doing the opposite. Moving OUT of the California.

8. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    ITS A LIE!!! I looked high and low for a good 4x4 tacoma. I moved to socal from Upstate ny where you have 2 seasons spring and winter but i love it so i plan on moving home. Being i love the outdoors and offroading and i want to move home to snow i wanted a 4x4. REALLY hard to find used 4x4 tacomas here in socal. If you find a good used one with 30k it will cost you close to what a new one would cost in upstate ny. I went with a new one. The closest 2010 reg cab 4x4 was 500miles away in Sacremento and they wanted 23,000 + 8.75 sales tax. I bought mine in NY for 19,000+ 7% tax and had it shipped to cali for 1000. A little hastle but worth the couple gs i saved. Check autotrader and compare with your area

9. Oct 26, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    Masada

Masada Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    I bought my 05 Double cab 6spd TRD Off Road with 40k miles on it used at a dealership for $19800ish...Seems like a pretty good deal to what I have scene out there.

10. Oct 26, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    seligman

Member:
    Thank you.

I've spent my whole life in Southern California so I apologize for the ignorant question I'm about to ask. Do I need special rust proofing to protect the underside from salt and the other ctap they spray on the roads, or does that come standard?

Reason I ask, a friend who lives there already, just bought an Audi. He had to pay extra for the rust proofing. Apparently it didn't come that way from the factory.

11. Oct 26, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    05+ the frame has a greasy black film on it. that is the rust proofing. Also, get yor truck washed regularly and make sure the undercarraige is washed after every storm. I used to was my vehicle religiously lol every sunday unless it was storming. You want to make sure that salt doesnt build up under your truck.

I dont mean wash it with a hose i mean take it through a drive through with under carraige wash. the water is heated and if its below freezing get out and dry the seal around the door so they dont freeze shut.

12. Oct 26, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    BlueXenon

BlueXenon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles and Newport Coast
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic gray TRD sport
    Pro Comp 6" Stage 2 lift, N-Fab nerf bars, tinted windows, debadged, 6000k xenon headlights, 18" ProComp 7089 Wheels in black with BFG AT KO 33's, SnugLid tonneau cover, Line X'ed TRD skid plate. SOLD!
    Ive noticed that dealer lots ive been to in Los Angeles they have more prerunners on the lot vrs 4X4.

13. Oct 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    TRICOMA

TRICOMA Tacoma with the TRI package

Member:
    First Name:
    Tri
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC SB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    King Off-Road Shock Coilover 2.5 with Resi in the front. King Off-Road Shocks 2.5 with Resi's for the rears, Rear Spring TSB, KMC XD Enduros 16x8, Black Vinyl Fenders, Bed compartment locks, Cobra 19 DX IV with Lil Wil mag mount antenna, CoverKing Seat covers front and rear, Built Right UCAs, Aluminess Expedition Bumper, GY Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar 265/75-16, Custom hybrid style rock sliders.
    cali will always have more prerunners as we do not have the harsh condition like other states and prerunners will go through a lot. I bought a 4x4 for the off roading ability...not for snow or anything like that which is what people usually like 4x4 for. If it was going to be a pure street truck I would have gotten the prerunner 4x2 with TRD off Road. There are guys here in SD that get through a lot with just 4x2 and a locker.

To Top