1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check engine light on after cold air setup...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 07kKlR_TRD, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 8, 2007 at 1:59 PM
    07kKlR_TRD

07kKlR_TRD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Tacoma
    afe cold air intake
    Hey, So I installed an afe cold air intake on my 07 tacoma, trd sport v6 and a after i had got it all instaled the check engline light came on.. I figured it was because of the change in air flow or what not so I disconected the battery and reset the comp.. the light went away for a few hours and then came back on. Since then I put back the stock intake because i didnt want anything to get messed up.. has anyone else had this issue, is their a quick fix or do i need to get a programer if so does anyone have any recomendations or good web sites for performance parts. Thanks for the help!

2. Oct 8, 2007 at 2:46 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i think if you go ahead and burn a complete tank of gas, the light will correct itself. plus it will give it time to relearn the new mixture. unhooking the battery on these trucks doesnt reset anything but the clock. so go ahead and reinstall the afe, it isnt gonna hurt anything.

3. Oct 8, 2007 at 4:09 PM
    07kKlR_TRD

07kKlR_TRD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Tacoma
    afe cold air intake
    I figured the light would go away aswell but unfortunately it didnt.. maybe i need to give it another try, but thanks for the suggestion. Anyone else got some good tips??

4. Oct 8, 2007 at 4:47 PM
    kngharley

kngharley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca
    You will need to have the computer set up by a speed shop once you have the new intake installed. The computer is seeing too much air flow/oxygen for the emissions system. The computer wil not reset it's self it has to be told what the new set up is. You may want to check the paperwork that came with the intake for any flow rates ect to give to the speed shop. Thats why the check engine light comes on.

5. Oct 8, 2007 at 4:51 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    what is the dtc in the pcm????? Have friends at a toyo dealer???

6. Oct 8, 2007 at 7:44 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    It will go away after about a tank of gas. It goes away when you disconnect the batt because it has to learn the problem, then it will adjust itself. If you want the best out of your setup, pick up a URD MAF calibrator.

7. Jan 2, 2008 at 7:56 PM
    MATTRESS

MATTRESS Member

Member:
    LONG BEACH, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT ACCESS CAB 4x4 BLACK SAND PEARL
    DEFLAPPED, FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES TURN-DOWN BEFORE AXEL, VOLANT COLD AIR INTAKE, TRD FLOOR MATS AND SEAT COVERS.....THERES MORE TO COME, ITS EARLY.
    Yea I had the same prob. I just installed a VOLANT cold air system in my truck, and the next day it threw a code. I noticed that my truck was running through the gears differently then before. Right as its about to change gears (3rd or 4th gear) it revs slightly and then kicks into gear. Im not sure if this is related to the check engine or not, is it the computer doing this? I could also use some help from you guys...any ideas? (dont mean to intrude on your thread)

8. Jan 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

it will be like that for a few days until it learns the new air/fuel mix, then it will straighten out. cel should go away after a tank or 2 of gas.

9. Jan 4, 2008 at 6:48 PM
    MATTRESS

MATTRESS Member

Member:
    LONG BEACH, CA
    Vehicle:
    DEFLAPPED, FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES TURN-DOWN BEFORE AXEL, VOLANT COLD AIR INTAKE, TRD FLOOR MATS AND SEAT COVERS.....THERES MORE TO COME, ITS EARLY.
    but does that explain the gears acting strange?

10. Jan 4, 2008 at 6:59 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

i think it may seem like the gears are shifting funny....but more than likely,its the computer relearning everything, and it will be back to normal shortly. did you unhook the battery for a little while after the install?? im not saying this will automatically bring it back to normal...........but it may speed up the process if you havent done so yet.

11. Jan 6, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    MATTRESS

MATTRESS Member

Member:
    LONG BEACH, CA
    Vehicle:
    you could be right, but im pretty sure that the engine over revs before kicking into gear..I will reset the comp. tonight and see what happens........

12. Jan 6, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    it is an adaptive strategy software in the trans portion of the ECM. It constantly changes cells in shift points and patterns.

13. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:03 PM
    MATTRESS

MATTRESS Member

Member:
    LONG BEACH, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well today I reset the ECU and went for a short drive..I noticed that when I started it the RPMs seemed high, but after a minute it went down under 1500. Everything seemed to work fine on the road..it went through the gears smoothly..When I took my foot off the gas the engine reved a few times, but I figure thats just the ECU doing its work..For now everything is running good and the check engine is gone...we'll see how it goes.

so now that I reset the ECU the shifting set points should be where there supposed to be right? Is that just an automatic change according to air / fuel mixture? So If I removed a plastic cap in front of my CAI box to allow more air thats going to change the set points..?
    thanks

14. Apr 13, 2019 at 11:00 AM
    KUZMEN7

KUZMEN7 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Red Tacoma TRD
    So I have a question about the K&N intake. I read what others had to say about it but nobody mentioned anything about about feeling something different in there truck. I have a 2007 Tacoma TRD-Offroad and after the install my engine light turned and I noticed when my truck is in drive at a light that it was like trying to grasp for air in other words it felt like it was about to stall. Can this be a bad air sensor?

Products Discussed in

To Top