1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Checking for the towing package

Discussion in 'Towing' started by RustedTacos, May 5, 2021.

1. May 5, 2021 at 4:20 PM
    RustedTacos

RustedTacos [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I bought a used 2006 v6 Tacoma off road doublecab and am attempting to determine if it has everything involved in the complete "towing package". What is everything that is in the towing package and how can I check for it? I know there is an oil cooler and trans cooler under the hood - is there anything else I should check for?

Thanks!

Frucky likes this.
  2. May 5, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Oil cooler, trans cooler, group 27 battery, 170amp alternator, 7 pin trailer plug.

RustedTacos[OP] likes this.
  3. May 5, 2021 at 4:39 PM
    RustedTacos

Member:
    ok thanks - in the short term i won't need to pull a trailer - just a large load of heavy stuff in the truck bed. Out of these 5:

1. Oil cooler,
    2. trans cooler,
    3. group 27 battery,
    4. 170amp alternator,
    5. 7 pin trailer plug.

Is it true that I would need 3, 4 and 5 only if I'm pulling a trailer?

4. May 5, 2021 at 4:40 PM
    RustedTacos

Member:
    Also how can I identify the oil cooler and trans cooler?

5. May 6, 2021 at 4:28 AM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    You never said what you are towing, where you are towing and how often. The need for those items is unknown until we have more details. You probably will need a brake controller if you need any of those things. You may need Weight distribution as well.

GarlicFarts likes this.
  6. May 6, 2021 at 4:46 AM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Toyota trucks don't have a bed big enough to carry anything large, nor do they have enough payload to carry anything very heavy. For no more than you can actually carry in or on a Toyota you don't need anything special. But if equipped right you can PULL a trailer weighing 6500 lbs. To do that you will need the tow package components along with a brake controller and a WDH.

Key-Rei likes this.
  7. May 6, 2021 at 7:49 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    6500lb trailer behind a Tacoma...

I can only assume that WDH stands for Willingness (to) Die (in) Hell.

:bananadead:

rblalliance likes this.
  8. May 8, 2021 at 4:38 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Heyyo_Friday Will post memes for truck parts

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    As for check for the oil and trans cooler. Your oil filter housing with have to rubber coolant hoses going from it to the thermostat housing I believe. As for the trans cooler. If you look behind your grille on the lower right driverside you should see a tiny cooler there. Under the horns. Also I believe the extension from the water pump to the cooling fan is pink

RustedTacos[OP] likes this.
  9. May 8, 2021 at 5:29 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  10. May 19, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    RustedTacos

Member:
    ok thanks much appreciated!

11. May 31, 2021 at 8:43 AM
    FL_TRD Sport

FL_TRD Sport Suffering from Severe Wallet Drain

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport MGM DCLB (Sold)
    KDMax Pro 10.0, Form Lighting Tail Lights, and more
    This is what it lists on the specs for my 2021 TRD Sport long bed. I assumed this was the tow package but I thought it strange that there was no trans cooler. I don't plan on towing anything other than my Honda Goldwing on a UHaul 5x9 motorcycle trailer, and that will only be a few times a year. Just under 900 lbs for the bike plus whatever the UHaul weight is, which I'm sure is under 1,000 lbs. Am I ok with what I have:

Towing Receiver Hitch, Eng Oil Cooler, Pwr Steering Cooler, 130-Amp Alt, 4/7-Pin Connector, & Trailer Sway Cntrl

Products Discussed in

To Top