1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chesapeake Bay Retreiver

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mr Wiggles, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Feb 21, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    Mr Wiggles

Mr Wiggles [OP] Supergroovalisticprosifun kstication

Member:
    Hi Guys,

My girlfriend and i have been researching dog breeds for quite a while and one dog we shortlisted was a chesaepake bay retreiver. There is a 14 week old puppy available locally that seems like a very good, quiet, and happy little girl.

What i'm wondering is does anyone have one of these? Our lifestyle is fairly active in the summer (hikes and bike ride every weekend, urban hikes nightly) and a bit more sedentary in the winter (but there are 3 off leash dog parks within a few blocks of our place)

The dog would live indoors with us, we live in an apartment style condo building about 5 blocks from the downtown core here and have about 1200 square feet of space, there is plenty of places for walks, the river is literally 3 blocks from our house, etc.

I am allergic to many breeds of dog, mostly short, oily coated dogs like rotties, pointers, and dobies. After meeting this little girl last night and the parents, my allergies didn't act up at all, so that was a good sign.

So, if anyone has tips about these dogs, or things to keep in mind, please let me know.

Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    They are good dogs, basically a Labrador Retriever with curly hair. They are known for health problems though, mostly with their hips and eyes and they dont live as long as Labs do. Lifespan is only about 8-10 years.
    My neibor had a Chessie and he was good dog, but after about 5 years he developed hip problems and even after surgey to fix it he couldnt walk without a limp. He ended up dying at age 8.
    Good dogs though and they absolutely LOVE the water, but Id go for a Lab if it were me.

3. Feb 21, 2009 at 3:53 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Cute puppy. You'd be surprised - a good number of dogs do well inside as long as they get plenty of exercise.

Good luck.

4. Feb 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Don't know much about them, but how can you not get that dog? He (she)'s a beauty!

5. Feb 21, 2009 at 4:38 PM
    kasey200

kasey200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Dboubl Cab Longbed
    3" toytec, 285 BFG AT's
    I've hunted ducks with two or three of them. Very obedient and and great listeners. Just like any other working dog though. they NEED their exercise

6. Feb 21, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    They were bred to perform more severe service than a Labrador.
    Rough, salt water goose retrieves, namely.
    Hence the large jaw.
    My ol' liver-nose lived to be almost seventeen.

Only health prob my Chessie had was a run-in with a car one day. An outstanding vet rebuilt one of his back legs and Kruzer was back to hunting and flying off docks....never thought I'd see that again.

I have had Labs and Chessies...both breeds are excellent.

If you want to read the most poignant description of the differences in the two breeds read a Chapter in Chesapeake by James Michener called "The Watermen".
    It's a must-read for any retriever owner.

7. Feb 21, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    yote38

yote38 Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 TRD Off Road
    None
    Definately NOT a Labrador with curly hair. I have owned both. Used them for both waterfowl hunting and field trials. Chessies are generally more independent and want to do things their own way. This doesn't mean that they are hard headed, quite the opposite. They are very intelligent and like most dogs, want to please. The hip dysplasia is a very real problem with the chessies. If possible check out the parents and see if they have been OFA ceritifed. Only by selective breeding can this degenerative disease be eliminated. Also they tend to become aggressive as they get older. Again, some will and some won't. They were bred to work all day in the icy surf in the Chesapeake Bay and they guard the hunters boats, decoys, etc. at the end of the day. Look into the history of the Chessie, very informative.

8. Feb 21, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    Mr Wiggles

Mr Wiggles [OP] Supergroovalisticprosifun kstication

Member:
    Thanks for the info boys!
    We decided on the Chessie

Yesterday we met our new pooch, and we played with the parents and both were great, showing no signs of poor health.

We named her Fozzie, and she's a great dog. Incredibly quiet, she's yet to bark, only some quiet grunts, she seems to love people, and has a healthy curiousity but isn't the least bit destructive.

Here's some shots

She wasn't the least bit hesitant to eat when we got home
    DSC03680_8ce277f7243b8f8a0a20fe0d1a19762dbffe11d1.jpg

DSC03682_5cc8ee63691d9e36c3d032f6ab2e30a477f6a3d6.jpg

DSC03690_09e601c91006ac2573f89dcf56c2447480852819.jpg

9. Feb 21, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    Bakemono

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    I can attest to the independent part. The neibor's Chessie would play in the lake all day long, you could scold him every time and as soon as you turned your bag, back to the lake he went. He would dig rocks up out of the mud, pick them up and bring them back. Why he did that, who knows.
    They are definetly more independent than Labs. Whereas our Labs are somewhat needy, the neibor's Chessie kinda did his own thing most of the time.

10. Feb 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    Bakemono

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    Awww, what a cute puppy. :) Best of luck to ya.

11. Feb 22, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    Great looking pup!
    Looks like she comes from an excellent bloodline :)

Take lots of pics...they grow up fast.
    Get your Owner's Manual (consult a good vet)
    Start obedience training.

Love and enjoy your new best friend :D

Products Discussed in

To Top