1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chevy Colorado ZR2

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by rhouse181, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Jun 1, 2017 at 6:41 PM
    Kennedyusmc

Kennedyusmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    Still waiting for it
    Nope.
    Unlike us mall crawlers and overlanders, most Tacomas sold are for blue collar working class people who want a reliable truck for $30k.
    It'll put a dent in Pro sales tho- all 2500 of them. I would have looked twice in October when I bought mine, however, I'm sure I would have went Pro. Resale baby...

2. Jun 1, 2017 at 6:48 PM
    Chile Verde

Chile Verde Well-Known Member

Member:
    The only good thing I can see from this is it might push Toyota to bring the Diesel.
    I would like someone to give me one of those piece of crap chebies though. Id sell it and buy my wife a Blue TRD OR so I could have my truck.:thumbsup:

3. Jun 3, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    amxguy1970

amxguy1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Texas
    They said it best and why I always laugh when people talk how "reliabile" a tacoma is err I mean was and how unreliable a chevy is err I mean was (not that they were unreliable just lower build quality) and that they are junk. We are a GM family and over the decades of full size, mid size and astro vans we have never suffered a mechanical failure outside of a lone alternator and we have pushed these vehicles towing, hauling, hundreds of thousands of miles and off road. GM is known to build reliable trucks (and some cars like the 3.8 liter driven ones) and legitimately are long lasting and handle real truck work decade over decade. Rarely are they known to be off road kings but when they do they can smack around the top players (ZR2 and H3 adventure). Most people associate interior quality with reliability which in no way go hand in hand. Give me a crappy interior and proper drivetrain anyday...

"In truth, the days of manufacturers having massive differences in reliability are largely over. We’ve abused high-mile, modern Land Rovers without failure, run GM products over 100,000 miles with only standard fluid changes, and experienced field breakdowns of Toyotas. My 2014 4Runner required an entire repaint 1 year after purchase, so no company is perfect. My point is that it’s impossible to prove whether any new vehicle is reliable, just as it’s impossible to say it’s unreliable because “it’s a Chevy.” For now, we know these ZR2s ran a race track HARD for 75 laps or more without any failures or squeaks, and that they repeatedly made jumps without decreasing shock performance or damaging the vehicle. Not a bad start. For the rest, we will just have to wait and see."

"Head to head I have little doubt that the ZR2 would outperform or match the Tacoma TRD Pro in nearly every way"

"Chevrolet has delivered THE TRUCK that overlanders have been asking manufacturers to produce. It has a high performance 2-inch suspension lift, a diesel engine, front and rear locking differentials, skid plates, rock sliders, and a great set of all terrains from the factory (their engineers are interested in adding even more). In an industry that is turning legendary trucks like the Discovery and Nissan Patrol (Armada) into fauxverlanders, we can only hope that consumers respond to Chevrolet’s herculean efforts in bringing this truck to life, and prove that at the end of the day capability is king."

This is from a respected third party at that...

Tyler

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Stig and CrashFix like this.
  4. Jun 3, 2017 at 9:35 AM
    Kennedyusmc

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    Still waiting for it
    All probably true- but the other truth is, about 1% of sales is targeted at the "overlanding" market.
    Most Toyotas and Chevys on the road are just work trucks.

amxguy1970 likes this.
  5. Jun 3, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Exactly. Tacoma owners are spending thousands of dollars in the aftermarket to get just what Chevy is providing off the lot. We (Toyota owners) have been asking for the same thing for years and instead they delivered the problem plagued 3rd gen. Fanboy aside, Tacoma is in trouble if Toyota doesn't step up their game.

CrashFix likes this.
  6. Jun 3, 2017 at 9:20 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    "...high performance 2-inch suspension lift, a diesel engine, front and rear locking differentials, skid plates, rock sliders, and a great set of all terrains from the factory." That stuff isn't overland specific. That is truck enthusiast and offroader specific. And greatly sought after by the general mall crawler crowd.

7. Jun 3, 2017 at 10:16 PM
    JeffreyB

JeffreyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab 2.7 5 Speed 4X4
    I think in reality a very small percentage of Tacoma owners do those mods. To them this setup from the factory is awesome. To the average guy they look at the price tag and balk. But the raptor pulls a similar angle and they sell insanely well so maybe there is something there.

8. Jun 3, 2017 at 11:50 PM
    Lost In The Woods

Lost In The Woods 4 out of the 5 voices in my head say go for it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buckley, WA
    Vehicle:
    21 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
    An unusually high amount of pinstriping.
    My personal thought is, this is good. I like to see Chevy, Nissan, Ford or any other brand come out with "the next best thing". What it does is push everyone else to come out with something better. My personal thought is Toyota has been resting on their laurels with the 3rd gen. I know people will say, but it has this and that, and they are right, there are some good things about it...... But, there are definitely some things that need work. Just basic thing like LED lighting for the interior at least, a telescoping steering wheel that's not a joke, and for god sake can we please get freaking disc brakes on the rear. Toyota gives one lame excuse after another about why they have drum brakes instead of disc brakes. My favorite is “Towing is No. 22 on the reasons why Tacoma buyers are looking for a new truck. Discs are great when it comes to ventilating heat from heavy towing, but we’re not hearing that need from Tacoma owners”(Chief Engineer Mike Sweers). Yes because we all know that everyone buys a Hyundai Accent, which comes with rear disc brakes and cost around $16 grand, to tow trailers. The other reason they give is that crawl control works better with drums. If that is the case then why dose the 4 runner come with rear disc brakes? There are other things that I could bring up (putting better tiers on the Off Road and Pro models), but this is already getting to be to long of a rant.

I bought my Tacoma knowing full well about the rear brakes and other things, but still decided on it, because it fit my needs fairly well. Toyota has enjoyed being on top for a long time, and for good reason. The Tacoma was/is a great truck, but they are in desperate need of good competition. I personally am not a fan of the Chevy or GM due to personal experiences, but I hope they hit it out of the park with the ZR2. I really want to see what Jeep and Ford bring to the market in the near future. Like the ZR2, I hope Jeep and Ford have one hell of a truck. Maybe that will light a fire under Toyota's ass. Yes competition is good, because in the end it's the consumer who wins.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    phobostx and steelhd like this.
  9. Jun 4, 2017 at 1:39 AM
    Kennedyusmc

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    Still waiting for it
    You missed my point. Toyota don't care about that shit bro. 99% of its sales is average Joe and his work truck needs.
    Chevy undermining the Tacomaworld mall crawlers ain't gonna move a decimal point. Same dude that looked at a stripped Colorado and bought an SR5 ain't gonna look at a $45k ZR2 either.

Just cause your excited doesn't mean Toyota don't know its market.

Chile Verde likes this.
  10. Jun 4, 2017 at 2:44 PM
    Chile Verde

Member:
    The real measure is will Somali Pirates go to the ZR2? No? Then theres your answer on who builds the better truck.
    [​IMG]
    :spy:

CrashFix, bijick and Fatchrisfbm like this.
  11. Jun 4, 2017 at 4:57 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    Yeah, those Somali pirates are a pretty discerning bunch....:rofl:

12. Jun 4, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    steelhd

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    And they can "only" get the Hilux. Poor bastards.

13. Jun 4, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    Now I really hate those bastards....

14. Jun 16, 2017 at 5:51 PM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    285/70/17 with 1" level up front.

Looks sharp.

IMG_0208.jpg

Rogelio22, Silverspool and CrashFix like this.
  15. Jun 17, 2017 at 4:56 PM
    CrashFix

CrashFix Active Member

Member:
    Edmonton, Alberta

Attached Files:

16. Jun 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    I can't believe some journalist hasn't done a head to head comparison between these two trucks. Tfl truck did one for on road, but it was very limited.

CrashFix likes this.
  17. Jun 17, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    CrashFix

CrashFix Active Member

Member:
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Well you got to think those comparisons reviews are bound to show up soon, after all its whats on everyone's mind!

18. Jul 31, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    CrashFix

CrashFix Active Member

Member:
    Edmonton, Alberta
    motodude95 likes this.
  19. Jul 31, 2017 at 2:47 PM
    Chile Verde

Member:
    I want to see a head to head between a 96 Tacoma and a 96 Colorado.
    ........................Exactly..............
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

20. Jul 31, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    CrashFix

CrashFix Active Member

Member:
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Sorry dude, the Colorado wasn't around in 96 (Pretty much like the internet), but this should keep you amused.

Products Discussed in

To Top