1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chihuahua Gulch

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by skootx, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jul 17, 2016 at 3:54 PM
    skootx

skootx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    What makes this a 4/5 on traildamage? From the videos I can find, it doesn't look too bad. Looking to run this next weekend- 33's, locker, sliders... should I have any problems?

2. Jul 17, 2016 at 5:15 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD exhaust, skids, sliders
    Hmmm, I'm trying to remember. I ran it last year and don't recall anything that should slow you down. My rig (not a Toyota) is on 33s, solid axles front and rear (both locked), sliders and skids front to back. Don't recall needing to use the lockers either.

If you're into hiking, take the time to visit the lake. It's gorgeous. While I didn't see signs of fish, I've seen suggestions on the 'net that there is/should be/once was.

skootx[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 17, 2016 at 5:21 PM
    skootx

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    I ran Jenny Creek a few weeks back, which is rated lower than this. I found it pretty challenging and banged up my front end pretty good- kinda wary of running a 4/5.

4. Jul 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    You'll be fine, fun short trail, and reccomend the hike to the lake as well.

5. Jul 17, 2016 at 6:58 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    Yeah, Chihuahua is no Jenny Creek. Put it this way, the only thing that stood out to me about the motor vehicle portion of Chihuahua was nothing. Couldn't have been anything challenging, as those things stick in my memory. While some folks won't agree, I'll roll out on my own for milder trips and did Chihuahua by myself.

EDIT: I should caveat my Jenny Creek comment. I haven't run it since it was rerouted away/out of the creek. So, my experience is dated... and the creek exit which goes up and to the left (assuming it's still part of the trail) was rougher than anything you'll find on Chihuahua Gulch trail.

And I took a peek at the TD page for Chihuahua... none of the high-end ratings have to do with the difficulty of the trail (other than elevation, I suppose). As James said, you'll be fine.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  6. Jul 27, 2016 at 7:33 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    Did ya run it?

7. Jul 27, 2016 at 9:11 PM
    skootx

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    Nope. Got the laundry done though. :headbang:

8. Aug 4, 2016 at 9:23 PM
    trint99

trint99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trint
    Conifer, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC 4x4 TRD-OR
    4xInnovation sliders,5100 leveling lift,Anytime rear camera mod
    I was up Chihuahua a couple weeks ago. The trail is unclaimed on TrailsOffroad and I thought'd I try to map it. But, it was a spur of the moment thing and I was in my wife's stock FJ, alone, with no recovery gear or even a decent jack. I made it past the mud hole and only scraped the gas tank skid a little. Scraped something in the front on the next set of rocks and decided I'd better not push my luck. Turned back. I'll try it again soon with my Taco and proper gear.

Products Discussed in

To Top