1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chirping during acceleration

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jsb12900, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    jsb12900

jsb12900 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    Details: '07 PreRunner double cab automatic V6, purchased with 120K a few months ago, I haven't done any mods and I don't believe any were done by previous owners

Problem: From a dead stop, there is a chirping noise from under the truck as it accelerates. The noise is not coming from a belt or bearing in the engine bay. It is not the type of constant squeal that you have with a bad water pump bearing, fan bearing or belt but more akin to the rhythmic click of a bad valve. It is most definitely cylindrical in nature and is directly related to tire RPM. A slow acceleration means a slow chirp and the frequency of the "chirping" increases as the truck accelerates. If I let off the power, the sound goes away and will resume at same frequency when I get back on the gas. Shifting is normal and does not affect the noise at all. It only occurs under power and will diminish as speed increases and will eventually cease around 35-40 MPH. Does not occur in reverse and does not happen in neutral when I rev the engine. I have greased the u joints on the drive shaft (stock, 2 piece) and the hanger bearing with no improvement.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

2. Jul 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    Supercharger? No..

In all seriousness I know you said you grease the u-joints but your descritpon sounds like u-join. Also if they were greased after going bad grease might not fix. Are the loose?

3. Jul 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    Being a "chirp" that happens under load, I'd try changing at least 1 u-joint anyway. The one furthest back near the axle. It seems prone to go first based on what I read in these forums when my truck started chirping.

Products Discussed in

To Top