1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Choose my suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rnicholls, Aug 5, 2017.

?

Which suspension

1. Toytec Boss Performance

16.7%
  2. 6112/5160

20.0%
  3. Kings

56.7%
  4. Bp51

6.7%
  1. Aug 6, 2017 at 8:51 AM
    Dagostino480

Dagostino480 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD sport 4door
    Bad ass air freshener
    So I took into consideration a couple different things while buying my suspension. First off is that I live in a state where it snows and they use salt. So corrosion resistance was huge for me. ADS uses the best materials to combat this. Secondly, I want a shock that is rebuildable. Not only is ADS rebuildable but they have a kit with instructions to do it yourself. Kings you send them in and wait a couple weeks (which means your ride is either back to stock or inop). Third, ADS doesn't have a good better best line up. The only options they have are if you want RR and dampners. From what I have read and have been told is that they use the same materials and valving that they do in their race trucks. Everything is reinforced and worry free. Forth, I am from Arizona and I like to support local companies. Fifth, I hate the king blue color on my all black truck and I want to keep the color scheme going lol.

Look up the ADS thread here. There are a bunch of people that will never go back to king, icons, or fox. They are an amazing ride.

More info look at their website http://www.adsmach.com
    If you have questions talk to Marie @HeadStrong Off-Road. Best price on the internet and she works hard to let you know exactly what you are getting!

HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  2. Aug 6, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Dude if speed on trails and roads is your thing...get king.

Just to give you a heads up...in the desert where high speed driving and flying over stuff happens, race teams use the big three suspension companies. I would venture to say about 45% of that market is king suspension, about 35-40% is fox. Icon has a presence of about 10-15 percent.

King specializes in high speed.

3. Aug 6, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Budget?

4. Aug 6, 2017 at 8:54 AM
    Dagostino480

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Vehicle:
    Bad ass air freshener
    Marie @HeadStrong Off-Road. I will admit I shopped around and looked at Down South motorsports as well. I just didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling from them. HSO has the best prices and best customer service from what I experienced.

5. Aug 6, 2017 at 8:56 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Remember though, DSM is in very high demand due to their inventory. They are likely the only one that will offer a valving set up for shocks for free with free shipping. HSO is a good spot if you want a pre-built lift kit package.

6. Aug 6, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    rnicholls

rnicholls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCLB
    Updated the poll to include kings. They're stretching the budget but if I'm doing it...

Coot83 likes this.
  7. Aug 6, 2017 at 8:59 AM
    Dagostino480

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Vehicle:
    Bad ass air freshener
    I would not have a shop do it. It is an easy install and for the price of the install you can upgrade the lift you are getting and do it yourself. If you are going to have a truck and start upgrading it you should have the basic knowledge of changing out parts. It could help you out if you ever break down on the trail and everyone has that moorhead friend that will lend a helping hand.

My parts list went like this.

Front coils: ADS 2.5" extended travel coilovers with RR and 650lb coil
    Rear Shocks: ADS 2.5" extended travel piggyback rear shocks
    Upper Control Arm "UCA": Camburg 1.25" uniball upper control arms
    Rear Leaf Springs: OME Dakar leaf Package - Light Duty
    Extended u-bolts
    Full bushing and sleeve kit
    OME cb drop bracket
    24" extended length rear brake lines
    Rear Axle Shims
    Bump stops front and rear.

I am still getting some of the stuff

8. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:00 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    To reiterate my thoughts further...DSM is where new guys, experienced off-roaders, Long travel guys, etc go to for ordering. They personally know everything they sell. No offense to HSO, but all they can tell you is a product description. Its still solid customer service, but with HSO you need to be aware of what you need. They have sold some of my buddies stuff without even telling them the differences in what they probably SHOULD of bought with it as well.

Both are competitive, but completely different level in terms of product understanding.

9. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    Dagostino480

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Vehicle:
    Bad ass air freshener
    Headstrong will do more than prebuilt bundles and helped me out a lot. ADS come pre valved so I didn't have to deal with that and her price for ads were cheaper then DSM. Both are very reputable companies though.

10. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    Goldfinger

Goldfinger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    1994 Xcab Pickup truggy
    Exo cage, dual transfer cases (one with 4.7), Alcan springs, 39.5 TSL's, Longfield birfs and axles.
    I drove 2 vehicles with the Toytec Boss kit and was impressed with both so I just put the Boss kit on my Tundra this past Friday. I love the ride.

11. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Just a heads up here...Icon has new UCAs with the delta joint in them. Its kind of like a sealed uniball in terms of articulation, but can handle the elements without constantly having to lube it. I just installed these yesterday in my buddies ride and they are quite nice for a mid travel set up.

Dagostino480[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    All coils come prevalved, but DSM can swap things out to fit your driving style and such. This perk is likely not that advantageous to the OP as he is probably just a standard taco looking to upgrade suspension. Vs me for instance, its nice to know that they can valve bypasses to what I want weight wise and such instead of a standard all around setting for a standard tacoma.

13. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    rnicholls

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCLB
    This interests me. Is it the regular boss or the boss performance? I love the toytec look but I'm trying not to let looks cloud my judgement.

14. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    rnicholls

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCLB
    While I agree you should have understanding some of us just do not have the means to do stuff like this. I'd rather pay someone else to guarantee the work for me than buy all these tools and Jack's I don't have.

15. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    If its rebuildable, then I would consider that an option too. I know one of the toytec coils is around $800, but is not rebuildable. Nice coils like the ones being discussed normally need a rebuild at 50k. When a non-rebuildable dies, they are dead.

16. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:09 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Naw man, get up with some solid TW guys or atleast one who has done a suspension upgrade before and wrench and learn. I helped two guys around me lift their rides and taught them as we went. Bolt on stuff is not hard...if you have the basic tools and are ok getting dirty, I can PM anyone the process and guidance they need if they are interested.

angeldavid216 likes this.
  17. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:16 AM
    rnicholls

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCLB
    @ToyTec Lifts can you confirm if the boss performance kit is Rebuildable?

18. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    rnicholls

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCLB
    Taking icon off the poll as I have been informed they do not rebuild in house anymore.

19. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    crappie man

crappie man Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd this come with king could and how much lift and what will tire size be with no rubbing? I can buy everything all at once no problem just want to.make sure I get the right one!!

20. Aug 6, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Stalking horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Uniden CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with Prius emblem, Rigid DOT/SAE Fog Lights, 12" Light Bar
    image.jpg

tacouk likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top