1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chrome grill chips?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2ManyTacos75, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Oct 7, 2016 at 8:28 AM
    2ManyTacos75

2ManyTacos75 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    i was washing the ol' girl the other day and noticed the chrome grill had some small specs of chipped ( more like pitted) areas, is there a way to touch this up or best to leave alone? Will it get worse? No pics cause its hard to see

2. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    10trdtaco

10trdtaco American Infidel *DON'T TREAD ON ME*

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    4" lift 33-12.50-17 Atturo Trail Blade M/T 17" HELO TRD Satoshi Blackout Grill Tinted headlights with caliraised led headlights ... More to come
    Fix ... satoshi grill :D

... it will get worse, no fixing it.

3. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:16 AM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    It will eventually get worse and eventually start peeling. You can help it last longer by filling the chips with clear coat touch up paint.
    It is a good justification to go colormatched.

ChemDawg likes this.
  4. Oct 7, 2016 at 12:44 PM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    I had the same problem couple years or so ago. The others are right.
    I started noticing small nicks, scratches, etc. then the nicks started to get bigger.

I maybe wrong but I believe there really isn't a permanent mod or fix for that (or at least that I haven't been aware of?).

If it starts to bother you (like it did for me) you have a few choices....
    1.) leave it like it is (if it really doesn't bother you)?
    2). buy a replacement from the dealer $$!
    3.) look/search on Craigslist for an exact same style front grill for your year Tacoma?
    4.) swap it out for a custom front grill, as suggested in a previous post, a satoshi grill (but be prepared for a long wait and spending a lot of $$$$ for one) or again, depending on what year your Tacoma is, look on Ebay and see if you can find one cheaper and you won't have to wait as long? http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-09-Toyot...ash=item5b07f2b3ea:g:obMAAOSwqu9UzIEG&vxp=mtr

I didn't want to wait nor did I want to spend a shit load of $$$ so I first went with step #3 and found one, paid $25 for it believe it or not, had it on for about a year or less then decided to go with step #4 the one off of Ebay. Painted the outer trim to match the color of my Tacoma and left the mid section vent and both side vents black.

I was definitely pleased with the outcome and that's all that matters.

Good Luck with whatever decision you decide to take!

Here's what mine looks like installed:
    IMG_0241.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Oct 7, 2016 at 12:44 PM
    2ManyTacos75

2ManyTacos75 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    clear coat huh, interesting
    anyone else?>

6. Oct 7, 2016 at 12:54 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    It's just plated plastic. Not sure how its done, but I'm guessing vacuum, because 'real' chrome is pretty hard. But it may be the ABS kind.

http://www.aclassmetal.com.au/plating-of-plastic-automotive-parts-for-restorers.php

You can't 'save' it, you can only slow it.

It's likely cheaper to buy a nice used one than to have yours refinished. I like the look for my particular truck as well, hoping it lasts a good while.

Queue up all the chrome haters........ :lalala:

Products Discussed in

To Top