1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clay bar/Meguires ULW

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by AZ2013, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Nov 16, 2015 at 12:03 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Apply the ULW as thin as you possibly can. There is no benefit to applying thick. I apply so thin that it's difficult to see on my pyrite mica. It will feel different that the waxes you're probably used to. It doesn't haze like traditional waxes. For me it sorta feels like spreading butter on the paint. And it sorta stays that way. If it doesn't haze like you think it should, just go ahead and buff it off anyway. It'll be just fine.

ULW doesn't layer. The only benefit to a second coat is that it ensures you've got an even application on the paint. If you do want to do two coats, give it 12+ hours in between.

2. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:15 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I know everyone on here recommends Meguires clay bar kit. It's fine for first time use but there much better clays out there. And yes there is a big difference in clays.

3. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:19 PM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    This thread is reminding me how much I need to give the truck a detail

ace96 likes this.
  4. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Mothers kit is also fine if you can't find Meguires. Both kits should be easy to find at the big box stores, as well as the franchise auto parts stores.

Yup there are better (and more expensive) clays out there. If you're a guy that really gets into detailing, go for it. But for our daily drivers, the Megs and Mothers kits are just fine. Megs did an amazing job on my truck. And the OP's!

5. Nov 16, 2015 at 7:45 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    @LTDSC Looks like we got another home detail job, better tell him whats up. haha

ace96 likes this.
  6. Nov 16, 2015 at 8:01 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Not saying the Meg's won't work, but better clay cuts down on the time claying because it will remove contaminants easier. As someone who started out using big box products, there are much better products available. I know I used to think the same thing, oh it's okay for daily driver. Thought that until I used the products....no way will I ever use a big box product again.

7. Nov 16, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    What kind do you use? I suppose the big box stuff is intended to be a product with which even an idiot couldn't do any damage to a paint job. With a more aggressive clay, could you actually do some damage if you weren't careful? Just curious. I wouldn't mind some better quality stuff, but man it's expensive for something I'd use just a couple times. I guess that's what's kept me with the Megs. A few more minutes on the job = 20 more bucks in my pocket.

8. Nov 16, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    I have used Meguiars, Pinnacle, and 3 different ones from Adams...none gave me issues. I doubt any clay will give you issues unless you use a clay alternative which might cause marring. When I first started buying stuff from Adams, I thought no way can this be better.....now I own or have owned about every product they offer. Every time I tried something I was impressed and kept trying new things from them. Now I use all sorts of products some from Chemical Guys, Wolfgang (love estate wax), Collinite, Menzerna, Optimum, etc.

By the way, The last clay I got retails for $24.99. I usually buy on special when running 15% discount. I got more clay than what comes in a Meg's kit. Besides drop the clay in a ziplock bag with detail spray to preserve it.

9. Nov 16, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    I've tried both Collinite 845 and 476. Awesome stuff. Thinking about menzerna power lock for my sealer next spring. I'm doing Collinite 476 for this winter.

Believe it or not, I recently read a post where a guy said he goes to a local dollar store and buys that putty stuff that you use to hang posters. And that's what he uses to clay his vehicles. Thrifty, eh.

10. Nov 16, 2015 at 8:28 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Yeah I will pass on that clay. Lol. Stick with something made for paint.

NMTrailRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 15, 2016 at 5:47 PM
    Blazingbluesport

Blazingbluesport Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC!
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4 double cab.
    image.jpg Eagle one prep mitt instead of clay bar. Easier, less time, does as good if not better. Check it out on YouTube. Meguires Ultimate polish with DA polisher. ICE paint sealer or Meguires ULW. Finished with Mothers caranubu wax. (The scent makes me hard) last for six months with a spray of ICE spray on wax after washing. I live in the Northeastern US on the beach. Blizzards, Nor'easters. A good quality wash mitt. 2 buckets. And Meguires car wash with a quality microfiber towel are my trucks best friend.

ace96 likes this.
  12. Mar 15, 2016 at 6:50 PM
    AZ2013

AZ2013 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    '13 Spruce Mica DCSB TRD OR
    Looks awesome!

13. Apr 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    CroResident

CroResident Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick B
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 DCSB
    6" Zone lift 35x12.50 Super Swampers
    i used griots clay bar on mine along with their lubricant spray and could not be more impressed with how it came out. it was my first time using a clay bar. my truck was covered in over spray from work (chemical plant). i just washed it, used the clay bar on it, then hand waxed it with mcguires carnauba paste wax. i tried the mcguires clay bar kit first. for some reason the mcguires clay bar would not remove any of the over spray...at all. it made the paint smooth, but would not remove the over spray.

12920394_1163478923710923_596963397880571211_n.jpg

NMTrailRider likes this.
  14. Apr 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Not all clay bars are the same. The Megs version is ok but nothing special. As I said before there are better out there and you obviosly had one. :D

CroResident[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top