1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaner Wax Vs Regular Vs Synthetic ?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Rich Swanner, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Oct 27, 2007 at 5:42 PM
    Rich Swanner

Rich Swanner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.California
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black PreRunner DC V6 SR5 LB
    Leer 100R Shell NXT Tech Wax
    I have a 2007 Black Sand Pearl Prerunner DC. What is the best polish , wax or synthetic for shine, duribility and ease of use for my black truck. I don't have a buffer, so it is all me .I have nothing against sending for a good product , but would like a local product(store)for easier availiblity. Thanks in advance!-Rich [​IMG]

2. Oct 27, 2007 at 5:57 PM
    tfc946

tfc946 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 White DCSB TRD OR 4X4
    i have used about every wax known to man and the best thing i have ever used is turtle wax ICE. you can use ICE on black trim, tires, rubber, etc. the bottle says to not use it on glass but i have actually accidentally got it on the glass and did not see a problem.

3. Oct 27, 2007 at 8:55 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    the tw ice is ok, but it doesnt last that long. you need to claybar, then polish, then wax. mothers and meguiars both make excellent polish and waxes!! as does eagle1( nanowax=great stuff). and, more than likely. you can get these locally(like walmart).

4. Oct 27, 2007 at 9:06 PM
    Rich Swanner

Member:
    N.California
    Vehicle:
    I have heard that Meguiars NXT goes on and off as easy as TW, but gives a deeper shine. It says don't use on vinyl. I can put it on the bumpers and fender skirts? They mean the rubber parts of the door and windows trim right? [​IMG]

5. Oct 27, 2007 at 9:09 PM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    Zaino!!!!!!!

:d

6. Oct 27, 2007 at 11:29 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
  7. Oct 28, 2007 at 12:01 AM
    Rich Swanner

Member:
    N.California
    Vehicle:
    I have a new truck, black and want to keep it looking good for right now as I said I don't have a buffer just a hand. I am going to get Meguiars NXT Tech Wax Liquid and try it. It is supposed to be good for new clear coat dark colors, gives a wet shine look. I will try it for the bottles worth, and switch or not later to the Ice if I don't get the results. I have been using the Gold Class paste. It is harder to work and harder to get off, so we will see... [​IMG]

8. Oct 28, 2007 at 6:51 AM
    tfc946

tfc946 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 White DCSB TRD OR 4X4
    turtle wax also makes what they call a liquid clay bar which i used on my 96 and it really made it shine again. i agree that the ice may not last long but it is easy to use and i put it on all the black trim which makes it look like mothers back to black is on it. i have also used the ice on the tires and it repells dirt and dust.

9. Oct 28, 2007 at 6:59 AM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    I only use ice on my show cars, because it not durable. For my tacoma i did a 3 stage wax when i got it, wash with special agent, first step and last stage process, since then ive used a paint sealer and now ive graduated to nxt. 10,000 miles and my truck has been waxed almost 60 times. The dirt literealy washes off. Buffalo ny in the winter is brutal on autos. The best thing about using wax every time i wash it is the bugs never stick to it. When it gets a bath they all fall off! Its awsome!

10. Apr 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    A real detailing clay bar works a lot better than that TW Ice Liquid Clay. I don't care for any of the Ice stuff.

Cleaner Wax: Usually it's a wax with a little abrasive polish mixed in. It might be able to fix minor swirls. It's usually a good product to use, but it won't work as good as using a separate polish and then a separate wax.

Synthetic Wax: A synthetic wax is also know as a "sealant". Made from man-made protectants. Usually has good durabilty and shine. Many synthetics won't stain plastic trim.

Natural Wax: Usually called "Carnauba Wax". Deep shine. Usually not real durable. Great for show cars, and dark colored paints. is one of my favorite carnaubas.

11. Feb 27, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    mitiko

mitiko Well-Known Member

Member:
    lax
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner trd
    3m pure fine

12. Mar 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    netman1969

netman1969 Meh!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Cookeville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Awaiting my 2024 Tacoma OR, Underground
    None yet, but sure to come!
    I think it's worth mentioning that no wax is worth the money if you are washing the truck wrong. I know that sounds like common sense, but back in my younger days I worked as a detailer in my uncles shop and later as a detail supervisor at a dealership. I cannot tell you how many people would come in and get a detail and show up a week later complaining that the car looked like crap after running it through a commercial car wash.

My trucks get waxed once every 3 months with a good quality paste wax and if I need a quick touchup for a special occasion I use a good liquid like NXT or Pink Wax in between.

My 4 Runner is an 06 and the paint still looks as good as new. The Taco is brand new, but it will still look just as good years from now. The trick is that neither have or will EVER go through a commercial car wash, they are only done by hand and only using a non-stripping car wash like Mothers, ICE, etc.

A good wax should last at least 3 months, as long as you dont use a wash that strips the wax off. Even the south Texas sun can't defeat a good wax. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top