1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaning Interior Air Vents/ Ducts?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Wabisabi, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Feb 5, 2020 at 6:15 PM
    Wabisabi

Wabisabi [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 2.7 5spd man 4x4 AC
    Hey Folks, Just bought a 2012 Access Cab and the interior is dirty! The former owner was in carpentry and there is a fine dust almost like clay thoughout the whole interior and the worst part is that it is in the air vents. Wondering the best way to take apart the dashboard and clean the air ducts/vents? Also if I do this in the Winter, with 30 degree F or below temps, will I likely break the little plastic tabs that hold the trim/dashboard in place?

I plan on scrapping the carpet for the rubber OEM floor mats and have covered the seats, but the air ducts are the final place that I am uncertain how to reach...

Looked on TW but did not find much posted on this topic...

This is what I found thus far but not sure how relevant and if there is a better/ different way:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/step-by-step-complete-dash-disassembly-with-pics.405055/

Are there professionals who would do this?

Appreciate the input!

2. Feb 5, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Yeah plastic and cold don't mix well, probably can run truck a while with the heat on to help.

I don't pro detail but it seems like those guys favor compressed air to get the fine stuff a vacuum can't reach. Tornador would probably be great for this but it's a bit pricey and if used continuously it needs a beefy CFM compressor to keep the pump from constant running. Maybe Harbor Freight or elsewhere has a knock off version.

3. Feb 8, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Wabisabi

Wabisabi [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 2.7 5spd man 4x4 AC

That is a good idea, to use compressed air... looks like there are knock off versions from quick Amazon search. Will be a project for when it is a bit warmer out.

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top