1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cleaning my throttle body and this is what I found...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DDD, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    I seen worse. But it's normally on 100k+ miles cars. It looks like there was oil coating the intake and then the dirt sticks to oil. I see it even more so with oiled type filter if you use too much oil on the filter. I know you said your was DRY. but I replace the PCV and clean or change you filter more often to help keep it cleaner.

Or you could just drive it and not worry about it. Because honestly that is not all that bad compared to alot. Maybe do it every 50K or so.

2. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    :confused:
    I thought we were talking about this? :notsure::notsure:
    But seriously, I'm checking mine tomorrow.

3. Jan 25, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Thats not a bad idea, and I think your right... if I had a aftermarket intake I would probably do the same thing and just remove te tube and put a small filter on the PVC valve..

4. Jan 25, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Put the stock filter back in, that's fairly normal crud all engines do that you want to see some real gook look at a diesel intake. My old 97 2.7 was never cleaned same performance and mileage after 248K. Despite the fact it's before the injectors at a point in valve timing both the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time (valve overlap) hence you end up with exhaust in the intake slight but still there also exhaust from the EGR. The intake runners are long and cool so the hotter stuff condenses on the surface no big deal.

5. Jan 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I have always cleaned my throttle bodies every so often, avg. probably every 30,000 or so on all my trucks/cars and I have never seen anything that dirty. Must have been running a little rough at idle? I have two trucks now, one with a K&N and one with an AFE dry filter. Even back in the day doing Baja expeditions in the dusty desert I can not remember every seeing it caked up like that. I guess I will chauk it up to regular maintenance...:D
    I agree however, as mentioned filtration seems to be an issue. I do not recall many complaints with the AFE filter and our trucks, but maybe its not seated properly, sometimes I have seen the the air box not tightly closed or latched properly, or slight chance they sent the wrong filter? I might consider switching filters and running for awhile then check back and see if you still have this problem.

6. Jan 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM
    maser

maser Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    fog light mod,DTRL mod,alternating turn signal mod, BHLM, pioneer pt 3200dvd, fosgate speakers all 4 doors,AFE CAI, Magnaflow turndown exhaust, satoshi'd grill, Procomp 6 in lift, 2 Diamond audio 10's w/ 600w amp..........
  7. Jan 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    I've got a K/N CAI and my throttle body stays pretty clean. Had the k/n on for 20,000 miles now and cleaned throttle body twice. I drain my oil catch can (put in because of supercharger) about once a month and get about 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of oil. Before the catch can my thrttle body was still pretty clean with the k/n. Even my MAF sensor is always pretty clean, I put it on a clean white rag and spray with cleaner. The catch rag never shows excessive builup from the sensor. I think i'll stop procrastinating and get an oil sample test. Hey OP, you should try and send in an oil sample to see if your oil has particulates swimming around.

8. Jan 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    cleaned my TB real good and took it off to get inside the valve cover alittle.
    also cleaned the pcv valve and the tube for the pcv... it some build up in it, not much though...

It runs alot better, has more pep too. :)

9. Jan 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM
    TRDyota09

TRDyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    If I could, I would shake your hand for giving me such a great idea for empowering myself!

10. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM
    ChuckLee

ChuckLee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 DC
    seems like a good idea to me, but that doesn't get to the root issue. Still waiting to hear what you find! Have you checked pcv yet? let's see a pic of your dry filter next time you get under the hood. i am a believe in using seafoam in situations like this, run it through your main vacuum line, and in the crankcase......drive it around and then dump that oil and hopefully you will clean things up in there.

11. Jan 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM
    uberjason

uberjason Member

Member:
    Woodbury, MN
    Vehicle:
    '04 SR5 4x4
    It almost looks like pollen has collected inside the fresh air tube. Most paper filters would never capture it.

12. Jan 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    Amo-cat3

Amo-cat3 Wizard Sleeve Master

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Blown dubcab
    TRD Supercharged 4.0 w/ 2.5" Quick change Pulley, UCON EMS, URD 7th injector, AFE Stage II intake, DT Longtubes, MBRP 2.5" dual exhaust w/ Vibrant Ultra resonator, URD Y-pipe w/ vibrant v-bands (Cat free), Walboro 255 fuel pump, SS Oil catch can, Aeroforce gauges, Icon CDC 2.5 coilover set at 3", 1.5" Wleelers Progressive aal, Light racing uca, 17x8.5 Fuel Anza 4.5" backspace/-6 mm offset, Kelly Safari a/t 265/70/17, scanguage 2, AMP electric steps, bed extender, Low-pro tonneau cover, 20% tinted windows/headlights/taillights, tacoma seat covers, Image dynamic sound system w/ Pinoneer avh3200 head, assrtd stickers................
    I've got a catch can, had it for four months. checked it twice, each time i drained just over a tablespoon of oil. Last drain was kind of milky, so condensation was trapped to.

13. Jan 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    clcoyle

clcoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    subscribed

14. Feb 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    96 tacomaPtown

96 tacomaPtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 ext cab 4x4 taco
    3 inch spacer lift,pro comp addaleaf, 1 inch diff drop kyb shock/struts, Lc engineering header, stock muffler, hollowed cat, 2 1/4 exhaust, o2simulator , 31 10.50 15 wranglers on stock. Hella 500 headlamps, bug gaurd, vent visors, bed caps, bed liner, Volant cai intake.
    on your exhaust there is a EGR valve which brings exhaust gases in from your exhaust manifold/ or header which contains lots of carbon and builds up over time. it brings this gas in to burn it again to decrease polution. which then again builds up more carbon in your intake and throttle body on the Inline 4 the port is right behind the throttle body yeah its downstream but im guessing the build up on the throttle body is cause from backpressure when you let off the gas(or in my case shift) it pushes some of the air back towards the butterfly and you will notice most of the buildup is on the back of the butterfly not the front. I found that the port behind my throttle body was completely clogged. this is a good reason why to take yourthrottle body off and clean it very well. it allows you to get behind it and see what is hiding that you canot reach. also on the inline 4 there is a intake air temp sensor which is under neith the throttle body. take it off and clean it. use a electric cleaner for alll the connections and a catsafe throttle body cleaner. and new gaskets for both. also when done its not a bad ideah to do a seafoam clean through your truck.

15. Feb 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    96 tacomaPtown

96 tacomaPtown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 ext cab 4x4 taco
    3 inch spacer lift,pro comp addaleaf, 1 inch diff drop kyb shock/struts, Lc engineering header, stock muffler, hollowed cat, 2 1/4 exhaust, o2simulator , 31 10.50 15 wranglers on stock. Hella 500 headlamps, bug gaurd, vent visors, bed caps, bed liner, Volant cai intake.
    Sorry not the intake air temp sensor thats on the intake. i meant the idle speed sensor under the throttle body. it has coolant running through it and senses temp also.

16. Feb 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    I cleaned mine the other day, and i've had the afe stage 2 oil filter, and mine still never looked like that, i'm back to stock with a afe dry drop in.

Products Discussed in

To Top