1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clicking from rear at low speed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LVTacoma, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe someone has had this issue and can help me out. Just started noticing a clicking sound from the rear of the truck at low speeds, 5-25ish mph. Sound goes away after speed is gained. Comes at random but after a turn from a stop sounds like there's rocks in the drums, metaphorically speaking. Tightened lugs, still clicked. Took of the rear drums off inspected all hardware, no issue. I don't know what the hell it could be. Just got 285-75s on last week. Don't think that's really related although I started noticing after ( could have been going on before ). No rubbing. Also started noticing axle wrap slightly ( trucks at 87k ) maybe that's related? I need a guru. Thanks in advance

2. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    u have an lsd dont u? u dont have the additive?

3. Jun 24, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    LVTacoma

LVTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bump. Not the wheel bearing either

4. Jun 24, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
  5. Jun 24, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    LATACOMAGUY

LATACOMAGUY Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Encino, CA (SoCal)
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner D-Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    LVTacoma sorry to jump on your thread, but I was just getting ready to ask a similar question. I have an 08 D-cab and I have also noticed at slow speeds when I press the brake pedal there is a click and it sounds like its coming from the front end. I'll drive a few miles and each time I hit the brakes it happens again. Other than for this clicking noise the braking seems perfect and I haven't noticed any other issues with this.

So, I am at the dealer getting some scheduled service done and I raised this question to the service advisor. He told me its a common issue with the Tacoma's and it has to do with the brake pads/calipers adjusting, "What the hell". I am like why are my pads adjusting. He than asked me if it goes away after a few times, to which I say yes. He also said for me to notice if I back up in reverse, than go in drive, press brakes I will hear the click, but than it goes away. Again, he said it has to do with front brakes adjusting. I am in no position to argue with this guy since I am not a mechanic and I know very little about the braking system on my truck. But, I'm having a hard time believing the clicking noise is from the "calipers" and "pads" adjusting.

WTF!!

6. Jun 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    LATACOMAGUY

LATACOMAGUY Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Encino, CA (SoCal)
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner D-Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Okay, thank you. I knew I'd get a logical response to this on TW and I learned something new.

Thanks again!

7. Oct 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    glad I saw this thread. I noticed this about a week ago, doesn't happen all the time.
    only hear it up to about 35 mph, then it stops. I was going to take it to the shop, I thought it was something with my rear diff. or drive shaft. it only happens when giving gas not coasting. I thought there was something caught up under the truck and dragging the first time I heard it.

Products Discussed in

To Top