1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clock Spring Gone Bad? - Check My Diagnosis

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bvbull200, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Sep 7, 2020 at 12:23 AM
    bvbull200

bvbull200 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5 Prerunner Texas Edition
    Fresh wiper fluid
    About a month ago, my horn stopped working intermittently. It wouldn't work for days, then would suddenly work for a trip, then stop working again.

I don't use it much, so didn't take the time to look in to it.

Fast forward to a week ago and I had an aftermarket stereo installed. First few days of driving around, the steering wheel controls worked flawlessly (this is the interface I'm using https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BM3QGCO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share).

This morning, however, I noticed my steering wheel controls were acting kind of wonky. The volume buttons did nothing and the seek buttons controlled the volume. The "mode" button muted the radio instead of changing from USB to Tuner. Then, after a few miles, the volume up turned the radio down. I hopped in the truck a few hours later to run an errand and all the buttons worked normally for a bit, then they went wonky again.

I haven't had the radio out to confirm the steering interface is an issue, but I'm wondering more of this could be related to the horn issue I had before doing the aftermarket stereo.

In researching that, I found the clock spring to be a known point of failure for the horn control. In ordering a replacement, I need to get the part that accommodates steering controls, so now I'm wondering if faulty control signals from the steering wheel could be related to a bad clock spring. Is that a possible symptom or does that not make any sense and I should solely be investigating the interface module and/or aftermarket stereo?

I know the stereo adds a new variable to this, but it might just be unfortunate timing.

I appreciate the help!

Bigdaddy4760 likes this.
  2. Sep 7, 2020 at 4:20 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Does the radio work ok using its controls? If so, I'd be looking at the sw interface or the clock spring. Since you've mentioned horn issues, I'm leaning more towards the clock spring.

From what I've read here, it's not a very difficult job to replace.

Jimmyh and bvbull200[OP] like this.
  3. Sep 7, 2020 at 4:27 AM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    Yea the steering wheel controls also run through the clock spring, as do the airbag wires. More than likely it’s a bad clock spring. You can always grab a meter to verify if there is continuity, or a short.

bvbull200[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 7, 2020 at 5:47 AM
    bvbull200

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Fresh wiper fluid
    Radio works flawlessly with the controls on the head unit and with the included remote control. The steering controls work just fine, too, for a period of time, then get all mixed up. It seems almost as intermittent as the horn was before that just stopped altogether. The crossed signals is the only particularly weird part.

I think I have one laying around. Good idea.

5. Sep 8, 2020 at 1:18 PM
    bvbull200

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Fresh wiper fluid
    I think I have confirmation that my Clock Spring is at fault for at least one of the issues.

If I turn my wheel left or right (only 90* or so), then the horn works. If straight ahead, nothing. Seems to corroborate my thoughts on the horn at least.

I can't figure out how to replicate the steering control button issues, though. That seems to be completely random.

2012Tacoman and Bigdaddy4760 like this.
  6. Apr 10, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    2012Tacoman

2012Tacoman Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Just had the horn issue come up on my 2012. I was doing some off roading and it was pretty bumpy. But my horn only works at full lock on either side and not in the middle. So I’m thinking clock spring from what I’ve read.

Products Discussed in

To Top