1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clockspring

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 06yoter, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Jun 28, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    06yoter

06yoter [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tampa/ Plant City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Doug Thorley long tubes, flowmasters, URD TCAI, custom dent in the bed from a fence
    the lady at toyota of tampa bay told me my clockspring is bad and my airbag can deploy at any time. is this true?

2. Jun 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I would guess that if you clock spring is bad your Airbag light is on?? And my understanding is that failsafes the system and it will not deploy at all.

3. Jun 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Have heard of folks unplugging the sensor under the seat or wiring a cutoff into the airbag system for offroading...

4. Jun 28, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I may be in the same boat. Has anyone replaced theirs? I was reading up on it and read something about having to have a special tool to pull off the wheel so that you can slide the clock spring off the shaft.

On the upside, from what I read, there is a chance its just a matter of soldering a broken wire back together once you pull it all apart. Also they are supposedly more or less a universal part you should be able to scrounge from a junk yard.

5. Jun 28, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    Your clock spring / spiral cable is the wire harness that runs in the steering wheel, it works kinda like a tape measure. Mine is also broken but the dealer told me it won't deploy if I meet in an accident cause the wire is broken, which makes sense.

6. Jun 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    I have considered soldering also but be careful if you take the clock spring out of a junk yard truck, if the airbag deployed chances are it's melted by the gases from the air bag.

7. Jun 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Ya my clockspring is broke also. Dealer quoted me $90 to fix. Still isn't fixed :(

8. Jun 28, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Probably a pack of shit. I will never step foot back in my shitty dealer. I knocked their front doors off its runner last time I left. . .

9. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Crap, I bet that is my problem! I was trying to shove my machette under my seat and it wouldn't go so I forced it. All the connections are in place, but I bet I messed up that sensor.

Couldn't I just bypass it though? I mean why would the airbag deploy when the car is in motion and there isn't someone in the seat? :rolleyes:

10. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    My clockspring was bad as well. I drove with the airbag light on for about 6 months until I found someone on here that had a used one for sale. Its not the end of the earth, but obviously the system wont deploy should you get in a wreck.

Also, the guy who said they would fix it for $90 bucks, you should jump all over that. The dealer told me it would be almost $500 to fix. It wasnt covered under my extended warranty.

11. Jun 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    06yoter

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Doug Thorley long tubes, flowmasters, URD TCAI, custom dent in the bed from a fence
    yea toyota of tampa bay said it would be around 350 dollars. it didnt seem that sitting next to the 1800 dollar timing chain gasket repair.

12. Jun 30, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    jpg366

jpg366 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5
    Generally, if the clockspring is bad, you can lose airbag, horn, and cruise.

13. Jul 1, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I had mine replaced at the dealer for around 350 I think. Light was on, but cruise and everything else worked. Seems like there are too many people who have had to have it replaced if you ask me.

14. Jul 1, 2010 at 11:26 PM
    YeahYeah

YeahYeah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    (My Home - Murrieta, CA) Now, Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Pre-Runner
    mud flaps gone, second air-filter gone, DTRL, fog light whenever and work with hi-beams, cut exhaust (was wicked flow), flat black stock rims, ABS switch, cup holder led's (with switch), turning signal mod #45, Bilstien 5100's, grill mesh
    Anyone see that new toyota commercial stating that they put 1mill into safety research every hr? Doesn't look like we got the right year tacoma. haha

15. Jul 2, 2010 at 12:58 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
  16. Jul 2, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    06yoter

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    i definitely agree with yall, this should have been a recall along with a few other things i see going wrong with everyone elses.

17. Jul 2, 2010 at 5:16 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer Civil Servant

Member:

Yeah I had the same problem when I tried putting my grenade launcher under there ...

:smack:

DOAH!

18. Jul 2, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    Yea, when my broke I did a lot of reading, and that does seem to be the case. Theres no TSB's on it though.

Everything worked on mine, but the light was on as well.

As far as you guys who did push stuff under the seat, be sure to check all of your connections under there, as one of them could have come apart and thats all it is.

19. Jul 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    MYSUV

MYSUV Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    05 Bone Stock
    My airbag light is on. Guessing that it's the clock spring because it came on after I was driving my truck around a tight log landing in 4-Low loaded with wood. My guess is turning to the extent of the turning radius repeatedly broke it. I'm going to get the diagnostic run just to be sure that's the problem.

I like the "how to" posted here, but it's for an older Tacoma. Has anyone had their airbag off on an 05 or newer? One connector comes out easily, but the other seems molded into the plastic on the clock spring. I was trying not to mess with the wires in the back of the airbag. I know I have to pull off the steering wheel, but before I do it, I want to be sure I disconnect things properly so I don't fudge up the airbag. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

20. Sep 11, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    19stangs74

19stangs74 New Member

Member:
    il
    Vehicle:
    trd
    Pretty Much how TOYOTA designed it
    thanks for the info i just had my frame replaced it seems like my taco is starting to fall apart. replaced tie rod ends inner/outer u joints and this week no air bag cruise or horn. some days i really wish they would have bought her back. B

Products Discussed in

To Top