1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Close call on ice today

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tisher49, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Dec 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    tisher49

tisher49 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    I'm guessing OP means "original poster?"...if so that'd be me lol. Yeah to be honest my memory of the slide is kinda hazy cuz i was definitely in the zone lol... I am pretty sure I kept the brake planted. I just remember feeling the pedal vibrating a lot... I'm guessing that was the tires trying to gain traction but I'm not sure.

2. Dec 14, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    That is probably the ABS. Mine pulses or vibrates when I put it on in a bad or no traction situation.

3. Dec 15, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    We have a lot of black ice where I live. Each situation is different. Although 4 wheel drive isn't going to help you much, it CAN sometimes give you better directional stability, at least in my experience. You can't stop any faster, but sometimed it will enable you to get the truck going in a predictable direction at least. Anything is better than an uncontrolled slide. I found myself sliding sideways once on the slight banking of a freeway curve. Traffic had been moving at a walking pace and I simply slid to the inside shoulder. Black ice can be THAT slick.

4. Dec 15, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    DaveInVT

DaveInVT Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Black SR5 4X4
    Not an option for everyone but studded snow tires make a world of difference in these situations. I don't beleve they are allowed in all states and dry traction sufferes but they do work great on ice and packed snow.

Keep safe,
    DaveInVT

5. Dec 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    theres not alot you can do but try and keep your tires tolling and steer for traction and away from things you could crash in to

6. Dec 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    dude, only thing I could recommend would be to stay in your truck and GTF over to the side out of the way cause OP could still slide into you. Been there done that...Glad your ok.

7. Dec 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    crittergitter

crittergitter Proud to be Canadian Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Shearwater, NS
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma 4WD Double Cab
    Bugger, skid plate, colour coded cap, bed mat, AFE Air Filter, Rear diff breather mod, Chirp on door lock;unlock, ABS mod, Weathertechs front and rear, 60" Hi-lift jack, LED light mod in rear bed, 12V accessory in bed, n more stuff.
    We are hearing a lot about accidents this week, glad yours turned out OK. Black Ice is a killer up our way. Damn salt water moderates the air temperatures, but the ground stays frozen. Makes for some 360's sometimes!

8. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I do not think ABS or anything electronic helps in any way on true black ice as Tisher49 described. You hope for the best in those conditions which are killer conditions, you pick up speed and cannot literally steer unless you hit some rough patch like dirt or vegatation on the road shoulder that hopefully will not make the truck do some non predictable manuever like flip, the physics of it all.

No doubt the development of traction control etc. has helped prevent accidents in certain situations. But on black ice, no way, one of the main reasons I run a set of dedicated studded tires now but still can get crashed into just as easy. It happens so fast!

9. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
  10. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    tisher49

tisher49 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    I'm getting revo2s put on my truck Friday so hopefully that will help in the future. Doubt it makes much of a difference on ice like that unless you have the studded snow tires but having the crappy OE dunlops on certainly doesn't help at all

11. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    It's like everyone has said, stopping is not an option. ABS lets you have full braking, while still allowing directional control. As opposed to no ABS, which is an uncontrolled skid waiting to happen. (And once the skid starts, there is not enough grip to stop it.) I'm surprised anyone would suggest that in this scenario, one would be better off without ABS. FWIW - I live in Manitoba, we have 5 months of the most extreme driving conditions see short of Alaska. What many of you see once or twice a year, we live with on a weekly basis.

12. Dec 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Also EBD porportions the braking so that on black ice, the rears can do more, because there is almost no weight transfer front to rear in this scenario. As well, when you try to steer, the EBD system re-porportions side to side, (similar to VSC), to assist changing the direction of travel of the vehicle. In a truck of a few years ago, there was little rear brake bias, and it made for terrible ice braking.

13. Dec 15, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    yeah its pretty bad up there right now cold wise..coming our way.
    I guess I'm old school Vermont driver who likes to downshift to control my speed and run studs. We do a lot of winter driving, through the White Mountains of New Hamsphire, northern Maine and into Canada. same months timeframe. I find the ABS on the tacoma very touchy & seems to make the truck skid more than any other toyota truck I've owned. Maybe the newer models years its improved?

14. Dec 15, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road Long Bed
    New and Unmodified
    I don't recommend this on a down hill with black ice... everyone ends up at the side in the snowbank... whoever is stopped farther up the hill gets hit more often.

Middle of the road, maintain same speed and drive past all of the stopped cars is the safest.

15. Dec 15, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Interesting you would mention that. I had an '09 SR5, with the vacuum type brake booster (non-atrac), and it was alright. Now my 2010 with the hydraulic type booster, is the quietest, smoothest, & easily the best ABS system I've driven with..... The cheesy Dunlops that came with the '09 didn't help matters.

Products Discussed in

To Top