1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clueless about Rack & pinions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomagirl_09, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM

tacomagirl_09 [OP] Member

Aug 17, 2008
    '96 LX Toyota Tacoma
    4" Pro Comp Lift Kit, K&N Cold Air Intake, Powerade Throttle Body Spacer, Jardine Performance Exhaust, Tow Package, 8" MTX Subwoofer, Cut-out Bushwacker Fender Flares.
    As I was having my 1996 Tacoma inspected for registration, I failed safety due to a leaking rack and pinion. The place told me I needed to have it replaced for $804.00.

Since then, I've called around to different places and have been quoted pretty similar prices. Then I came across an online store that sells refurbished rack and pinions for $279.95 with a refundable $95 for returning my old core. Making it a grand total of about $190.00.

My questions to you guys out there are:

Will this rebuilt rack and pinion work for my 1996 Tacoma? Should I trust it even though it's so much cheaper than what I have been quoted else where?

How do I know I need the entire rack and pinion and not just a new seal or something? Do they even sell parts for them or is it more like a whole unit deal?

Thanks! :)
  2. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM

03coma Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2006
    New Jersey
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    Toyota TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, ARE Series II Lid,
    Hey Tacomagirl it is best to replace the entire rack with a rebuilt one. I don't know about that web site you found. I replaced mine with a Toyota rebuilt rack, it was around 400.00
To Top