1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clueless about Rack & pinions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomagirl_09, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    tacomagirl_09

tacomagirl_09 [OP] Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '96 LX Toyota Tacoma
    4" Pro Comp Lift Kit, K&N Cold Air Intake, Powerade Throttle Body Spacer, Jardine Performance Exhaust, Tow Package, 8" MTX Subwoofer, Cut-out Bushwacker Fender Flares.
    As I was having my 1996 Tacoma inspected for registration, I failed safety due to a leaking rack and pinion. The place told me I needed to have it replaced for $804.00.

Since then, I've called around to different places and have been quoted pretty similar prices. Then I came across an online store that sells refurbished rack and pinions for $279.95 with a refundable $95 for returning my old core. Making it a grand total of about $190.00.

(http://shop.rackdoctor.net/product.sc?productId=140&categoryId=392)

My questions to you guys out there are:

Will this rebuilt rack and pinion work for my 1996 Tacoma? Should I trust it even though it's so much cheaper than what I have been quoted else where?

How do I know I need the entire rack and pinion and not just a new seal or something? Do they even sell parts for them or is it more like a whole unit deal?

Thanks! :)

2. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    Toyota TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, ARE Series II Lid,
    Hey Tacomagirl it is best to replace the entire rack with a rebuilt one. I don't know about that web site you found. I replaced mine with a Toyota rebuilt rack, it was around 400.00

To Top