1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clunk coming from right frnt - I think

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ls1, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Nov 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    Ls1

Ls1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Seville Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 double cab 4X4
    I have a 2011 4x4 double cab 6ft bed 47k miles. Truck is bone stock.

Here is the issue: When I hit the kind of bump that's a ledge and allows the front tires to drop I am hearing a clunk that sounds like it is coming from the right front of the truck. I have a grass down hill drive that goes to my shop. When driving down that I can hear it as well. I can also hear it when in reverse backing up the hill. I do not notice it while driving on the road unless I pull into a drive just right and I will occasionally here it. It is still rather faint but it seams I am noticing this more. The truck has less than 50k miles, has been maintained meticulously so I am not happy about this at all. My plan is to sometime this weekend put the front end of the truck in the air and start trying to move the tires in a camper and caster direction to check for loosness, try and move ball joints in steering, try and move sway bar ends and try and move both ends of the front shock/strut in any way its not supposed to move. Is this a known issue? Is there anything I should be looking specifically for

2. Nov 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Your truck is still under warranty? You could always take it to the dealer.

This might sound like a stupid suggestion...but.... ask me how I know? :eek:

Check your front mudflaps. Mine were cracked /split the whole way where it meets up against the body. If you push on them either direction, they'll somewhat 'pop' out of the crack. I had this popping clunking sporadically even while driving on the highway .... it got worse and would clunk with a gust of wind.

I would hope, after only 2 years....that yours wouldn't be cracked already. But...ya never know ....

3. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    Ls1

Ls1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Seville Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 double cab 4X4

4. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    Is it a metal on metal clunk? Have the struts been tampered with at all? I found after replacing my shock the rear side of my coil was hitting the frame, re-orientating the coil solved it.

5. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    And actually, you're at 47k miles....so you're beyond the 3/36 unless you have an extended warranty.

6. Nov 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    Ls1

Ls1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Seville Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 double cab 4X4
    Yes, I was pretty sure it was out of warranty. One the struts - No, nothing has been replaced. This truck has had nothing done to it since new but routine maintenance and inspection.

7. Nov 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    Could be many things. Might be a cv joint going bad. first they start making a little noise here and there, then it clunks every time you turn. If the suspension hasnt been tampered with, its hard to say.

8. Nov 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    Ls1

Ls1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Seville Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 double cab 4X4
    Well after I got off work today I took Janster's advice and took a look at my mud flaps. They were not broke. However when I tapped the bottom of my right front one I HEARD MY NOISE!! Turns out a stone from my gravel drive flipped up from the tire and somehow lodged in the area between the mud flap and the very bottom of the fender. I removed the stone and my noise along with it. Of all things that this coulda been - it was a stone in my mud flap!! Thanks guys.

Products Discussed in

To Top