1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clunking noise after spacer lift, upper ball joint hitting spring

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 96 tacomaPtown, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Jul 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    96 tacomaPtown

96 tacomaPtown [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    96 ext cab 4x4 taco
    3 inch spacer lift,pro comp addaleaf, 1 inch diff drop kyb shock/struts, Lc engineering header, stock muffler, hollowed cat, 2 1/4 exhaust, o2simulator , 31 10.50 15 wranglers on stock. Hella 500 headlamps, bug gaurd, vent visors, bed caps, bed liner, Volant cai intake.
    When ever I go over speed bumbs or over rocks I hear a clunking noise from my front end. I found my Upper ball joint boot ripped and grease on my spring. I have a spacer lift and am thinking that is the problem with my front end and need to upgrade to coil overs. Is anyone else having this issue or did alignment or Bushings help. If it is the problem I warn anyone of purchasing spacer lifts. especially if You DO actually take your truck off road. Please Reply Thanks.

2. Jul 21, 2010 at 1:15 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    I had spacers before I upgraded and never had the issue you're describing with yours. I had 2" spacers with stock coils, stock UCA, and stock ball joints. What are you running?

If you didn't do an alignment after your spacer lift, you really should. Its never a bad idea to get it checked anytime steering or suspension is changed, specially with a lift.

3. Jul 21, 2010 at 1:55 AM
    taco19

taco19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallon
    nelson bc
    Vehicle:
    2010 Trd sport sr5
    -Leveling kit - 18 fuel octane wheels on 275 toyo A/T -12" kicker sub with alpine deck - Blacked Badges -Fog Light mod -Gauge Blue cluster mod -Dynomax Catback exhaust
    i got your exact problem. here's what you do, crawl under your front end of your truck, look under the stock skid plate( the black one) and where you installed the round spacer, it lowered an arm witch now probably rubs on the skid plate mount with you go over bumps. simply take your stock skid plate off and prime the metal and grind it down so its flat. Toyota did it to mine, 100 bucks...

4. Jul 21, 2010 at 2:20 AM
    05offroad

05offroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    El Cajon, California
    Vehicle:
    '05 Long Travel Prerunner
    I've lost track
    You'll have more issues to come with spacers...you should upgrade to a new strut or coilover imo

5. Jul 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    donaldwagner

donaldwagner -Don-

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    College Park, Orlando
    Vehicle:
    2013 single cab 4x4
    my friend had the same problem, you need preloaded spacers, no other solution

Products Discussed in

To Top