1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clunking sound finally fixed...New Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by matt_06trdtaco, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Jun 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    matt_06trdtaco

matt_06trdtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Off Road V6 4x4
    OEM Bed mat, OEM running boards
    My 2006 Tacoma AC with TRD OR package had been making a loud clunking or banging noise and "harsh ride" for the last 6 months (since I bought the truck) while going over all sorts of bumps.

I have the TSB leaf pack, so I was certain the leaf springs were not the culprit.

I finally managed to find the time to bring the truck into the dealer, and after inspecting it, they found both rear shocks needed to be replaced. This was covered under warranty, as expected. I also got them to do the "Air Intake Hose Rattle" TSB while in there, as I had noticed vibration from the passenger fender more recently.

Anyways, I finally got the truck back today, and WOW, I cannot believe the difference. The truck rides SO much smoother and no more clunking!

However, before bringing the truck into the dealer, I had noticed a significant drivers side lean on the truck. On the rear of the truck, ground to fender on the drivers side is 37", while it is 38" on the passenger side.

I am familiar with the "Tacoma Lean", but is it common for the rear to vary one inch from the driver to passenger side?

Is it possible that driving with "broken" shocks for an extended time placed more load on the rear leaf springs, causing them to sag prematurely?

FWIW, gas tank was essentially empty when I made these measurements.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks guys and gals.

Products Discussed in

To Top