1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Cover Assembly Matchmarks - What are they

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wally, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Oct 16, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    Wally

Wally [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    The clutch R&R section in the manual has the following 2 references to matchmarks:

REMOVE CLUTCH COVER ASSEMBLY
    (a) Align the matchmark on the clutch cover assembly with the one on the flywheel sub-assembly.
    (b) Loosen each set bolt one turn at a time until the spring tension is released.

INSTALL CLUTCH COVER ASSEMBLY
    (a) Align the matchmarks on the clutch cover assembly and flywheel sub-assembly.
    (b) Following the procedures shown in the illustration, tighten the 6 bolts, in the order starting with the bolt located near the knock pin on the top.

The illustration has a black line that is supposed to indicate a match mark but there is no special hole or marking of any sort on my clutch plate assembly. I know you're supposed to mark certain components on dis-assembly to ensure they are reassembled in the correct position but the dis-assembly instruction imply you are supposed to align something before undoing the bolts.

There doesn't seem to be any special alignment requirements between the flywheel and clutch assembly other than lining up the dowels with the dowel holes and not a bolt hole.

Am I missing something? I can't see matchmarks anywhere or even a need for them.

2. Oct 16, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I guess you could always make your own marks while everything is together. Other than that, I can't be of much help.

Products Discussed in

To Top