1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Habits (Auto trans drivers plz don't vote)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gozar, Sep 5, 2009.

?

Coming to a stop

Poll closed Oct 5, 2009.
  1. Clutch in - Coasting while braking

29 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Downshift

57 vote(s)
    53.3%
  3. Clutch out 'til just before stopping

21 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Oct 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Completely Incorrect

1.Engine vacuum is a product of the engine pulling air in, and the throttle plate restricting it. The only time vacuum is lost is under large throttle openings.
    2.Shutting the truck off does not lead to a loss of brakes or vacuum if you leave the truck in gear, (try it).
    3. Scangauge says the injector pulse is shortened at mid to high rpms, injectors off completly, much of the time below 2000 rpm....

According to Paul Williamsen, the product education manager at Toyota, “All contemporary Toyota and Lexus vehicles (and every other car built since the 1990s that I’ve looked at) can detect the condition when engine revs are higher than idle with a fully closed throttle: Under these conditions, all current to the fuel injectors is stopped, and no fuel is injected.” That means if your foot is off the gas while the car’s in gear, you’re not using any fuel.

2. Oct 2, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    Number 3 method. To save gas as Isthatahemi has explained why. I never understand why someone would downshift through all the gears when coming to a stop light. No matter how good you are at rev matching, its impossible to get it exact, thereby wearing the clutch.
    I do rev match when I need to downshift, but certainly not when I know I will be stopping. Even in fifth you can get slowed down fairly well before lugging and needing to clutch. Then the brake effort to stop is minimal. Brake pads are cheaper and much easier to replace than a clutch. Coasting in gear uses no fuel whereby idling using about 0.3 gal/hr in my 4 cylinder.

Something no one has mentioned is that coasting in gear is actually beneficial in that the high vacuum condition pulls minute amounts of oil into the upper cylinder head region for added lubrication.

3. Oct 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    ipoodman

ipoodman Active Member

Member:
    I'm the downshift kinda guy. It's always good to be ready to move at any time.

4. Oct 2, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    I voted for option 3, but what I usually do is put it in neutral and coast. Then, judging by the speed, if the light turns green, I put it back in gear and take off.

Products Discussed in

To Top