1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Masters Internal Release Bearing Group Buy

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by 406cruiser, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Dec 18, 2019 at 6:30 PM
    406cruiser

406cruiser [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well, here we go again! The first group buy for the Clutch Masters Internal Hydraulic Release Bearing kit for the 2nd Gen Toyota Tacoma and FJ Cruiser 6-Speed transmissions was a hit. We had over 40 people go in on the group buy and since then many have reported back with raving reviews. If you are just coming across this and are curious about it, there is a detailed thread with lots of discussion here, https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-manual-transmission-fix.624299/ as well as my original thread I posted on the FJ Cruiser Forums, https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/thr...der-upgrade-for-6-speeds.735258/#post-9252052

Clutch Masters has asked me to organize another group buy for them since they thought I was a huge help on the last group buy (also they were hoping to organize a group buy as official TacomaWorld vendors, but never got word back from anyone on how to get setup). Anyway here is what this group buy will be for.

http://www.clutchmasters.com/n16078-h-toyota-tacoma-and-fj-cruiser-6-speed-ra60-ra61/

[​IMG]

As of now I currently have about 2500 miles on the kit since installation and have had zero issues or any concern of any issues arising. I have daily driven my rig with it in stop and go traffic, and I have done some slow speed crawling and the clutch system just feels so much better and easier to modulate the peddle. I think the overall consensus from what I have heard back from people who have installed it and what feedback Clutch Masters has had is everyone thinks this upgrade is a hit.

Alright down to brass tax, here are the group buy details:

- 10 people commit to purchasing the kit, the price will go from $475 to $425. $50 off an optional clutch kit if added. A custom billet oil cap can be added for $30.

- 15 people commit to purchasing a kit the price will be $375. $100 off optional clutch kit if added. Billet oil cap can be added for $20.

- 20 people commit, the price will be $375. Clutch kit will be $100 off. Billet oil cap will be free to everyone who partakes in the group buy.

The last time everyone got a free billet oil cap and they all turned out awesome it looked like! Clutch Masters does all their machining, anodizing and laser engraving in house so custom options are possible, however last time just a simple TRD logo was by far the most popular option!

http://www.clutchmasters.com/toyota-billet-aluminum-oil-cap/

[​IMG]

As before, we'll let the group buy run for a couple of weeks. I will also post a group buy update on the fjcruiserforums and the people who commit over there will count towards the final group buy number as well.

After two weeks is up and we have a final tally of commitments, I will get a discount code from the guys at Clutch Masters and distribute them via PMs to those who have committed. You can then go to their website and purchase the hydraulic bearing kit, add a clutch kit if you desire, and add the oil cap as well, and use the coupon for it all.

Let me know if anyone has any questions!

UPDATE 12/29, Here's who has signed up so far:

1. TacoTuesday1
    2. JuanitoBunito
    3. kdurant56
    4. TRON
    5. TheFang
    6. JustDSM
    7. JeffRoyJenkins
    8. binge_stinker
    9. nhxrunner
    10. HumbldtToyo707
    11. dborrer
    12. t2ch
    13. xDC23
    14. kaseydc
    15. Orion ZyGarian
    16. Uncle Cliffy
    17. Vegg8
    18. mav
    19. novanut21
    20. Jaicox04
    21. Boomkanani
    22. Hardscrabble
    23. skijosh87 (FJCruiserForums)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    dnl_tacoma, kdurant56 and dborrer like this.
  2. Dec 18, 2019 at 6:34 PM
    406cruiser

Member:
    Also I should note, that Clutch Masters has about 30 of the kits in stock ready to go so after the group buy ends there should be no big delays getting anyone their parts. The only thing that could add on a little bit of extra time getting the kits shipped out is the possible custom nature of the oil caps and how many different colors for anodizing there is and logos that people want laser engraved! Just thought I'd make that known right now as well.

dnl_tacoma and mcharfauros like this.
  3. Dec 18, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    I'm interested

4. Dec 18, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    :popcorn:
    Is there anyone who has this kit past ohhh 45,000 miles?
    My factory didnt start tell about 70,000.

Tring to compare longevity

whatstcp and TRON like this.
  5. Dec 18, 2019 at 7:28 PM
    LGOPs504

LGOPs504 Nobody can hear you scream in Space.

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR DCSB
    Stuff and things
    Dammit, I just pulled the trigger last week on this, was advised that I may have to wait. But I want an oil cap.... 1st world problems

6. Dec 18, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
  7. Dec 18, 2019 at 11:03 PM
    kdurant56

kdurant56 Active Member

Member:
    Hawai’i
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Xtra Cab 6spd
    Sign me up

8. Dec 18, 2019 at 11:18 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit
    Right! It’s gonna be like 4 years before anyone gets close to the 50k marker on these CM hydro bearings to compare. But isn’t the main reason the stock TOB goes bad over time is cause the bearing grease drys up?

As long as those braided lines don’t leak at the connections I think any bearing should work well longer than 50k if it’s constantly being lubricated with brake fluid. I’m just brainstorming here

Im installing a new clutch in the next couple months so I’m interested.

9. Dec 19, 2019 at 12:47 AM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    I'm 100% in. Been waiting for this to happen since I missed the last group buy.

10. Dec 19, 2019 at 5:34 AM
    JustDSM

JustDSM Oderint Dum Metuant

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    Throw my name in the hat.

11. Dec 19, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    JeffRoyJenkins

JeffRoyJenkins Essentially Non-Essential

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Nothing too exciting... maybe a little rust
    I'm in, I was hoping to wait a bit longer before I had to spend the money but my TOB is in a bad way so I might as well get this while it's on the cheap.

12. Dec 19, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    binge_stinker

binge_stinker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 4X4 MT6 DCSB
    Power sliding rear cab window retrofit
    @406cruiser I'm in, how long does the group buy pricing last?

13. Dec 19, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    406cruiser

Member:
    No, this part was developed just this year. I have been running it the longest, but others might have more miles then I do since I have a pretty short commute and haven't take any big trips. I have about 2500 miles on the kit so far. This part wasn't necessarily designed to eliminate the throw out bearing issues commonly found in these rigs. Although because of the design of this kit, and the fact that there are others out there being daily driven in other applications (since Clutch Masters makes these hydraulic throwout bearings for several other makes and models) they haven't yet had any issues with throwout bearings going out in any of the other thousands of kits out there, or any lines starting to leak. The only issue they have seen is when people didn't put the correct brake fluid into the system and it had compromised the rubber seals inside the hydraulic bearing housing.

What I set out to accomplish with this kit and teaming up with Clutch Masters to make it, was to get rid of the poorly designed clutch fork, pivot ball, and TOB combination that has seen instances of catastrophic failure by shearing the pivot ball off or the aluminum snout the TOB travels up and down just shearing completely off. The throwout bearing should also last much longer then the OE setup since with the CM kit, the throwout bearing is not being preloaded against the diaphragm of the clutch as it is from the factory. The TOB is in contact with the diaphragm, but it is not actively pushing against it like the factory setup is designed to do.

I've added everyone else's name to the list who has stated they were interested, we're at 10 already!

I asked Clutch Masters and they said I will just be able to give out a coupon code for everyone who doesn't necessarily want a kit to just be able to buy a discounted oil cap!

14. Dec 19, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    So I’m a little confused.....I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic. When it comes to clutches however I’m not to proud to admit I’m pretty clueless in how they exactly are installed. I understand the throwout bearing is a weak spot on the oem setup.

Does this replace the oem throwout bearing?

Would all that I would need to get to do a upgraded clutch replacement and oem tb bearing fix is get this and a clutch? Or would this be in addition to a clutch, tb bearing upgrade (like from URD)?

Hope this makes sense......

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  15. Dec 19, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    nhxrunner

nhxrunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    07 BSP X-Runner and 11 AG FJ Cruiser NSSE
    Everything!
    You can put me down for one.

16. Dec 19, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    JeffRoyJenkins

JeffRoyJenkins Essentially Non-Essential

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Nothing too exciting... maybe a little rust
    This kit completely replaces the existing throwout bearing setup. It is a retrofit that removes the bearing, the fork that moves the bearing and the slave cylinder mounted on the outside of the transmission that moves the fork. This kit then installs in place of the throwout bearing. It is a hydraulic piston with a bearing on it that engages the pressure plate on the clutch. The piston has a hydraulic line that runs out and mates up to the line that came off the now removed slave cylinder.

Long story short, with this and a new clutch assembly you have everything you need to get things all up and running like new (or better).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    kdurant56, TheFang, TRON and 2 others like this.
  17. Dec 19, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Ok sounds good. Thank you

What is included in the kit besides the TOB and the sweet! Cap?
    Is it a new clutch kit or just parts you put into a new clutch?

18. Dec 19, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    Copy that....100%. Thanks, this explained it me perfectly. :thumbsup:

19. Dec 19, 2019 at 2:30 PM
    HumbldtToyo707

HumbldtToyo707 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    06 SWB Taco TRD 6-spd
    Custom rock sliders 2.5" Lift on Revtek
    Please add me to the list. Whoohoo for no more squeaky TOB!!

20. Dec 19, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit
    So what’s the preferred brake fluid that CM recommends? Regardless, properly good to flush out all the old brake fluid for new.

Products Discussed in

To Top