1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Masters Internal Release Bearing Group Buy

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by 406cruiser, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Apr 1, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    Zacowacko

Zacowacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    SW, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TE 4x4 6spd
    TRD Pro Susp., Icon AAL, Bags w/cradles, US OR Bumper w/Smitty, 2Lo Mod
    Awesome, let us know how it goes. Keep your notifications on for this thread. Curious to see how it goes for you.

livpool14 likes this.
  2. May 17, 2021 at 10:31 PM
    BillDaCat8

BillDaCat8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    you sure on that username ? :D

3. May 18, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB SC M/T TRD Sport
    Whoopsies

Who the hell is BillDaCat2? I know BillDaCat8 but not the guys with the 2 lol

4. Jun 2, 2021 at 4:00 AM
    t2ch

t2ch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    Another one for the piece of shit column.
    Seal blew out and fluid everywhere. My son was able to put fluid in it and bleed it enough to get it home.
    I called CM... this is very rare thing... we will send a new seal for $20.00.

I do not suggest going this route. 30k miles and now I have to drop the trans again.
    Calling Toyota today for price of new parts.

5. Jun 3, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    Zacowacko

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    SW, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TE 4x4 6spd
    Wow! o_O

I'll most likely stay away from this fix.

6. Jun 24, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit
    I’m really curious if this is true. Kevin with Clutch Masters replied to my email and is stating they sell the Toyota T/O bearing on a regular basis?! And it’s the most popular bearing they sell. How can that be true?

I’m definitely not a member of every Tacoma forum but tacomaworld has to be one of the biggest. And I’m not hearing any good reviews about this T/O bearing kit to say the least.

7. Jun 24, 2021 at 5:53 PM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    I'm in a manual taco group on Facebook (not actually all that interesting) and there's a ton of third gen guys buying these. I've predicted a mass epidemic of failures for them but it hasn't seemed to have come to be so either:
    a) no one has enough miles yet (doubtful)
    Or
    b) Clutchmasters actually got the third gen version right (I also find this doubtful lol).

8. Jun 24, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit
    Any new hydro bearing kit must last at least 50k or I would consider it a failure. Cause you can at least get that with stock Toyota parts.

I can’t believe URD is selling this kit now.

TodayWasTHeDaY likes this.
  9. Jun 24, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    BillDaCat8

BillDaCat8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PHX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab M/T
    My shit is all stock.
    Having failed twice on me in under 5k miles. And then witnessing the absolutely non-existent zero effort, zero apologies, zero response cowardice of Kevin at Clutchmasters; Why in the fucking world would anyone ever use anything they sell? Ever.

TodayWasTHeDaY likes this.
  10. Jun 25, 2021 at 6:44 AM
    Zacowacko

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    SW, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TE 4x4 6spd
    Why are the 3rd gens buying these? I thought they redesigned it on the new transmission and chirping TOB wasnt an issue for them?

11. Jun 25, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    You know you're absolutely right. I actually just checked the website and they don't have anything for sale for 3rd gens. Seems I misread on facebook and it seems the clutchmasters clutches are what's popular with third gens. A lot of them seem to blow through there clutches awfully quick so I think the stock clutches must not be great on them.

Good reason for the lack of bearing failures for them. Solid facepalm for me lol:frusty:

12. Jun 25, 2021 at 7:58 AM
    Zacowacko

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    SW, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TE 4x4 6spd
    Good to know. But clutches going out on them?! I am about at 160k on my stock clutch. I was hoping when its time to pass this one down to my oldest, i would switch to a turd gen 6spd. Hopefully they have the clutch sorted out by then.

13. Jun 25, 2021 at 8:04 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    I've seen more than a few posts about burning through their clutches in 30-40k.

14. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    Zacowacko

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    SW, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TE 4x4 6spd
    Thats crazy for a Toyota. Think we changed my brothers first gen clutch, around 250k and he wheeled it hard. Maybe we are just easy on them.

15. Jun 25, 2021 at 9:54 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    They definitely don't make them like they used to. A family friend had a forestry company and they had a lone mid eighties toyota bush truck that was well over around half a mil miles. Thing was driven soooo hard on logging roads, rolled at least once, had a fire in the bed, etc. and the thing just kept trucking.

16. Jun 25, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    Zacowacko

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    SW, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TE 4x4 6spd
    Ya they built those as good as the Hilux's. I'd give my left foot for one of the old solid axles trucks.

17. Jul 19, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    Di5cip1e

Di5cip1e New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4X4 6 spd manual
    Just ordered the Clutch Masters Hydro TOB kit. I've dealt with that stupid cricket for too long. It seems two dudes had duds and it's caused a scare. Things can be defective or accidents happen (dented seal etc.). I know most things I work on only get broadcasted if there's a serious problem. I'll remain optimistic because it's the best hope us 6 spd owners got ATM. I'll update after the install. Got an Aisin clutch coming too...

Didn't come across this until now. Good info:
    https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/thr...c-slave-cylinder-upgrade-for-6-speeds.735258/

P.S. the group code saved me $50! Thanks for that!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  18. Jul 19, 2021 at 7:18 PM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    Knock on wood I have 20k ish on mine. My trans got stuck in gear so I pulled it last week to get the detents unstuck. Anyways I inspected the bearings and it seemed to be still in good condition. Wish I had a new seal on hand to freshen it up but had to get it back in the road again. Fingers crossed it holds.

Di5cip1e[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jul 20, 2021 at 6:49 AM
    JeffRoyJenkins

JeffRoyJenkins Essentially Non-Essential

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Nothing too exciting... maybe a little rust
    Damn, I should've posted this earlier but I have mine sitting around still sealed up in the box. I have my truck up for sale and I was going to pass it along to the new owner but not getting any bites I'm thinking I will sell off some of the parts I had planned to throw in and lower the price of the truck itself.

If anyone is interested I was thinking $350 shipped if anyone is interested in rolling the dice?

20. Jul 31, 2021 at 1:02 PM
    livpool14

livpool14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Taco OR MT
    aFe CAI Momentum GT Power Package, aFe headers, aFe Y-Pipe, TRD Exhaust, OVTune, URD Stage 2 clutch, URD quickshift, Icon Stage II, Icon Delta Joint UCAs, ECGS bushing, Hercules Terra Trac AT II 265/70r17 115T, FN f(x) Pro 17" Matte Black, Ice Gray Katzkin, RCI front skid, Optima Yellow Battery, StopTech Sport Slotted Cryo rotors w/ TRD Brake Pads, Sealight LED, BHLM, 3rd Gen Side Decals, Plasti Dip badges, Cab LEDs, redline hood struts
    I've had the Clutch Master Hydro Bearing in for about 1,000 miles now. I still have some shuddering starting in 1st gear but I'm wondering if that is because I had the oem flywheel resurfaced instead of replacing it with new or aftermarket.

I also have an issue getting into 1st and 4th from time to time and I'm not sure if that is due to driving for awhile in 100+ degree weather/an engagement issue or if clutch/flywheel bolting needs to be looked at?

I noticed that if I throw it into 2nd or 3rd real quick I can get into 1st easily.

Any ideas here are much appreciated. Outside of the occasional issue mentioned above I love it.

I also have the URD short shift, not sure if that needs to be looked at

Products Discussed in

To Top