1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Masters Internal Release Bearing Group Buy

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by 406cruiser, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Aug 1, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    Di5cip1e

Di5cip1e New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4X4 6 spd manual
    Well I've installed the Hydro bearing, a new clutch, Flywheel, and rear main seal. I feel like I got hit by a buss but the clutch feels great so far. I'll post an update after we get some miles on...

2. Dec 7, 2021 at 6:26 PM
    Forumuser

Forumuser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Fox 2.5 front 2.0 rear, Camburg uca's, ubolt flip w/timbren bumps, afe intake, URD fuel kit, TRD S/C, URD 2.6pulley, URD 160 thermostat, URD Headers Y-pipe exhaust, short throw shift, innovate boost afr gauge, optima battery, URD heavy flywheel, stage 2 clutch, hydraulic throw out conversion
    I have blown that stupid seal a half dozen times and was just tired of listening to the wrong information. I fabricated some spacers to keep it from overthrowing. In 30k it’s blown out several times. Never any damage to the bearing, clutch or even the seal. I’ve replaced the seal every time even though it showed absolutely no signs of wear. This has been an amazing fix. It’s shifting, going through the gears excellent, not hanging up in second anymore. If anyone else is having the same problem I can fab the same setup for you. It’s the bright silver that I added.

42797145-43A9-4395-B00E-1381DA97C6C1.jpg

novanut21 and Boomkanani like this.
  3. Jul 1, 2022 at 4:28 PM
    dborrer

dborrer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Dan
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x MT
    2018 new Frame (thank you Rust!), FJ T-case swap. SPC(LR) UCAs, Bilstein 5100s front - rear, OME 883 at 0, HeadStrongOffRoad 3 leaf progressive AAL, MESO custom 2nd gen (Red/White) LED dome & Ultimate Maps, Spyder Halo Projector w LEDs (which SUCK), Spyder LED tails
    Just throwing this out there: I have one setting on the shelf for probably 2 years + now, from a group buy way back, and when I feared my stock clutch was about to go out... its still going and I don't have the desire to do this swap any more....

....so For Sale best offer ($350 range) plus shipping from 32080.

I was all excited and have the Oil cap in use in the truck... it is their aluminum Blue color and will go with the sale.

IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5403.jpg

4. Jul 1, 2022 at 9:25 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    i wonder what to make of this
    Just switched from OE to URD and the pedal seems like there’s less dead space now…

2DA4DD9A-36E8-404A-A5ED-DD575A166F35.jpg

5. Nov 1, 2023 at 9:23 AM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    Clutch pedal on the floor this morning. Barely an inch or two of travel. It would disengage enough to drive around the block. Popped the pedal back up by pulling it with my foot, and it worked for about a mile. Then to the floor again. No wet spot under the truck, but undrivable for sure.

6. Nov 1, 2023 at 10:47 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB SC M/T TRD Sport
    That sucks dude. Not a good feeling when that happens.

7. Nov 1, 2023 at 4:10 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    I guess you qualify to get it. Just saw in classifieds a Tilton kit. Might even come with the hardware kit that a guy makes on here separate.

I already got the hardware kit to keep in storage for down the road when eventually making the switch or just in case mine fails. Don’t want to get caught with my pants down needing it in an emergency years later only to find out hardware kit no longer made.

8. Nov 1, 2023 at 5:23 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    Link to that classified?? That would be money. Cut down on waiting for the manufacturer to ship OG parts.

9. Nov 1, 2023 at 6:16 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.

How's this new spacer setup working out? How many miles do you have on the new setup? I might be interested in a set of those spacers.

10. Nov 18, 2023 at 2:03 PM
    Tfs94gt

Tfs94gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Trd OR 6 spd
    Mine CM kit finally took a dump this week. Sticking pedal, low fluid and puddle under the truck. I’m considering putting seal in and selling. I’m burned out on this transmission. Are the people with failures getting the deal from clutch masters or somewhere else?

11. Nov 18, 2023 at 6:42 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Selling what? The CM after you put a seal in? I'd only sell that to someone I hate. And what is this deal you speak of?

TodayWasTHeDaY likes this.
  12. Nov 18, 2023 at 7:02 PM
    Tfs94gt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Trd OR 6 spd
    Selling the truck. Deal was a typo I meant to spell seal. I love the truck but I’m about sick of the transmission issues with it. Awful design.

13. Nov 18, 2023 at 9:40 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    It is what it is. As soon as you start modding any vehicle this is the risk you run. Toyota isn't alone in tranny issues. Ford is fighting off a class action lawsuit on their F-150 10 speed tranny right now. It's having shifting and engagement problems. They are pumping out band-aids in software updates but it's not looking great.

14. Nov 18, 2023 at 10:16 PM
    Tfs94gt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Trd OR 6 spd
    Oh believe me I’m aware. This is actually the least modified vehicle i own. I did the CM setup thinking it would be more reliable than the factory setup. It drives and feels superior to the factory setup but like everyone else I’m dejected with how low quality the cm kit was. I believe I’m gonna attempt the tilton bearing retrofit before I give up on the truck.

15. Nov 18, 2023 at 11:44 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Was just on Clutchmaster's website. I couldn't find anything offered for our year group truck anymore. Only for the third gen. Interesting....

16. Nov 20, 2023 at 9:22 AM
    Tfs94gt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Trd OR 6 spd
    If anyone needs anymore reassurance that you DO NOT want to do business with clutch masters let me reiterate that they’re an absolute clown show.
    Just called to inquire about their seal “update” to get my truck back goig until I can accrue the parts for the Tipton bearing. Person who answered the phone seemed inconvenienced and arrogant. I told him a failure at 20k miles for a $550 part isn’t acceptable they SHOULD replace the entire unit much less just a seal. His response was “hydraulic anything can fail at anytime it’s got a 90 day warranty”. Garbage company.
    I’m gonna borrow a work truck from the office and go the Tipton route asap

BillDaCat8 likes this.
  17. Nov 20, 2023 at 1:28 PM
    Shadowhunter

Shadowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Birdsview Washington
    Vehicle:
    13’ DCSB MT Sport
    Whats under the truck? OME 886’s Nitro Chargers 1/4” top plate spacers 1.5” Icon add-a-leaf for a total of 3” front and rear. 275/80/17 MTR’s SCS Ray10’ URD Stage 2 clutch Heavy Flywheel Clutch Masters Hydro Bering What’s on the front? Cbi bumper steel. Smittybilt X20 10k Under the hood? Ultimate headlight and fog light harnesses 100w/90w H4Headlights 9011 60wHir Fogs Anytime fog mod Northstar Group 34 14.7 Voltage booster Red Line hood struts K&N replacement filter on secondary air pump K&N air cleaner Donbison Snorkle In the cab? Wet Okie seat covers Petal Comander Meso Maps and Dome Molle panels on the consol Flyeyze Under the climate controls,glove box and center consol TRD Logo plates over door latches Weather Tech Floor mats with Custom TRD stickers Weather Tech Rain guards Weather Tech bug shield Full Head liner of patches On the bed? Snug-top Rebel Yakima racks Chinese knock off bat wing awning with walls Water Port Quick Fists Mount Bed Mat Anti theft tail gate bracket Trailer plug relocate Coms? Buofeng Navigation Garmin Alpha 100 ( Hound hunting GPS System) ECGS Bushing Cobra Rx75 Cb Home made sleeping platform with drawers. On the bench waiting to go in? 3* Cam Gears. Powder Coated Valve Covers Custom 3/4” intake spacer
    It’s not really even a special seal it’s just an o ring. It just looks like a special seal after it gets melted flat.

18. Nov 20, 2023 at 10:07 PM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    I emailed them and got an RA# to send the unit into them for "inspection and to see if it can be rebuilt". So not terrible customer service so far in my experience.

19. Nov 21, 2023 at 2:21 AM
    Tfs94gt

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB Trd OR 6 spd
    How has this solution lasted? Still in use?

20. Nov 21, 2023 at 12:03 PM
    Zacowacko

Zacowacko Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    SW, OK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TE 4x4 6spd
    TRD Pro Susp., Icon AAL, Bags w/cradles, US OR Bumper w/Smitty, 2Lo Mod
    I am glad i kept up with this thread and did not buy one of their kits, based off all these issues. Mine started to squeak at around 40kish, if i remember right. I now have over 200k and i guess my brain tunes it out and the radio is too loud, lol. Still on stock clutch. Always said i would address it went the clutch went out, but never has. Probably would just throw another stock TOB in there, when it does finally go out.

Products Discussed in

To Top