1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch release bearing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gdawg25, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Jan 10, 2008 at 9:59 AM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 [OP] Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    So I've noticed a ticking/clicking noise from the front underside of my Taco for a couple weeks, and it was most noticeable at idle while in neutral. I found that the only time this noise would go away was when I pressed my clutch in, and it would come back when the clutch pedal was all the way out. So yesterday I took my truck in to the dealership for it's scheduled maintenance and mentioned the noise. At the end of the day when I went to pick up my truck they said that they had a clutch release bearing on order, and it was the reason for all the noise. So I said ok, as I didn't really know what exactly the release bearing did. However, today I've been doing some research online, and from what I have found my issue sounds more like a transmission problem. According to some sources when you are in neutral and idling and there is a noise it is most likely the transmission, and it is usually the release bearing when you begin to press the clutch in and the noise occurs. So I'm a little confused right now and want to know if anybody has experienced this problem with any other vehicle or perhaps your Tacoma. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and the dealership also has some rear shocks on order for my Taco as the originals are leaking. I'm a little pissed as to why my shocks are leaking already - I only have 40,000km on the truck. But at least everything is warranty.

2. Jan 10, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
    I agree with the information you found. The 'throw-out bearing' as we call it
    down south is only working when the clutch is pushed in. I have a 91 chevy
    with transmission noise and you only hear it when its in neutral with the clutch out or when you are driving.
    Good Luck.

3. Jan 10, 2008 at 10:33 AM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 [OP] Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    Ok good, now I know I am making sense of the information I am getting from the web. Thanks.

4. Jan 15, 2008 at 7:06 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 [OP] Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    Well I took my truck into the dealership this morning to get my clutch release bearing and rear shocks replaced. Picked it up after work and everything seems to be good now - no more clicking noise, and it seems to be shifting smoother. Still pissed off that this 'reliable' truck I bought is falling apart already, only 40,000km's.

Compared to my '91 Ford Anger, that I put 80,000km's on, and drove the shit out of, I baby the Taco...needless to say I'm not impressed.

5. Jan 15, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 [OP] Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    I go out to the mountains quite a bit, and some of the roads are fire roads, which are pretty narrow, and when you are going up and have to stop to let people bye, its pretty hard on the clutch when you have to start up a steep incline. Needless to say I have smoked the clutch a couple of times getting started, and it doesn't help when you have 4 guys in the truck along with 4 downhill bikes.

6. Jun 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM
    ninja_taco

ninja_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    Vanillarama Pinetree Scent
    im having the same issue u were, however i only have 7500 miles on my 08 and it only occurs at idle when the a/c is on. im planning to take it in tomorrow morning to see what they think at the dealership

7. Jun 12, 2008 at 3:25 PM
    ninja_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    so after taking it in the first time, they told me that they thought it was the a/c compressor causing the noise, and they assured me that they checked the transmission and there was nothing that they could find wrong with it. of course this was not the case, as i soon found out after leaving the dealership. i had to wait another 4 days before i could get it back to them and it is still there 2 days later. they called to tell me that they ended up having to call toyota because they had no idea now what was going on, toyota tells the dealership that there are only about 4 other known cases of this particular situation, they now think it is the transmission. so they are holding on to my new toy and depriving me. hopefully this time they will get it right.

8. Jun 12, 2008 at 5:38 PM
    sixgunner

sixgunner Member

Member:
    I have an 07 Tacoma Prerunner. When the truck is idling with the A/C on , as soon as the compressor kicks on it sounds like a diesel engine. If you press in the clutch it goes away. Now, if the truck is idling with the A/C off, no noise. The dealership says Toyota knows of this problem but doesn't have a fix. I have an appointment in 4 weeks to see the area Rep.

9. Jun 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    Mellow

Mellow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Ext Cab SR5 4-Cyl Prerunner
    I haven't tried pushing in the clutch.. Mine makes the same diesel noise.. I'll try to see if the clutch makes it disappear. I just assumed it was an A/C thing.

Let me know what you find out.

10. Jun 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM
    ninja_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    thats exactly what mine was doing.

11. Jun 13, 2008 at 12:10 PM
    ninja_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    so i just called to check up with the dealership and they had no news. im told that another truck came in this mornin to the dealership with the same problem, however, they said that his sounded worse than mine. they told me that it could be a few weeks before they get an answer to whats goin on, and also that toyota told them its still safe to drive so they want me to come get my truck and drive it around with this problem that they are unsure of until they get an answer. how can they not know what the problem is and still say that it is safe to drive?

12. Jun 18, 2008 at 7:59 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I had this issue on my 07' 2.7L Tacoma. Never got it resolved. They replaced my clutch release bearing and my clutch. Worked for a few days, and then I started hearing the noise again.

My answer - ignore it. Then I traded in my truck and forgot about it. I am still under the impression that it is a clutch issue, but I don't have anything to substantiate that now that I don't have the truck anymore.

13. Jun 22, 2008 at 2:37 PM
    ninja_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    so the latest from the dealership is just what 007 said, they have no answer for what is going on, nor do they have a clue how to fix it. they pulled a new truck next to it that faintly made the noise, so i dunno what to do. guess i'll have to suck it up and ignore it.

14. Nov 18, 2008 at 2:34 PM
    tsilliker

tsilliker Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Tundra wheels, Access roll-up tonneau, D-rings in front of bed floor, tinted glass in doors to match privacy glass, synthetic oil, Husky floor liners, fog lights, constant power mod for 12v plugs, heated mirrors, brake controller, billet grill, radio aux input mod.
    Mine also makes that noise sometimes. Dry clutches make noise. Ask any Ducati motorcycle owner!

15. Nov 18, 2008 at 3:03 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    The trick I learned was to use the e-brake as resistance. Easier to do it in cars where you can pull it up from the center console and keep a thumb on the release.

Products Discussed in

To Top