1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch self-engages at stop sign

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Okay, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Jul 5, 2015 at 1:23 PM
    Okay

Okay [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi,

I'm having a clutch problem and am looking for a bit of diagnostic help.

I think most clutch problems are beyond my ability, but I would like
    to know what to expect if I take it in for service.

This started happening in the last week or so.

I come to a stop sign. I push the clutch in all the way and hold it while I brake
    to a stop. When I proceed to let the clutch out, engagement appears to be at the "bottom"
    of the foot travel instead of in the middle where it normally is. If I continue on, I shift through the gears and things feel fine with engagement at the normal position.

In some cases, I have had the peddle to the floor and the clutch has self-engaged
    and the engine dies.

It seems to be dependent on how long I hold the peddle down. I can still drive OK
    if I change my stopping procedure to: shift to neutral, brake to stop, clutch in and go.

It does seem to help if I "pump" the peddle, maybe.

I have replaced the clutch hydraulic fluid (brake fluid) and that did not fix the problem.

2. Jul 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    Okay

Okay [OP] Member

Member:
    I crawled under the truck and put a measuring tape on the distance from a fixed point to the position of the moving bit while my lovely assistant pushed down on the clutch peddle. About 20% of the time the thing would go to full length and then fall back about halfway to resting. I think that means either my master cylinder or slave cylinder are leaking internally and unable to hold pressure against the spring.

That happens to be something I think I can fix. Now to order new ones and get them installed.

3. Jul 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    That's what it sounds like. Keep in mind that a slave will leak only to the outside world and be visible while the master can leak internally and not "show".

4. Jul 5, 2015 at 7:42 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    Sounds like you did a good job diagnosing. I would put money on the slave cylinder because it is more exposed to the elements, but you can at least check if the master cylinder had a major failure by looking around where the pedal connects to it, is it greasy or have pooled oil.

5. Jul 5, 2015 at 9:05 PM
    trx125

trx125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would just replace both and be done. They aren't that expensive to replace.

Products Discussed in

To Top