1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Slipping 2010 4x4 4 cylinder Trucks FYI

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pheyup33, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Dec 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    pheyup33

pheyup33 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock
    none at this time.
    At 8600 miles I noticed that my clutch was slipping in 4th gear, I also noticed it would only do it on very cold mornings, below 40 degrees. I took the truck to the dealer and of course they could not"Duplicate" the problem. When I took the truck the first time the clutch was not slipping but I was hoping they would take my word for it, nope, not the case. The dealer has to duplicate the problem prior to any work done to the truck. I then drove the truck for about week and sure enough we finally had another cold morning and sure enough the clutch started slipping again, 4th gear. I drove straight to the dealer and thank goodness it continued to slip in 4th gear for the shop foreman. Of course he says to me while in 4th gear and the engine revving up, "I don't think that’s the clutch." I looked at him and said, "Are you a mechanic?" He did not say anything. I then said, "Anytime your engine out runs your transmission and tires that’s a clutch brotha." We stopped at a stop sign and he became the driver, sure enough, it began to slip with him behind the wheel, again, 4th gear on a cold morning. I was so excited because I have the month of December off and come January I did not want to bum rides to work due to my truck being in the shop. Finally I get the dealer to recognize that the clutch was indeed slipping. I took photos of my invoices, I will try to upload them to this page. Also I found the codeToyota put out for this problem, T-SB-0066-11. Also I found a link that’s tells all about this problem.

http://www.tacomahq.com/758/tacoma-tsb-5-speed-manual-clutch-disk-defect/

I've been driving standard transmissions all my life; I'drather drive a standard transmission. I have never had to replace a clutch due to operator error. I'm posting this today to give all that have these trucks a heads up because when I called Toyota they treated me like I was the only one on planet Earth that was having this problem. Also when I went to the dealer the first time the Service Manager said, "We have no messages from Toyota about this problem." All was replaced by the warranty so no money out of my pocket, that was good. Everything to do with the clutch was replaced exceptthe Clutch Master Cylinder, Slave Cylinder and Throw Out Bearing. Hell, I even received a new clutch pedal, no charges. I have low miles on this truck due todeployments overseas. The first photo is of the first visit to the dealer, it shows that they could not "Duplacate" the problem. The second photo show all the work done to the truck with the "TSB" code for the problem. So!! Here it all is. Hope this helps all the folks with this problem. Thank You.

IMG_7564.jpg
    IMG_7566 - Copy.jpg

2. Jan 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    I had the same problems, dealer refused to look at the clutch unless I ponied up $800 for a teardown. If they found the disc burned, they would deem it my fault and I would pay. Well of course the disc would be burned because it was slipping . I went to a different dealer who did the right thing and replaced it under warranty.

Tepidy is close to being correct. The bad clutch is made by Luk in Mexico, the good clutch is made by Aisin in Japan.

dontbuy.jpg

3. Jan 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM
    Stick Sh1ft

Stick Sh1ft Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southern IL
    Vehicle:
    11 White Reg Cab 4x4 5spd
    Tonneau Cover
    I've got this exact same problem in my truck. It's a 2011, 2.7L 5 speed 4WD, only does it when it's cold and in 3rd or 4th gear at about 2,000rpm. It's rarely below 40 here in Souther Illinois throughout the day, when it gets really cold I'll take it to the dealer if the problem persists.

4. Jan 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    How many miles on your new clutch so far? I am going good with about 10000 on my new one.

5. Jan 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    Im having this issue also and my dealer is trying to charge me 1200 but the only thing I can find about the tsb is the identification number can anyone find the actual written tsb?

Products Discussed in

To Top