1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch squeak/chirp/crickets sound resolved

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by glassman, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    glassman

glassman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2006 prerunner
    Hi all,

I've received lots of useful information and responses from folks in my short time on these forums already, so I thought I'd try to post something useful myself!

I, as clearly many others have, had a squeaking/chirping sound coming from somewhere in my engine bay when my clutch pedal was NOT depressed, which would then completely disappear when the pedal was depressed 1/4 of the way to the floor or more (a "cricket" sound described it best). It was relentlessly annoying, despite not being *too* loud.

So, I read about it on TW and various other places around the interwebs, and came to the conclusion that it was very likely the "throwout bearing". This sounded painful since any kind of resolution involved removing the transmission (painful on the wallet, as I'm not very mechanically inclined).

Then, about a week before I was going to take it in to a local shop to get fixed (not a dealer, since I wanted to save the cash), I read about a TSB that was released by toyota, which described a similar sound. Thought, what the hell, might as well give it a shot ($65 for them to investigate the sound, thought it would be worth it if it happened to be covered the warranty).

Took it into the local toyota dealership, told the woman what the problem was, AND told her there was a TSB out that described what sounded like the problem (T-SB-0365-10). They ended up replacing the clutch release bearing assembly and the release cylinder, and solved the problem. It has been two days now, and I have driven with the windows down and without the radio on, just because it's so nice without that damn sound.

Also, the 5 year, 60k mile powertrain warranty that comes standard covered everything, including the inspection fee. Note that this warranty moves with the vehicle, so if you bought a used truck and it is <60 months old from the day it was driven off the lot, and <60k miles, you will be covered, no questions asked.

cheers.

Foushee and Myles G like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top