1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch start cancel button for manual

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TXpro4X4, May 21, 2012.

1. May 23, 2012 at 4:43 AM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    I use it to start my truck when I still have my ski boots on and its cold as fu**.

2. May 23, 2012 at 5:24 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |

x2

3. May 24, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    I swear if the e-break is on all the way you're not sliding. I've used it on a really steep hill that I needed to winch up because it was so loose and the e-brake held just fine.

But won't you slide backwards by doing that? If I'm on a really steep hill then the clutch won't hold my truck alone.
    Also, for using the button, do you just put the ignition on, press it, then start? If on a hill, wouldn't your foot need to be on the brake anyways, causing the starter to have to work against your foot? Maybe I'm just not understanding how it works....I guess I'll need to try it on a steep hill in 4lo sometime

4. May 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    With button:
    engine has stalled. Leave ignition on, 4lo, clutch pedal up, first gear, gas pedal on the floor, press button, crank engine until it runs. The max you should crank is 30 sec with 5 min of rest inbetween.

I've used the "clutch half-way engaged" method with much success. It takes practice and good timing. You either stall, go forward, or roll back. Properly done, it beats the button almost all the time.

5. May 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    Bajones

Bajones Well-Known Member

Member:
    According to the techs at a Toyo dealer this switch is meant for situations in which a switch in your clutch fails - ie you press the clutch and it won't start the car, press the clutch cancel. I can see how the clutch cancel would help on a steep hill but I would be hesitant to use it for several reasons.

6. May 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    ^^^^ This.

Have you ever noticed that if you are not pressing the clutch to the floor fully, your starter wont kick in? My dad has tried to drive my truck a few times and wont get the clutch all the way down and cant figure out why it wont start. If the sensor goes out that says your clutch is all the way down, you wouldnt be able to start it without the clutch start cancel. That is why it is there. The reason they have the clutch start feature is so that some idiot or kid doesnt turn the key and the thing take off through the fence.....or garage.

7. May 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    billygoat

billygoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    Sometimes the e-brake works, but fairly often it won't cut it. I'm guessing you have open diffs? If you do a search on Pirate4x4 and you will see what I'm talking about. Sometimes just two wheels don't give you enough traction to even stay put. I'm speaking from experience here.

A Toyota tech told me the Tacoma never came with an inverter or 120v outlet in the bed and it must be aftermarket. I've had several bad experiences with Toyota techs in the short time I've had my truck...I don't trust them to be honest. I'm pretty sure every manual car in production requires the clutch pedal be pressed for the car to start, but only the offroad models of some 4x4's come with the clutch start cancel feature...

8. May 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    ekapec

ekapec Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 sr5 prerunner
    ultragauge, Cupholders painted black, Pop & Lock, N-Fab Light bar, Aux backup lights, kc daylighters, hella 500ff driving lights, fog lights. Leer cap w/roof rack and rocket box. Pioneer avh1400 dvd. Backup camera.
    Just out of curiosity, having a button sounds the same as using the e-brake on a hill to prevent rolling backwards...releasing the e-brake once the engine gets enough gas. Is this different?

9. May 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    I do have open diffs. I couldn't search pirate4x4 'cause I'm not a member, but I think I know what you're talking about. So for the CSC, keeping the engine in gear keeps all four wheels connected to the engine giving more traction and thus you won't slide, as opposed to the e-brake which only holds two wheels and would only get traction to the front two once you let out the clutch. Do I have that right?

This was my question from post 16. See responses after that (Including this post)

10. May 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    forana

forana Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2022 DCSB OR Lunar Rock
    No money, all went to truck...
    I saw a youtube video where a kid ran a saleen mustang through his house. his dad was test driving it and parked at home since the salesman was a good friend. The kid hopped in, didn't know it was manual and the car had so much horspower that when he cranked the starter, it ran right through his house.

well lookie here, found the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxvtRxOoap4

11. May 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Don't people know how to heel and toe a manual? :confused:

12. May 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    I learned this when I first started wheelin' - It's a great skill to increase your offroad performance capability

13. May 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    My base model has it. No OR, no SR5, nothing. Plain Jane base.

So if we are supposed to have it in gear, the truck try to will lunge forward and stall, correct? So if I were to use it, how do I prevent it from stalling, just give it gas and hope for the best? :eek:

14. May 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Riiiiiiiight.

How often do you see manufacturers putting "emergency backup" systems on cars in case there's a mechanical failure? :rolleyes:

Dead battery? Just use those "built in" jumper cables.

Out of gas? Just flip the switch to the "backup" gas tank.

And of course, if that's true, why isn't the switch there on the 4x2 model??

Ya need a little historical perspective here.

The 4x4 "start on a hill" technique presented here was learned by old school guys driving jeeps that often had no parking brake or a very unreliable one. That's how they started on hills because they couldn't count on the parking brake to hold.

When the modern clutch safety interlock was invented - it thwarted a long-time-old-school driving style - even though it's arguably made obsolete by modern higher strength parking brakes. Drivers wanted the switch to Toyota provided it.

15. May 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    billygoat

billygoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    Indeed

Did not know that.

It won't stall in 4-low...I would not try it in high range though.

16. May 27, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Liutas

Liutas Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    SoFlo
    Read the manual, it specifically states the purpose of the switch.

17. May 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    *Le sigh* I'm going to echo everyone else in here...

RTFM >_<

18. May 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Rolling on The Floor Moaning? And making an O face?

19. May 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:

Gawd I hate it when people say this. They told me that with my car and I went to pull it out and it's thicker than my Bible. I shut it promptly and shoved it back into the glove box where it belongs. :mad:

I've had that dang car for 2.5 years now and I STILL don't know how to work the navigation. :confused:

20. May 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    Liutas

Liutas Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    SoFlo
    Yes, and it too holds the answers to all the mysteries of life. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top