1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch start cancel button for manual

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TXpro4X4, May 21, 2012.

1. May 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 [OP] Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Any one know what or how to properly use the button??:confused::confused:
    video would be appreciated.

2. May 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    Deercantseeme

Deercantseeme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Put in neutral. Push button. Start truck.

3. May 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    TXpro4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    the manual says with it in gear

4. May 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    Asta

Asta Hold My Beer and Watch This

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kings Bay, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
    No not in gear if you do it just lurks foward and dosent start its gotta be in neutral so itll start without the clutch

5. May 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    phatdrew

phatdrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    drew
    dover, de
    2" lift, 17" pro comp wheels, 285x70x17 micky t's, billet grill
    It's supposed to be used when you're on a hill. It's a hill start assist and left in gear.

6. May 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    this.

I turn the key half way with the truck in neutral, press the button, and then turn the key all the way. I do this when I want to start my truck without getting in it.

7. May 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    TXpro4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    I KNEW IT! any video anywhere?
    dont want to fuck my truck up!

8. May 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Use it any way you want. Too lazy to push in the clutch? Press button. Stalled on a hill and won't start again? Push button and "crank" your way up.

9. May 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    The purpose of the clutch start cancel button is this.. In the event that you are on a steep grade, in 4 low, and stall the truck, you can without depressing the clutch. Example: have one foot on the brake, and one of the accelerator, then start the vehicle. This is the one and only purpose for the switch.

Try it sometime on a steep driveway, or somewhere else safe. This is a very handy feature when off-road and more so a safety feature than anything. It isn't recommended that you do this anymore than needed as it is hard on the starter.

10. May 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    this is also true. but i never use it for this

11. May 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    pushing the button to start your truck in gear is a not so good idea. you still need to keep your truck in neutral. think of how loaded your starter is turning the engine, the transmission, and propelling your truck. if you do it often i can promise you you'll be replacing your starter often. if you're on a steep grade and your truck dies, you need to learn to ease off the clutch while simultaneously giving her a little gas. its pretty easy to do once you figure it out.

edit: i use mine like especk does, to start my truck from outside (leaning in the window)

12. May 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    It isn't great for the starter, or the flywheel if used on a regular basis, although this is the only reason your truck comes equipped with a clutch cancel button. It isn't there to start the car in neutral without depressing the clutch. It will work, but definitely was not intended for that purpose. I also beg to differ on the notion of needing to learn how to ease off the clutch on a steep grade. On any steep grade off road, depressing the clutch can be very dangerous, or simply all together not an option. Keep in mind, this feature was designed to be used ONLY in 4lo, which in turn puts much less stress on the starter due to the large gear reduction.

kystnTRD likes this.
  13. May 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    ^^^THIS

It is made to start on a steep grade in low range where if you press the clutch you would start rolling backwards. That is what it was always in there for. Yes you can start the truck in neutral with it and not have to get in but, that is what it was made for.

14. May 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    Good to know. Key point - 4lo

15. May 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    billygoat

billygoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    Indeed. Starting my Jeep in 4-low first gear has saved my butt many times on the Rubicon. Seeing that button on the dash combined with the diff lock button made me like the Tacoma that much more :)

16. May 23, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Huh, good to know!
    Why not just use the e-brake for steep hills and then put one foot on the clutch, one on the accelerator, start the clutch-accelerator transition, and then let the brake out to get into gear without rolling backwards? I do that all the time in hilly areas and off-road.

17. May 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Lol. If you want to know what happens when you try to start the truck in gear with the CSC, ask my sister. She decided to figure out what the CSC on my '90 4runner did with the truck in gear. Well, it started and drove straight through the fence and into the bushes in the back yard. She was so upset, I couldnt stop laughing....

18. May 23, 2012 at 1:22 AM
    billygoat

billygoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad 4x4
    6” Fabtech Lift, 35’s, lots o’ goodies
    I used to do this and never ever start in gear, but when I started driving some really gnarly trails my underwear and I found out that sometimes the e-brake just won't stop the truck from sliding towards a truck-eating boulder or a cliff. Also the e-brake method can be hard on the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain...the button is just so convenient.

19. May 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM
    Tacoma206

Tacoma206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
  20. May 23, 2012 at 4:40 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The parking brake is a sloppy method, for the reasons stated above.
    You should ease off the clutch until the rpm starts to drop, then lift off the brake and hit the gas while lifting off the clutch. This method works well for most situations off-road. The button is for last resort. The starter has a low duty cycle and will overheat from repeated button usage.

Products Discussed in

To Top