1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CO knife laws

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by skootx, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Apr 7, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    skootx

skootx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    It seems CO law prohibits the concealed carry of a knife over 3.5". Yet I also see mention that you can make an affirmative defense that the knife is for hunting or fishing. What does that mean?

2. Apr 7, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Probably means possessing a valid fishing or hunting licence and you're doing one or the other.

ebbs15 likes this.
  3. Apr 7, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    cosmicfires

cosmicfires Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular Cab SR5 4cyl 5speed 4x4
    Snugtop cab high canopy.
    I asked a lawyer what "affirmative defense" means. He said it means you can use it as a defense at your trial.

4. Apr 7, 2016 at 6:31 PM
    addicus24

addicus24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock.Why mess with perfection?Except...
    If I were you, and had a need/want to carry a knife over 3.5" long, I'd consult a competent attorney. In GA, our concealed carry license for firearms covers knives as well, I think. I've just never needed to carry a big knife concealed, so I've never sought a definitive answer. Good luck.

ebbs15 likes this.
  5. Apr 7, 2016 at 7:34 PM
    skootx

skootx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Icon Stage 1 Shocks & coils Deaver AAL Light Racing UCA's PAC SNI-35 line output converters, miniDSP, Rockford Fosgate R600X5, Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3SD210, Helix Blue B62C speakers, HELIX Blue B5X 5 speakers G4 Elite Fold A Cover Rear Diff Breather Relocation
    Thanks. Yeah, I do have a CCP for CO but I don't know if it covers knives either.

6. Apr 7, 2016 at 8:11 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    It does not. I doubt it does in GA either. For me, I carry whatever knife I want. Never heard of someone getting jammed up over knife length in CO. If you do, you've got a proven defense so, fuggit!

7. Apr 7, 2016 at 8:34 PM
    acidchylde

acidchylde Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Sport AC, black, still pretty much stock
    Not to quote Wikipedia or anything, but apparently I will, because I am not a lawyer or law enforcement agent of any kind. Basically an affirmative defense means you admit you were breaking whatever law, but you had a justifiable reason for doing so and the penalty for breaking said law shouldn't apply to you. I think it has to be recognized as such as well (ie, I was speeding because I was late doesn't work, but I shot someone in self-defense does). But if you want a real official answer, go ask a lawyer.

8. Apr 10, 2016 at 6:43 PM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    Well, if ever questioned by the man, your first words should be "I am on my way to or from- Fishing/ Hunting..."

9. Apr 10, 2016 at 6:53 PM
    xenophon

xenophon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB Tacoma TRD 4x4 Manual
    lol you have to have a permit to carry a knife? That's ridiculous as it is unenforceable.

10. Apr 10, 2016 at 7:03 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I agree it's ridiculous but it's not unenforceable. It just depends where the courts draw the line and what common law is established around accepted 'affirmative defense'. I can see why you may not want every 15-30 year old hyped-up shithead on the street at 2 in the morning to be carrying a 6" blade. If you're on your way to the lake with your son and wearing a Life is Good tilley hat I think that's a case where the knife is being used legitimately.

I'm not saying I agree with the law. Just saying that if they want to enforce it they can - because the courts will establish case law around it.

11. Apr 10, 2016 at 7:37 PM
    Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Don't taze me bro!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jer
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '10 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    TRD Supercharger + too much stuff to list. Click sig pic
    Why not? If they're not doing anything illegal with the knife (that's what actual laws are for) then I see no reason that they can't carry it. This idea that we need to make everything illegal just in case someone wants to do something already illegal with it to prevent them from doing the illegal thing is absurd and an affront to Liberty. It's our duty as American citizens to challenge laws that are bogus. A cop on the side of the road measuring knives seem to fit that bill IMHO. That's all I will say on that subject before it gets political.

12. Apr 10, 2016 at 8:32 PM
    Lifeofbrian

Lifeofbrian Longing for the far East

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TUNDRA 5.7 Rock Warrior
    Stuff
    Before i started keeping this in my truck i read up on the law and if i remember correctly i found information that lead me to believe it was okay to carry it.

Ill see if i book marked the site.

20160218_184344.jpg

13. Apr 10, 2016 at 8:43 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    I acknowledge you are not going to say anything else about it but you asked me a question. There are lots of reasons for such laws whether or not I agree with them. You're just choosing to dig your heels in, plug your ears and fight on principal. You can't honestly say there's NO reason for laws like this. There were 181,838 crimes reported in CO in 2014. Over 40,000 of those were assaults. Aside from those, about 3000 rapes and 3000 robberies. I can think of all kinds of reasons why people in Colorado should be better off if there were laws against anyone (including criminals) carrying certain types of weapons in certain circumstances. I carry a SOG fixed blade in my truck that's around 7 or 8" long. I'm not necessarily for such a law but I definitely see the potential benefits, as well as the *bite fist* threat against your God given rights to have weapons in case the British come back. At least try to recognize both sides of the argument. People get so polarized on these kinds of issues and it gets ridiculous.

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  14. May 2, 2016 at 8:14 PM
    K Williams

K Williams Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road V6 MT
    Banks Monster Exhaust URD Stage II Clutch
    Check out KnifeRights.org .

15. Sep 2, 2016 at 10:24 AM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    We can carry collapsible batons in our vehicles in CO so I'm good not needing more than my regular flip blade. :thumbsup:

Jarod888 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top