1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CO mountain pass conditions in Aug/Sept

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by bigburrito, Apr 3, 2010.

?

????

Poll closed May 3, 2010.
  1. Aug

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Sept

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Apr 3, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    bigburrito

bigburrito [OP] Local Man

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    Trying to plan a road trip here for Aug or Sept of this year. We want to hit a few trails while were out there, such as Black Bear and Imogene, just wondering what the conditions will be. Is Sept getting too late in the season snow-wise or should it be ok still.

Cliffs notes:
    August or September best for CO off roading road trip?

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    bigburrito

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    Demello sliders, fog lights anytime, 265/75R16 Duratracs, 60" HiLift, VIAIR OBA 2.5 gallon tank, FM Super 44, TSB springs, 5100s at .85, bent tailgate
    calling all cars.. Somebody has to know what the snow situation is like in Sept. is this a stupid question? :confused:

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    WPTaco

WPTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nige
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    19 D.cab OR, 6 speed, Cavalry blue
    Southern styles bumper and sliders, 6112 lift, OTT tune, pro grill
    I live in the Co mountains (Winter Park area) and it can snow any month here....snowed heavily on July 4th a couple of years ago!!! Less chance of snow in August and warmer weather than Sept but Sept is still great weather usually and leaves changing etc. Either would be good!!

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    I wheeled the CO front range in August 08. Still some snow above 10k ft but the trails were all clear. One pass was closed since the switch back washed out, I did not know that. The trailhead wasn't blocked and the branching trail involved taking u turn behind a bush in rocks. Ended up halfway up the switchback, scraping sliders on the left and the passenger side was about 6 inches from the loose gravel steep side of the mountain. Trail didn't give out and I made it up to the pass. Then my wife told me how close we were to falling off the mountain:eek:

5. Apr 8, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    dispatcher101

dispatcher101 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1995 SR5 V6 EXTENDED CAB
    2" Body Lift, 2.5" Fabtech in Front, 3" Alcan in Rear, Lockrite in Rear, 33" BFG K2 Mudders, Sliders
    I tried Immogene 2 years ago in June and the top was still snowed in. But it was freakin' awesome up to that point. From what I understand the snowpack is pretty low this year. But it is Colorado so rules never apply when it comes to weather. Always wanted to do black bear. Maybe a trip is in order this year?

Anyone know when Wheeler Lake is clear of snow? If you have never done it; it is an amazing view at the top!!!

6. Apr 8, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    JManders

JManders Assistant to the Regional Manager

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    Warn driving lights, Aries brush guard, tow package, removed mudflaps, Uniden CB radio, Firestik antenna, PA horn, deck plate mod, K&N air filter, blacked-out badges, Hella SuperTone horns, 20% tint all around, fog light mod
    there won't be a whole lot of snow up here even if you're driving in September. And if there is, it won't be anything your Tacoma can't handle. If you're looking for no snow, I would pick August as the weather here in CO is unpredictable... snow comes at any time. This year the snow sucked.

7. May 20, 2010 at 3:16 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
  8. May 20, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    bigburrito

Member:
    DuPage County
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD OR
    awesome, thanks for the link. we settled on the third week of Sept (11-18) for our trip.

9. May 21, 2010 at 1:09 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Hope you have fun! The San Juans is a beautiful place to wheel. Come prepared, 13,000' ain't no joke!

10. May 21, 2010 at 1:11 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    When I went in July of 2008, there was still a decent amount of snow in the highest of elevations. It's VERY beautiful. :)

You'll have a blast!

Products Discussed in

To Top