1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Code P0120

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mootsman, May 16, 2011.

1. May 16, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    Mootsman

Mootsman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Gunnison, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5
    3" Fabtech Lift
    Our 02 3.4 Tacoma threw this TPS code today. I have searched and read a bit on here, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I cleared the code and it hasn't come back, but I've only driven about 15 miles. I did clean the intake and butterfly area with carb cleaner. The truck seems to run fine except that it idles at 900 rpm warm. I read some posts suggesting that you remove the TPS and clean it. I have some MAF cleaner that would probably work. But if I remove the TPS, do I have to readjust it with an Ohm meter? Not sure I want to get into that.

Also, I read several posts about also cleaning the Idle Air Control. Where is that? I've done it on the Subaru, but never on the Tacoma.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. May 16, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    No adjustment for a clean MAF. Use the throttle body cleaner on MAF and IAC. IAC is on the throttle body. It opens and closes a passage past the throttle.
    Don't use carb cleaner. It will eat seals.

3. May 16, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    Mootsman

Mootsman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Gunnison, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5
    3" Fabtech Lift
    Thanks, yes, i should have specified that I used throttle body cleaner. Also, I used MAF cleaner on the MAF. I was asking about adjustment if the TPS is replaced, not if the MAF is cleaned.

I went out and cleaned everything again. I found the IACV, but did not want to remove it unless I have to. It is late, and a storm is on the way. Anyway, it was still idling at 900 - 1000. I then reset the ECU, and it immediately dropped to 650. We'll se if it stays. I would still like to know about the procedure for R&R on the TPS just in case.

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top