1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Air Intake vs. Stock Intake... Help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hendy505, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dec 13, 2016 at 7:34 PM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    Interesting read. Thanks for posting that.

mechanicjon[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 1, 2017 at 10:42 PM
    PFD FIRE

PFD FIRE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    265/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac Tires, Total Chaos UCA, Bilstein 6112 Coilovers (front) Bilstein 5100 (rear), TRD CAI, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rough Country/Lamphus LED lights, rear ARB locker, Baja Rack
    I have a TRD CAI and for the most part I'm pretty happy with it but now that I do a lot more off roading I'm reconsidering going back to the stock air intake for better dust filtration. I'm also going to add a Safari Snorkel with the stock air intake. Unfortunately Safari Snorkel's are designed to fit stock air intakes not TRD CAI

3. Oct 2, 2017 at 5:02 AM
    tony2018

tony2018 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can you snap a picture? I'm unable to find a picture of the TRD CAI for the 1st gen.

PFD FIRE[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Oct 2, 2017 at 5:58 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Go back in time 6 years and ask. Op is probably busy now.

5. Oct 2, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Even though this is resurrecting an OLD thread, I'd have to agree that CAIs are fairly useless, unless you like noise. When I bought mine 04 doublecab (in 2006), that's the one thing the original owner did, a stupid CAI. My truck failed smog test 2x in the last decade, and both were because this stupid thing (though not because of anything physically wrong with it). Are they "technically" more efficient? Probably, but we all know what happens when we mod our trucks to make more power/efficiency. We push harder on the go fast pedal (or in the case of the CAIs, the "make loud pedal").

If I weren't so lazy, I'd have gone back to OEM a long time ago, but yeah, I'm lazy. Maybe if I ever put a snorkel on the thing I'll get rid of it...

The funny part is these things aren't even "cold air" intakes. If anything, it is less insulated form the engine heat than the stock airbox - that heat shield does absolutely nothing. Get a snorkel if you want a cold air intake...

6. Oct 2, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    I'm one of a very few who did the "Elbow Mod". It costs nothing, and because of its positioning it only draws outside air. On a visual, your airbox looks stock because it is. The thing is that the significantly long, reversed intake tube in your fender is gone so the airbox intake hole is drawing fresh air more directly. I don't know about claims of increased HP (a guy named "Gadget" claimed 3-5HP), but from my own experience, the acceleration around town and full throttle characteristics did indeed change. I just cannot tell if there's any noticeable power increase. IE-it's gained better throttle response. Just offering my own experience.

7. Oct 2, 2017 at 9:26 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Read my tagine :)

5hp is imperceptible in a car. If you have a 5hp , 100lb go-kart and add 5 to it, you will notice it. But in a 150hp 2000lb truck, nope. Going on rule of thumb type math a 5hp increase would reduce your 1/4 mile time by about .05 seconds. That's not 5 seconds, or 1/2 second, it's 5 100th (1/20) of a second over the entire quarter. Any minor hp increase is only seen over a very brief amount of time. It's really only going to show up on a dyno, even then 5hp variances between runs of the same vehicle is well within the norm.

8. Oct 3, 2017 at 1:36 AM
    mechanicjon

mechanicjon They call me "Jonny Stubs"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SC 4dr SR5 TRD Prerunner
    Supercharged, AEM FIC/6, Meth Inj, ION Alloy's, Radio & Phone steering Wheel controls,Fabtech AAL, Billie's wrapped with 880's , Tundra big brake conversion, bully bars and Pioneer DDin Stereo/dvd with exterrnal usb ports. 290K and going strong.
    I did the elbow mod also.

9. Oct 3, 2017 at 2:04 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Read my tagine :)

5hp is imperceptible in a car. If you have a 5hp , 100lb go-kart and add 5 to it, you will notice it. But in a 150hp 2000lb truck, nope. Going on rule of thumb type math a 5hp increase would reduce your 1/4 mile time by about .05 seconds. That's not 5 seconds, or 1/2 second, it's 5 100th (1/20) of a second over the entire quarter. Any minor hp increase is only seen over a very brief amount of time. It's really only going to show up on a dyno, even then 5hp variances between runs of the same vehicle is well within the norm.

I don't get how your "tagline" applies to me as I stated I felt no increase in power. And I agree with your explanation, especially since my truck is just shy of 4000lbs and 190HP.

I did the elbow mod also.

We're a very small club. What if anything did you notice different in your truck after doing the mod?

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  10. Oct 8, 2017 at 8:34 AM
    Tonemaz

Tonemaz Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Deerfield Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    04’ Taco EC 3.4L TRD
    6" Fabtech suspension lift, Dual Flowmaster 40, 33x12.50xR18
    I’ve been wanting to go back to OEM air intake, but needed to get all the parts. I bought a box, hose and filter off eBay but from all the pictures I’ve seen on 3.4 engines, there’s a resonator box and elbow attachments on the intake hose. Can’t find where to get those parts... What is the “elbow mod” also?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Oct 8, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    These guys did a dyno test to see what different air intakes did to the power at the wheels. They also did another video where they found 10hp was about the smallest increase they could perceive in a car (not a truck) with their butt dynos.

1997tacomav6 likes this.
  12. Oct 8, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Have only replaced my AIR filter once on warranty after 540,000 miles, so have saved plenty of money on filters Over 20 years:))

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Oct 8, 2017 at 10:03 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Which intake?

14. Oct 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Cold air intake filter with elbow mod I have

15. Oct 8, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Which brand of intake and filter, tell me you must.

[​IMG]
    :D

I found oem filters are $20 on Amazon. 20 years at once a year (I'm lucky if I do it that often, but I know some people do it every other oil change or as needed as per visual inspection) would be $400. Good ole CA limits the options for me, but I think there is a carb legal one I might go to once my fiberglass fenders are on.

16. Oct 8, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    I have the K&N cold air filter, warranty is a million miles, I clean it every 50,000 miles or so,:)

IMG_7714.jpg

17. Oct 8, 2017 at 6:49 PM
    scheide

scheide Well-Known Member

Member:
    nebraska
    Vehicle:
    84 toyota
    4.88 gears, marlin crawler, 4" lift,lockers front and rear,33x10.5 swampers, header, u-bolt flip kit,relocated shocks in rear,walker muffler, pinion e-brake conversion,9000 ramsey winch.
    Anyone care to explain to me what the deck plate mod. is? And the elbow mod.?

18. Oct 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    I will detail the "elbow mod" for you. Your intake airbox has an airhole in its side going into the passenger side fender. Within that fender is an elbow pipe facing towards the rear of the truck, and another pipe about 2' long attaches to that. This puts your actual air intake opening for the airbox right underneath the radio antenna. This was designed so that you wouldn't get water into the fuel system should you be fording streams and such. So guys like me removed the 2' pipe and elbow pipe so that the actual air intake is at the front part of the fender right at the airbox, which is the way it should be anyway. Less restriction, nothing but fresh air with no engine heat.

Far as the deckplate mod, you cut a hole into the front of the airbox and install this deckplate thing you can buy at a marine shop and the theory is you get sort of a forced air benefit there. And you can close that deckplate as one of its characteristics if you wish. Problem with it from what I have read is you stand a chance of getting engine bay heat mixed in with what fresh air you get there. That's what I know of it.

19. Oct 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    The deck plate mod. was explained on Post#31.

20. Oct 8, 2017 at 8:18 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod

Products Discussed in

To Top