1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold air intake

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by rld, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Jan 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I agree with both Chis's on some points each.

I have seen testing done on a Scion tC where they added a TRD "Cold air intake". Made 1 whp improvement. Basically nothing worth the money nor improvement over stock.

I have seen 1GR motors add a TRD and pic up 7-12 whp. Can't remember the torque.

Thus the improvement would be seen to come from not only the flow of the air filter, but also the design of the intake. With out there being a substantial difference between the aftermarket and the stock, there will not be much of a gain to be had.

The motor is going to pull in air. Put your hand, per say, over the throttle body (huge restiction) and you can eventually stop the from a lack of air.

On the extreme other end, remove your hand completely. It will breathe much easier and efficiently. In all actuality that is the purpose of the thottle body disk.

With that in mind, put a very dense perforated material over the throttle body. It will be, inturn, hard again for the motor to breathe. Take it away, and it will breathe freely again. Simple yes.

Now, I know that all of that seems like redundant common sense, but it is still lost to many. My eaisest example, of self, is my turbo kit.

I had a filter on that was from my days with a rear mount setup. That filter would continuously get extremely dirty. Well I had to put it on my front mount so that I could have a filter on, unitl my new one came in.

I had cleaned and cleaned that old filter. Looked good to the eye. But as soon as I did my first test drive with that filter on, versus before with no filter, my truck was immediatly sluggish compared to without a filter. Couldn't breathe well enough, to get the volume of air in fast enough, and thus my boost even came on about 500+ rpms later. Shocked me how badly the performance was with just a filter.

Needless to say, that when my new filter arrived and was installed, the truck got the performance back that was nearly identical to not having a filter on at all.

They do make a difference, but it depends on many things that vary between vehicles.

So, a restriction with a thinner volume of air will have a much greater impact than a similar restricion with a much denser volume of air.

:D

2. Jan 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    First, let me say that I glad see the thread has not degenerated with all the "discussion".

Chris, Here is a quote from an earlier statement of yours from this thread. I like to present quotes in their entirety, it seems more fitting. But only want to discuss the bold portion.

If you do not recognize the pressure loss across the intake system, this discussion can go no further.
    The other thread has a government study, attached and referenced by you, that measures this pressure loss. They use the data to argue other points though.
    In that same thread you say you have seen gains from intake changes.
    "The main restriction is still teh (sic) throttle body. Gadget has tested and found the air box to be a restriction. The dyno's I have done have shown no real gains to be had, accept on the TRD and URD intakes.. (sic) And the TRD didnt give a gain anywhere close to what they claimed. IIRC, they claimed 20 hp, and I saw about 5 or 6. Regardless, MPG is affected by the speed at which you drive. A "CAI" only gives a gain at WOT."

Since you mention Gadget, he wrote earlier in this thread;
    "On many engines an aftermarket intake can be a waste of money.
    I can tell you this I have done extensive dyno testing on the different Toyota trucks and I can tell you for a fact you will pick up power when you get that restictive stock air filter box off of your 1GR engine.
    Out of the ones I have tested, the URD makes the most power improvement. On my 2005 XRunner we picked up around 18 RWHP.
    The next best of the ones I have tested is the aFe Stage 2si. On my 2006 4Runner we picked up 12 RWHP.
    This was using a DynoJet Dyno."

I have to ask, how is it that these intake changes are making power improvements, no matter how significant (or insignificant)?

(too much typing)

3. Jan 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Couple of things to add.
    I do not sell aftermarket intakes or even own one.
    I do not work in the auto industry in any way.
    Do not make any decisions based on anonymous internet bulletin information.
    I do not advocate modifing your truck in any way from it's production state.
    Obey all legal requirements when owning, maintaining, and operating any motor vehicle.
    Your mileage may vary.

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    WTF?????

Lol

5. Jan 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    That was in responce to the messages I have been getting since posting in this thread. Do I have any dyno test results, for web link information, my background, etc.
    Even whether Chris4x4 and I are the same person staging this discussion. LOL indeed.

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Wait......So, are you not who you are, or are who you are? Wait......what. o_O

How dubiously simple a question of simplicit clarity of dubachery. < Sometimes he thinks it isn't spelled right. Sometimes he speaks in third person....or maybe it really is first...

7. Apr 14, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    AhviFree

AhviFree Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio,TX
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 Tacoma
    WTF...this thread is f'n ridiculous

Products Discussed in

To Top