1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold engine towing

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Super Guest, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Jul 9, 2019 at 5:34 AM
    Super Guest

Super Guest [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have a TT weighing in just under 4k. I usually hitch up the night before when I get home from work to leave the next morning. I usually let the engine idle for a minute or so while I get myself situated for the drive, but that does nothing for the transmission/driveline.

Curious if it would be worth it to not hitch up the night before and take a quick drive around the block to get everything warmed up a bit before towing? Or would just easy driving to start be sufficient?

2. Jul 9, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Just easy driving for a couple miles. I do the same. I hook up the night before and just run lightly for several miles with the trailer attached.

3. Jul 9, 2019 at 8:18 AM
    cctk2

cctk2 GLACIERBIRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    NorCal and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '68 FJ40, '16 TRD AC OR A/T WHITE
    Accessories: SnugTop Rebel canopy AVS Window Rain Deflectors TACOMA 6' Bed Mat Weathertech Mud Guards (4) Scanguage (re-installed from the '02) Tekonsha Voyager Brake controller (Chalet A frame pop-up.) Vinyl letter insets for tailgate. Garmin CS60 GPS mounting. Other misc décor in the form of decals.
    Even hooked up cold, once I start the engine, I'm still going to do a walkaround for lights, connections, chocks, then get situationally comfortable.
    In those combined minutes, the engine is certainly warm enough to start out, likely slow anyway.

4. Jul 10, 2019 at 12:04 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Just start it and go. Been towing trailers, boats etc. for many many years with lots of different trucks and never had a problem with start and go. If it were a problem your owners manual would tell you to warm it up.

Mtn Mike likes this.
  5. Jul 14, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    I would just leave it unhooked, drive around and warm up the truck quick and then hook up and complete your checks. This might even be better because you'll get more practice hooking up quickly and will make sure everything is setup correctly on the spot instead leaving everything overnight and driving off and possibly forgetting to check your rig correctly.

Products Discussed in

To Top