1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold Weather Effects?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 6L PSD, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jan 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    6L PSD

6L PSD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCSB OR TXP
    Fogs anytime, locker anytime, Moose lights (Lightforce), Randy Ellis Design light bar
    Just wondering how everyone's trucks are doing in the cold spell. It's my first winter with my 09 4x4 (4 cyl, 5 spd). After sitting at work for 10 hours in -30, it started fine, but the clutch pedal was really slow to release. After negotiating a slippery intersection in 4x4, I "shifted" out of 4x4, but the truck didn't, and the 4x4 indicator light stayed on all the way home. After sitting in the garage all night all systems acted normal, but by the time I got to work (-45) the 4x4 wasn't "shifting" again, and the clutch pedal was slow again. Just wondering if anyone else experienced similar symptoms.

2. Jan 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    The clutch pedal is normal, It is hydraulic and therefore when it is very cold the fluid thickens more than usual. The 4x4 issue does not sound normal, but the lowest temp I've used mine in is -4 and it worked fine. At -30 maybe the vaccuum actuator at the front diff fails to operate properly. I would call the dealer and see if that's normal.

3. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    prae

prae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 BSP DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s, eibach springs, AAL, TRD anthracite FJC rims, PIAA Fogs, Pace-Edwards hard rolling tonneau
    Im my '06 auto, I have not had any troubles with 4x4 engaging or disengaging, even in -40 weather.

4. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    My seats are cold. Other than that, it's a champ!

5. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    My '09 is doing great. Started right up each time. Heater warms up quickly. In fact, this is the first vehicle that I've ever owned that didn't have at least some squeeks and rattles when it got really cold out. Solid as a rock!!!

6. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    mine is doing fine in buffalo, but being that cold in the north pole is probably the reason. Do you have a starter??? even here i let it warm up about 5 minutes before getting in. and if i do want to engage 4wd or take it out, i try to try to drive a mile or two to get the driveline temps up before switching in/out of 4wd.

7. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    ya sometimes the 4x4 takes a while to engage but in -40 temp nothing really works very well

8. Jan 12, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    No problems here. I've noticed my clutch pedal just the slightest bit slower to return at first in extreme cold, but it's not an issue and seems to go away almost immediately.

Still starting right up on the original battery now three years and 44K miles later.

9. Jan 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    those are extreme temps bro! brrr... sometimes mine does that not wanting to shift out of 4hi when its cold but after shifting to neutral and back to drive it always works. but of course it wasnt quite that cold here in the bluegrass state!

10. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I actually had similar problems with the 4x4 system at similar temps. When I tried to engage it the light would just flash. Eventually it would engage and the same thing occured when taking it out. When it warmed up to even -20 or -25 it worked no problem at all. Honestly I just chalked it up to the extreme cold because like another poster said, in those temps sometimes things just don't work like they "should". I know that sounds like a lame excuse but it's what I've experienced with other vehicles. I'm not sure what sort of system is used to engage/disengage 4WD on these vehicles, but anything mechanical at those temps can be unpredictable. On my old F-150 with a floor shifter, at those temps I literally couldn't budge it until the vehicle had run for a long time so I suspect it's something similar.

Other than that, the truck was just fine in the cold. It started just fine after being plugged in at those temps and the heater also got warm fairly quickly. I did have to put some air in my tires (tire pressure warning gauges worked, LOL) but that's about it.

11. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    Gsquare

Gsquare The G stands for smooth

Member:
    First Name:
    GG
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2018 - TRD Off Road 4x4 - Cement / Graphite - DCSB
    ReadyLIFT 3/2 Lift Kit, T-Force TRD Black Satin Spoke Wheels, OEM TRD Red/Black Resin Center Wheel Hub Covers, Toyo P285/70R17 Open Country AT's, SpiderTrax 1.25 F/R Wheel Spacers, Blackout Pkg: Tailgate Letters, Badges and Tailpipe Extension, Qi Wireless Charging, LED Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Shark Running Boards, Weathertech Floor Mats, U.S. Airforce Decal Drivers Side Rear Window, MESO Gasshole Fuel Cap Holder, OEM Trailer Hitch Cap
    Only had a bit of snow and ice here in northeast Texas so I didn't get to =really= put my '09 Taco to the test. I was hoping for some iced over parking lot fun!

Only complaint is that when the temps dropped below freezing my low tire pressure light came on. I checked the pressure (tires warm) and it read normal. I went ahead and aired them up a couple PSI but the dash light stayed on. The next day, the dash light went off. Temps were in the upper 30's.

Temps then dropped into the teens and the light came back on. It's been on steady for the past week. Drives me crazy to see that amber light on all the time.

Still below freezing at night but warming into the 40's during the day and =still= the light is on.

Checked the tire pressure and it is normal. Is this TP system just wack or what?

12. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Have you checked the spare? Or...I see you have an '09, did they still put a sensor in the spare in the '09s?

13. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    Gsquare

Gsquare The G stands for smooth

Member:
    First Name:
    GG
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2018 - TRD Off Road 4x4 - Cement / Graphite - DCSB
    ReadyLIFT 3/2 Lift Kit, T-Force TRD Black Satin Spoke Wheels, OEM TRD Red/Black Resin Center Wheel Hub Covers, Toyo P285/70R17 Open Country AT's, SpiderTrax 1.25 F/R Wheel Spacers, Blackout Pkg: Tailgate Letters, Badges and Tailpipe Extension, Qi Wireless Charging, LED Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Shark Running Boards, Weathertech Floor Mats, U.S. Airforce Decal Drivers Side Rear Window, MESO Gasshole Fuel Cap Holder, OEM Trailer Hitch Cap
    Good point, man. I honestly don't know if there is a sensor on the spare. I think I read somewhere on this site a long time ago that there is. Have to go searching.

I overlooked the spare since the dash light went off the day after I aired up my tires.

I still need to drop the spare and flip it over to make it easier to check the pressure.

Ah, it's always something. :D

14. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    CO-DayTripper

CO-DayTripper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 V6 PreRunner SR5
    ARE top, D-Ring install, tailgate anti-thief mod, iPod adapter, rear power bank
    Yeah, I agree with others, check your spare. I went through almost exactly the same thing, and finally checked the spare, it was down 10 psi. I don't know how it went that low that quick to set the TPMS light, but once I filled it back up, the light went off.

15. Jan 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    CO-DayTripper

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 V6 PreRunner SR5
    Oops, responded to quick - glad you got it fixed. I think, from reading here on TPMS, the '09 didn't include the spare, but I may be wrong.

16. Jan 12, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    CO-DayTripper

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 V6 PreRunner SR5
    Only a small glitch with the TPMS when it dropped to the 'teens (probably nothing for you guys!). Of course, if y'all would quit sending us all that Arctic air, I wouldn't even have had that problem.

:rofl:

17. Jan 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    not a problem with my 08 has just over 31000kms now went up north a lil while ago just before xmas everything was smooth as butter in -35ᵒC

18. Jan 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

my 07 has tpms and i had the same issue it seems, light came on, put air in all tires, didn't go off, took to dealer, said its prob the spare, they did it and all was good, i didnt' wanna deal with lowering the spare and all that nonsense, i have roadside assistance with the 7 yr 1ook warranty, so i never plan on lowering the spare, that will be their job for the next 5 years

19. Jan 13, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    jr114

jr114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Ext travel CO, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Maxtrac Spindles, Icon RR rear w 2"aal.
    what??? -35 -40!!! how the hell do you guys live like that? its mid to upper 60's even low 70s in so cal and im complaining.

20. Jan 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM
    kahos

kahos Member

Member:
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Haven't had any issues in -35c temperature with my 09 2.7l 4x4

The clutch is not operating as smoothly as it would in warmer weather but that's to be expected to a certain extent I guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top