1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cold weather Tacoma's

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by surfsupl, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Jan 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    Have had a few days that it cranked real slow but it did start and ran good, no other real issues.

2. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

it would be worse for me due to my 3rd nut and all........................

3. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I beginning to think of trading in my higher taxes for lower temps......:)

4. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    Clutch pedal is harder to push and squeaks a little in the mornings. Been in the teens here the past few nights and she sits out in the weather :(. Probably get into the single digits here in the mountaints before the week's over. Original battery. She's started fine except for one day (It wasn't even THAT cold...somewhere in the 20's I think)She was slow turnin over, but then cranked up. Supposed to get some snow (FINALLY!!!! Take that, "Global Warming") at the end of the week. Hopefully they're right and we'll get to go out and have some fun in the Taco.

5. Jan 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    starts like a champ no matter what

6. Jan 5, 2010 at 3:44 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    Not recommended.
    The trucks are calibrated for everything to run properly, dependent on each other fussy part.
    The factory therostats are sufficient.

7. Jan 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    You should have opted for the cold weather model when you bought your tacoma. This model is powered by a small ammount of uranium and starts up every time guaranteed for the next 2000 years.

8. Jan 5, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    no problems except i freeze my nuts off walking to the truck

9. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    gptoy

gptoy 09 DCLB TRD Sport

Member:
    Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 T4R TRDOR
    -43 C here a few weeks ago. Used the block heater, not sure if it was my battery but anything below -30 and it wasn't turning over too quickly so had to plug in.

That, and my doors wouldn't latch. When I closed them they'd just bounce and catch on the safety latch, not completely closed. I tried a few times and just kept bouncing. After I let it warm up for a few minutes she'd finally catch.

Rest is typical cold weather stuff, re-rounding the tires down the road a bit as they freeze out-of-round and drinking gas like nuts warming it up all the time.

10. Jan 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    My truck hates the cold weather. I guess the fact that I baby it and park it in the heated garage everynight might have something to do with it but here goes. When I leave from work to drive home (about 12 min drive, 7 miles) the temp gauge doesn't move off of cold (24 was the high today) Transmission shifts really hard when cold, the heat takes me driving on the expressway for about 15-20 min to get warm enough to turn on, Gas millage is about 12-14 with no warm ups.... Overall the bad MPG and taking forever to heat up is what irritaes me the most... I can't wait for the summer!!!!

11. Jan 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    MINTaco

MINTaco Active Member

Member:
    On a Lake in MN
    Vehicle:
    08 V6
    DIY Block Heater, Weathertechs, A.R.E. Utility Topper, aFe Pro Dry S
    Picked up my new Tacoma on 12/31/09 and since then we have had - 26 F, -21 F, and -16 F. Had no block heater when I bought it. Installed it today by following the info here and other sites. I AM NOT mechanical and it was pretty easy. Gonna need it tonite as it will be -20 F again and figured she needed a break.

12. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Pioneer MVH-p8200 hu with XM receiver using TSS supplied shark fin cable, Mud Flap cut mod.
    I don't get it. It's started fine for days with cold weather. Took it to lunch no problem. Leaving from work to home this evening and the damn thing didn't want to crank over. Longest time I ever cranked it since I've had it. Regardless of priming. One thing I did notice was a noise from under the hood like a blower for about 2 seconds during the time I tried to start(intake?). It eventually did start but I've never had this with fuel injected vehicles I've ever owned. MAF sensor too cold? i'm not a mechanic by any means. I just don't get it. A 2010 no less.

13. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    yeah when i woke up this morning it was like high 50's when i walked out to my truck in my shorts i thought to myself... i shoulda wore pants... then i opened the door and when i started driving i only rolled my windows down halfay instead of all the way

14. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Sounds like hell!

15. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    it was horrible! i thought what am i doing living here?

16. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    4 wheel drive having probs engaging in below 0 degree weather! WTF?!!!!

17. Jan 31, 2010 at 4:09 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Just looked outside, it's 10 F where I live in NJ. Been using the oil pan heater a lot lately.

18. Jan 31, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    Luc@z

Luc@z Well-Known Member

Member:
    NKY
    Vehicle:
    07 SW DCSB SR5 4X4 Manual
    Mine heats up fairly quickly. By the time I hit the expressway (~ 5 minutes) the needle is at the cold line and within another 5 minutes or so it has usually gotten to normal operating temperature. I take it easy in cold weather, and try not to push the RPMs past 2500 until the engine is a quarter warmed up.

The cold does make it idle pretty high. The other day it was in the low teens when I left for work, and my truck was idling at about 1500RPM. 1st gear can sometimes be a pita to shift into until things have warmed up. I also get a kind of whirring noise when sitting at idle. It goes away after I put it in gear and/or things have warmed up.

Products Discussed in

To Top