1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Collapsable Bicycle Wheel Holder

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Paul's TRD, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD [OP] I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Not sure where this should have gone but 2nd Gen seemed right since I mounted this to the utility rails that the 2nd Gens have.

Here you go:

I already had a fork mount bike holder and on my previous truck I used to have a wheel holder that was mounted horizontally, basically was stationary and stuck out the bed rail about 15". well I gave that wheel holder to a friend, b/c I then bought a Tahoe and just started using those rear bike carrier, so I had no need to take off front wheel. Anyways, I needed the wheel holder again but I didn't want it sticking out stationary this time. I wanted it to fold down, however if I just had it fold down with some type of hinge, I'm sure the take off and braking would make it swing back and forth.

Without further adieu, here is my write up on making that collapsable wheel holder.

First I got some 1" aluminum strap and measured and cut to hold a wheel. Fairly easy, it's a no brainer.

[​IMG]

Wheel holder made. I painted it semi-gloss black to match the bike holder and of course makes it a little more stealth.

[​IMG]

I went to my local hardware and picked up two spring tension hinges. the kind they use for screen doors. they work great and cost about $14.00. Drill your holes in the wheel holder to match the holes in the hinges. Of the aluminum strap I had left over I made a back plate and tapped and threaded to use to hold the hinge on the utility rail. Bolt it altogether and set the tension on the hinge to your liking. I just used the very first tension hole. that's all it needs.

[​IMG]

Here is the finished product bolted on. Now, when you have the wheel off the wheel holder is pushed against the bed walls with a little tension as to not swing back and forth when accelerating or braking. also, my main reason for doing this was to avoid losing space by having these horizontally stationary mounted. I made two and have the other set up on right side of bed towards rear. Total project cost me about $29.99, plus about 1 hr of work.

[​IMG]

Added: 02/27/2011

wanted to add 2 more photos of the setup actually being used. Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Feb 21, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    Very cool. How did you bend the aluminum strap so neatly to make the fork mount? By hand or did you use special tools? I don't think I have the equipment to cut the dropouts, but I think Thule also makes a forked wheel holder that i can adapt, or I can get a machine shop to do it for me, I suppose. I like that its hinged because it will just fold neatly out of the way.

How many times have you driven off with your wheel leaning against the truck after you mounted the bike in the bed? I have done it several times, and if I had a mount like that I would simply mount the wheel first so I wouldn't forget.

Can you post what hardware you used for mounting, and measurements? Thanks and nice job.

3. Feb 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Very Cool!

4. Feb 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    I bent the aluminum in a vise clamp. I like working with all kinds of metals. I weld and fabricate motorcycle frames as a hobby and working with any kind of metal just comes as second nature, but this aluminum really is easy to manipulate. Just mark where you want to bend and on vise clamp let that mark rise above the sight line about 1/8", then as close to clamp as possible starting the bending, if need be a rubber mallet will convince it to bend even sharper, but this was done by hand only. as for the drops out, I just used a portable band saw. First i drilled a 3/8" hole about 3/4" from end then cut down to outer edges of holes at a small angle just to help with mounted the wheel skewer in.

Yes, you could just get a Yakima or Thule wheel holder, but hell, I figured it was so easy to make. the aluminum strap only cost $5 and made two wheel holders.

Fortunately never have driven off without wheel. But damn that sucks if you might accidently run over it.

I used all Stainless steel hardware. I used all 1/8" bolts, stop nuts, lock washers. The hinge I believe was a 3" standard hinge. the wheel holder measure from base to end 14" and wide is about 4"

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    musty40

musty40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD OR
    Very clean.

6. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    that looks really clean. a lot better than keeping the front tire along-side the frame of the bike with some bungee cord attached to the bed rail which is what i do for now.

7. Feb 27, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    added two additional photos of holder in use to original post.

8. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:42 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    Thank you for that detailed response. I guess I could probably do it myself without too much sweat.

I will comment to one part of your reply: you won't run over it, since you likely leaned it against the rear tire. It simply rolls away from the truck then falls like a spinning top. I've done it a few times, being the absent minded person I am. Now, whether someone else rolls over it, that is a different story...:eek:

9. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Thats sick! Goo job.

10. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Never even knew there was such a thing. Well I guess I've seen em and never cared. Not shabby. Better than my way.. just tossing them in under the bikes.

Off to the shop.

11. Feb 27, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    Awesome idea! I am going to have to do this someday soon.

12. Mar 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Bump for anyone else interested in this.

13. Mar 17, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    I like it!

Just as a thought, if the hinge is applying down force when the wheel is in place, couldn't you cut the slots from the bottom side? Then you wouldn't need to tighten the axle bolts.

14. Mar 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    outxider

outxider Never stop exploring. Rest in Paradise Big Bro.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sang
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4x4
    A few mods here and there and counting....
    I will be copying this very soon. Great job!

15. Mar 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    red yoda

red yoda ASE Master Certified Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    brandon
    Mount pleasant,mi
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tacoma SR
    [​IMG]
    looks great but i hope you didnt cut through the power cord.

16. Mar 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    No of course not. By the time I took this picture, I had already made my cuts and was finished. It was taken for story telling purposes only. :D

17. Mar 17, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    Paul's TRD

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    You know, If I set the pressure on the hingea little tighter that would probably work, but I would still feel some how it would come lose. But I like the idea. Hopefully some takes my idea then adds yours and give some feedback.

18. Mar 17, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    gy4648

gy4648 Active Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner 4.0L
    Stock as of now

Products Discussed in

To Top